• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Roasted Peanuts with Nam Yu

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

Roasted Peanuts with Nam Yu (南乳肉花生)

I grew up eating this style of roasted peanuts using Nam Yu (Fermented Red Beancurds). It is slightly sweet, slight salty and full of flavor. Occassionally I would find them in Asian grocery stores. To make this great snack at home is quite easy.

Picture of the finished dish:

gallery_19795_2953_30108.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 20

Preparations:

gallery_19795_2953_20652.jpg

Main ingredients:

- 5 packs of raw peanuts with skin, 12 oz each (total about 3.5 lb)

- Nam Yu (Fermented red beancurds)

gallery_19795_2953_38847.jpg

It's important to use the raw peanuts with skin.

gallery_19795_2953_2627.jpg

Take 3 small cubes of nam yu. Place in a small bowl. Add 1/8 cup of water, 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt, 2 tsp of sugar.

gallery_19795_2953_1621.jpg

Smash the nam yu and mix with the salt/sugar/water well.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_2953_6699.jpg

Start by pre-heating a wok with high stove burner setting.

gallery_19795_2953_25984.jpg

Add the raw peanuts. (No oil is needed. This is simply dry roasting.)

gallery_19795_2953_1792.jpg

Keep stirring and not let the peanuts get burnt.

gallery_19795_2953_35106.jpg

Pour the nam yu mixture onto the peanuts.

gallery_19795_2953_30835.jpg

Keep stirring and mix the nam yu flavoring in the peanuts. Dry roast using the wok for a few more minutes.

Need to repeat this process. Add at least one more round of nam yu/salt/sugar mixture and roast for a few more minutes.

gallery_19795_2953_2759.jpg

If you have an adequate heat source, you may continue the roasting on the wok to finish. My stove burner is not strong enough. I transferred the peanuts to a baking pan and finished the roasting in the oven.

Set the oven at 400'F. Roast the peanut for about 40 minutes. Every 10-15 minutes, stir the peanuts around so that the ones on the top will not get burnt.

gallery_19795_2953_12344.jpg

This is how they looked after 40 minutes of roasting.

gallery_19795_2953_30108.jpg

The snack is ready.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the testimony, John. Did you resolve to using the oven to roast the peanuts like I did? Or you did it all on a wok/pan?

I am about to make a second batch. See if I can get some better result this time - not have too many burnt peanuts.

80% of my last batch went to my wife's snack jar. :raz:

I actually chose to do the entire thing with the wok, worked out swell, I did however, decide to do two more doses of the Nam Yu mixture. I'm almost tempted to do another batch, even though I have enough on hand as it is, haha!

Edited by jtnippon1985 (log)

Hehe, funny you should mention congee, chris. I decided to have a small bowl of them this morning with my congee, and it turned out great.

PS: hzrt8w, I made the fried bass w/ bean curd sticks and it turned out fabulous. I'm going to post pictures tomorrow so you can see how it came out.

I made my second batch a few days ago. This time it turned out better. I had less burnt peanuts. I roasted them in the oven at 350F instead of 400F for about the same time (40 minutes).

Based on jtnippon1985's post, I increased my dose of nam yu too and it turned out indeed better than my first batch. I love the flavor. I love this feedback loop! :biggrin: The nam yu really brings a lot of flavor. My little unsung hero.

Based on jtnippon1985's post, I increased my dose of nam yu too and it turned out indeed better than my first batch.  I love the flavor.  I love this feedback loop!  :biggrin:    The nam yu really brings a lot of flavor.  My little unsung hero.

jtnippon1985's added two more batches of nam yu. So you'd recommend tripling the portion of nam yu in the original recipe?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

jtnippon1985's added two more batches of nam yu.  So you'd recommend tripling the portion of nam yu in the original recipe?

In my first batch (the recipe posted), I used 2 rounds of nam yu, each round with 3 small cubes of nam yu in the bowl and smashed them.

In my second batch, I used 3 rounds of nam yu, each round with 4 small cubes of nam yu in the bowl and smashed them. So quantity wise I doubled the dosage of nam yu. (I reduced the salt amount for each round so the total salt quantity is still about 1-2 tsp for 3.5 lb of raw peanuts.)

