• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What You Notice at Restaurants

LaurieB

Has anyone mentioned the grande finale, the presentation of the check?

Any interesting devices to hold the receipt when brought to the table?

A tiny manila envelope with "The Damage" on the outside - I always smile.

A tiny manila envelope with "The Damage" on the outside - I always smile.

WHERE WAS THAT?

Any kitschy presentations therwith in NYC/BROOKLYN?

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com

A real peeve for me is a busser asking "Can I take that?" while I'm still chewing. I understand that you may be clearing other dishes and that you'd like to be efficient, but, if I'm still eating, you're making two trips. Perhaps it's a local phenomenon, but I've noticed this a lot lately. If I have to swallow to answer, I may want to hang on to the plate for another coulple of seconds.

Another trigger for me is getting carded (Just turning 30.) I'm perfectly happy to present my ID to anyone who feels the need to see it, but I would like to be asked nicely. Writing down my drink order and barking "ID" without looking up doesn't cut it. I'll ask servers what they mean by "ID" until I get a complete sentence, ending in please, before I'll help them move on.

To me it's important that the server know what they're serving me. At a local, relatively upscale restaurant, my husband and I made a bet that if any server could ever identify the cheeses on the cheese plate (they've been the same for more than a year), we would buy the server a drink.

We must've asked a dozen times. Finally some savvy server knew his stuff and earned himself a mojito. No other knew the answer before or since, and often they still weren't sure after returning from the kitchen to check.

TRAIN the staff. I guess that's my main point.

"I can sit down, resolved to be moderate, determined to eat and drink lightly, and be there three hours later, nursing my wine and still open to temptation."

Peter Mayle, Toujours Provence

At a New Orleans landmark a few years ago everything went fine if not inspired. When we left we went past the service door on the second floor and it was FILTHY- really FILTHY. Any place that demands a dress standard should be able to keep its service door clean. The sad part is that this door is my last impression – and remains my last impression. Folks, wipe down your service doors.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

To me it's important that the server know what they're serving me. At a local, relatively upscale restaurant, my husband and I made a bet that if any server could ever identify the cheeses on the cheese plate (they've been the same for more than a year), we would buy the server a drink.

We must've asked a dozen times. Finally some savvy server knew his stuff and earned himself a mojito. No other knew the answer before or since, and often they still weren't sure after returning from the kitchen to check.

That's truly sad.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Waitstaff at the late, unlamented Philadelphia outpost of Hamburger Mary's used to present the check in a huge plastic high-heel pump.

It was a nice touch, and the High Fifties decor went right along with the campy theme. Pity that the service was haphazard and the food only so-so; the owners--nice guys though they were--weren't up to the challenge of operating a restaurant, especially one that was aimed at a gay/straight clientele but away from the main gay neighborhood yet surrounded by lots of businessfolk they could have made regular patrons out of anyway.

Fun! There's a restaurant I like that presents the check on the typical plastic tray, but the trays are decoupaged with famous quotes and photos. They are a lot of fun.

When it comes to the check, I have only one request: Please do not ask me if I need change. Especially if I have put down a $50 for a $20 check. Just tell me you will be back with my change, and I will tell you I don't need any.

This issue has been mentioned when it comes to food but not "service"--

do not lie to me!  If the wait for a table is going to be an hour then tell me it will be an hour before I get a table.  That way I know what to expect and can order cocktails/wine/appetizers at the bar or where ever I am waiting OR find some where else to dine (if your restaurant is good I will be back when I do not mind waiting or when you are not so busy).  Do not tell me "oh, about fifteen minutes or so..." and then fourty-five minutes later when I come to the front desk wondering about my table act annoyed that I am not sitting and patiently waiting for you to come and find me. 

Yes! Even if it is going to be an hour, I probably will stick around because by the time we decide on another restaurant and drive to it, we'd probably have a table at yours. So there is no need to lie to me.

Along that line, in the restaurant business I think you stand out above the rest if you follow the "customer is always right" rule. I made reservations at a restaurant for Mother's Day and when we arrived they could not find my reservation. They took my word for it that I made the reservation, and seated me at the next available table. They had people waiting about an hour and half for tables at that point, so they didn't need my business on that particular day. But they knew honoring that reservation would make or break future business, and they were right. I was a very happy customer.

Edited by TPO (log)

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I have such a dislike for the word shrimps.. Written is bad, but when spoken, it takes on a whole new level of uncomfort.. Granted, if they make good shrimps, I am going back :biggrin:

I have such a dislike for the word shrimps.. Written is bad, but when spoken, it takes on a whole new level of uncomfort.. Granted, if they make good shrimps, I am going back  :biggrin:

How about when the waitstaff pronouce shrimp as "sch-crimps"?!. Makes me cringe every time.

Among the first things noticed (that have not already been posted) is where the restaurant seats us. In a half-filled restaurant, with adequate tables of all sizes available, if they walk us to the two-top by the restroom door I know it is going to be a bad night. Yes; when this happens we ask to be seated elsewhere, but the damage to the mood, and to our expectations about the restaurant, has already been done.

This has happened several times:

I order and choose the bottle of wine and the server or wine steward presents the bottle to my date and gives them the pre-taste. Excuse me, I'm the one who ordered and chose it, I should be the one it is presented to for approval. I may be 23, and a female, but I'm not an idiot. Not such a problem now (single!) but still, if I go on a date and I pick the wine, let me have the freakin' cork on my side!

There are several restaurants here in Columbus in which the tables are so tight together that you cannot have two people with their backs to eachother get up at the same time... and at those same places the noise is unbearable.

Also, I have to watch out for cilantro in food (can't eat it, as much as I wish I could), and a server should know what are the herbs used in the dishes they are serving. The worst is when you ask a question only to get the blank "I don't know shit" stare.

Has anyone ever corrected a server's pronunciation? There are so many times I've wanted to do that (Brew-shetta, and a fouled-up version of coq au vin, and a super weird version of kirsch).

The "do you need change" also gets me when it is super-obvious (like someone said before, the $50 on a $20 bill). Once I was so frustrated I said, "The service wasn't that good."

And this is just a personal pet peeve, but I hate the giant phallic pepper mills and the "would you like fresh cracked pepper." Doesn't the chef know how to season? And who adds pepper before tasting a dish? I know that some people like this, but I can't stand it. At one place here, they carry their giant mills in their back belt loops ( an odd arrangement that I find unsavory).

Shannon

Edited by Shannon_Elise (log)

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine