• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trendy?

Matthew Grant

OK, I've got reservations at Ambassadeurs, Gaya and Mon Viel Ami. All thats left is to find a Cool/trendy restaurant packed to the rafters with good looking people (so that I don't stand out too much :laugh: ) where copious amounts of drinking are encouraged and the food is acceptable. Alternatively a good restaurant close to a similar spec bar will fit the bill.

Any ideas?

Edit to add: Should be open on a Saturday

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

OK, I've got reservations at Ambassadeurs, Gaya and Mon Viel Ami. All thats left is to find a Cool/trendy restaurant packed to the rafters with good looking people (so that I don't stand out too much :laugh: ) where copious amounts of drinking are encouraged and the food is acceptable. Alternatively a good restaurant close to a similar spec bar will fit the bill.

Any ideas?

Edit to add: Should be open on a Saturday

I would think that Mandalaray would fit the bill.

34 rue Marbeuf, 8th. 01 56 88 36 36.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Just to add that I was at Buddha Lounge a few years ago and it was bloody awful, Isn't Mandalaray just Man Ray rebadged?

Maybe I should adjust my criteria a little, it doesn't have to be too trendy just have a good buzz to it, sort of like Nobu Berkeley in London (I don't want to go to Nobu Paris). What about a decent restaurant with a decent bar attached?

Forget Mandalaray, it's terribly passé. And Nobu Paris has been out of business for years now.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Forget Mandalaray, it's terribly passé. And Nobu Paris has been out of business for years now.

So where would you go then?

These kind of places are not my thing. I have two girl friends both dating 30 something year old French "investment banker" types and they always seem to go to ManRay on Saturday nights.

I recently went to Delaville cafe which I liked very much, but I don't think this is what Mathew Grant is looking for.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

These kind of places are not my thing.

Me either. Thus I hesitate to suggest anything but I am told by much younger folk that The Kildare, 6 bis, rue du Quatre Septembre in the 2nd, an Irish bar with a mixed Anglo-Franco clientele, really hops at night. (I have only been inside during the daytime so this is not a personal endorsement but secondhand info).

I have, however, been inside the pub just north of the Opera Bastille on the place de la Bastille between acts and while I cannot find its name, it is packed and hopping too.

The place I've been that had the unholiest, if there is such a construction, of dins of music and voices was the Totem in the Palais de Chaillot that I thought had closed and been rebranded but see still listed on the web.

But I agree with Felice that others with vastly more experience with boites should join in here.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I've been to Gaya, a good resto but a conservative crowd. Try Kong, It was filled with trendy types.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

I'm already going to Gaya, don't care about the crowd there or the other places I've booked, just want a livelier Saturday night.

John whats the bar like at Senderens, any less conservative?

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

I'm already going to Gaya, don't care about the crowd there or the other places I've booked, just want a livelier Saturday night.

John whats the bar like at Senderens, any less conservative?

Yes it's less formal; more tapas type stuff and easier chairs but I have not been at night. I do believe Le Zouave and Felice and I'll bet Ptitpois have though.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Forget the Passage Senderens bar, it's disgusting. For a real bar experience try the Hemingway (expensive), or Le Forvum, or the Rosebud in Montparnasse.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Most of the 'Trendy' restaurants in Paris are terrible for food. Avoid: Buddha bar, Kong, Mandalaray( I heard an appaling report two days ago), La Cantine du Faubourg(It does have its followers - I haven't been for quite some time) and most of the others.

Try:

Market - Jean-Georges' first restaurant in Paris and although not as big as the other 'lounge bar restaurants' still has a vibe and pretty good food (french/japanese)

Costes - Still the trendiest hot-spot hotel with a great bar. The food is reasonable fusion/contemporary french, but it is a place which is still the reference in style - everybody who is anybody goes there. Decor is napoleon III, in a Dracula-style residence with large expressionless portrait oil- paintings. Piped club music - A real 'trip'. For saturday you can only reserve two days before, so make sure that you call early on thusday morning to get a table. For dinner they take reservations at 8:30 or 10:30(or later)

Barlotti - Italian Buddha bar spin-off with much better food, such as the white truffle risotto(when in season) which is rather good.

Food glorious food, nothing quite like it...

John Talbott stated:

"... I have, however, been inside the pub just north of the Opera Bastille on the place de la Bastille between acts and while I cannot find its name, it is packed and hopping too..."

Bwhaha! John, the life that you lead - between acts; says so much...

Edited by BigboyDan (log)

I loved the Moose Bar in the 6th. Lively and fun with Canadian Beer and great poutine. The Stanley Cup will be on TV for another couple of weeks. The food is good bar food . Knock back a Labatts IndiaPale Ale (chilled of course) :cool:

Edited by Fai Jackson (log)