You may adjust all these for your personal taste.

• 2 weeks later...

i made these on sunday and they are SO GOOD.

i didn't have the red nam yu, but i do have the spicy white kind--i don't remember seeing the red kind at the store but i'm going to look for it next time.

this stuff is like a miracle ingredient. it makes everything better. i can't get over how good it is.

i didn't have the red nam yu, but i do have the spicy white kind--i don't remember seeing the red kind at the store but i'm going to look for it next time.

You might just have created a new entry in Chinese snack food! Thanks mrbigjas. :biggrin: I will try it with some fu yu next time. That's wonderful! I love this feedback loop!

You might just have created a new entry in Chinese snack food! Thanks mrbigjas. :biggrin: I will try it with some fu yu next time. That's wonderful! I love this feedback loop!

oh i get it now--i didn't know the name of the spicy kind. so 'yu' is the name for fermented tofu? and 'nam' is the red, and 'fu' is spicy? got it.

can i ask one more question? why roast them in the pan at all? why not just toss them with the nam yu sauce and put them in the oven, stirring occasionally and adding more nam yu sauce once or twice during the roasting process? does the pan do anything?

oh i get it now--i didn't know the name of the spicy kind.  so 'yu' is the name for fermented tofu?  and 'nam' is the red, and 'fu' is spicy?  got it.

can i ask one more question?  why roast them in the pan at all?  why not just toss them with the nam yu sauce and put them in the oven, stirring occasionally and adding more nam yu sauce once or twice during the roasting process?  does the pan do anything?

Er.... no. :smile: "yu" means "milk" in Chinese. It is referring to fermented tofu. "fu" means fermented. So "fu yu" is fermented tofu.

The word "nam" doesn't mean red. Literally it means "south". Why is it called "south"? I read somewhere that it is referring to the way "southerners" make the fermented tofu. But "south" to whom I was not sure.

I have seen the roasting done strictly on a wok from a street vendor in Guangzhou. I tried to mimic that. For me it's mostly getting the nam yu mixture evenly spreaded (while heated) over the peanuts.

• 4 months later...

Supplemental:

An update:

I got around to do a few more batches of Nam Yu Peanuts since this pictorial recipe was published. I had tried using only fermented bean curd (fu yu) once. It did not do it for me. The taste was rather bland. We really need to "kick" from Nam Yu to flavor the peanuts.

Since then I have been doing a mix: About 2-3 small cubes of Nam Yu and 1 cube of Fu Yu to every pound of peanuts. I use a blender to smash these fermented bean curds and dissolve them in water, along with the addition of sugar and salt, then slowly add the mix to the peanuts while roasting.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Just made this winter's batch and learned an important tip the hard way: don't pour the nam yu mixture onto the peanuts while they're in the wok; the sauce will stick to the bottom and burn. :angry:

Instead, do as Ah Leung suggests: put the roasted nuts into a cold pan, pour the sauce over, and then cook them in the oven. Even with a slight loss of sauce due to the burn, these turned out, again, fantastic. I'll be serving them before dinner with Audrey Saunders's Earl Grey Marteani.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 months later...

I made a batch of these yesterday. Is this the right kind of bean curd to use?

IMG_3707.jpg

It was cut into cubes, but had a more brownish color than that pictured by Ah Leung.

I did 3 12oz packages of nuts. For the sauce I used 5 chunks of bean curd.

I wok-roasted the nuts one package at a time. After roasting, I put the nuts in a cold pan, stirred in about half of the sauce and put them in the oven pre-heated to 350°F.

I did four 10-minute intervals, stirring after each (and adding some more sauce the first few times until I ran out). My nuts didn't seem like they were done (still chewy), so I upped the temperature to 400° for another 15 minutes. I didn't have any trouble with burning.

They still seemed chewy to me and I was worried they wouldn't turn out, but they got nice and crunchy once they cooled.

IMG_3688.jpg

Very tasty. I think I might use more bean curd next time, though.

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

• 6 months later...

This sounds brilliant, thank you for posting it. One question regarding the name — I know 南乳 is red fermented tofu, and 花生 is peanuts, but why is there a 肉 in the name?