• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Outdoor Dining

wfnugent

I am spending an awful lot of time in Philadelphia lately and will be most of the summer. Can anyone offer some suggestions for outdoor dining? Places to sit and have a burger and a beer and watch the people go by or finer dining... (I am in no way suggesting that a burger and beer is not fine dining - burgers and beer go together, well, ... like burgers and beer.)

Many thanks.

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

I am spending an awful lot of time in Philadelphia lately and will be most of the summer.  Can anyone offer some suggestions for outdoor dining?  Places to sit and have a burger and a beer and watch the people go by or finer dining...  (I am in no way suggesting that a burger and beer is not fine dining - burgers and beer go together, well, ... like burgers and beer.)

Many thanks.

Bill

Rouge

Brasserie Perrier

Jake's (Manayunk)

London Grill

Marathon Grill

Anjou

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Most places on Main St in Manayunk (US Hotel Bar & Grill, Thomas, Dereks, Le Bus, Kildares, Jakes, Bella Trattoria, Il Tartufu, Chaaba Thai, Sapphire etc.) ....and the Brew Pub has an area in the back that faces the canal that is outdoors.

la baia on 19th and lombard (?) usually has tables on the sidewailk when it gets warm. casual byo with low to mid range italian food.

17th and Lombard, actually

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

It seems like almost every restaurant is tossing a table or two out front, and it's sometimes really crazy - one can end up continually elbowed by the madding crowds on the sidewalk, or inhaling a lot of bus exhaust. So a slight tweak to this question might be, any especially nice outdoor dining situations?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

It seems like almost every restaurant is tossing a table or two out front, and it's sometimes really crazy - one can end up continually elbowed by the madding crowds on the sidewalk, or inhaling a lot of bus exhaust.  So a slight tweak to this question might be, any especially nice outdoor dining situations?

I really, really don't like it when a restaurant appropriates the sidewalk in front of their door for 'outdoor seating'. It is incredible annoying to pedestrians, who have to navigate diners, servers, and other peds. If you're going to have outdoor seating, do it right: a seating area separated from the sidewalk by a little fence or something. Beau Monde has a pretty good area like this, Southwark has a great one: they've converted the building's back yard to outdoor seating, it's open to the sidewalk but it doesn't interfere with the sidewalk in any way. I understand that Gayle also has a patio in the back that should be open now for outdoor dining.

Also nice are places that have open facades, with doors across the restaurant's front that open fully to let the outside in, like Paradiso and La Lupe. I think Amada has them too, though I haven't been by there since it's been warm out.

Effie's @ 12th and Pine has a back garden, but you can't watch passerby as much.

Le Jardin in the Art Alliance on 18th has a rear courtyard where you can, but it looks out on a street light on pedestrians.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Surprised nobody's mentioned the Caribou Café yet.

That's one of the best outdoor people-watching scenes in Center City.

(Walnut Street just east of 12th, a few doors west of the Forrest Theatre.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Great suggestions from all previous posts. My favorite place for a casual, yet good, dining experience as you watch the city go by is The Bishops Collar on Fairmount. Snag a table outside on a warm summer evening, order the warm proscuitto, cheese and red pepper sammy (or other tasty comforting dish) along with a great beer on tap and just relax and enjoy. The Collar is a great neighborhood pub and the owners and staff are super friendly. It's an ecclectic mix of young professionals and older locals and is always a lively crowd. I believe they still have live music on their miniscule "stage" area at the back of the bar, which gets quite loud and is best enjoyed from outside. The tables are large and line both sides of this corner bar. Can you tell I like it? It's a favorite place to meet my brother, have good food and drink, and enjoy a cigar (or two).

I would also recommend Figs up the street as well. A lively place to have good food and bring your own liquid refreshment on a nice evening. Fork has numerous tables outside bt can get a bit crowded on weekends. Manayunk Brewery's large deck overlooking the river is quite nice on a nice evening, often with live music. Food is so-so but I think they could do a decent burger to go with their brews. Finally, though a little more upscale but one of the nicest outdoor dining spots in the area (IMHO), is the Hamilton Grill Room in Lambertville NJ. Dine outdoors next to the canal (it's BYOB) and then stroll across the tree-lit and romantic courtyard ("Porkyard") and sit at a candle-lit table at the Boathouse Bar for a nightcap, an enchanted evening for sure.

Rich, remind you of an article I wrote for you a little while back? :biggrin:

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

There's always tube steaks from Al Fresca's umbrella room, then walking 'em over to Rittenhouse Square.

Best table in the city for people watching, no doubt!

There's no shortage of outdoor tables, many of them perfectly pleasant, but as came up a while back when we were debating the term "boulevardier," there aren't too many perfect spots for viewing tout le monde on their promenades. Rittenhouse Square might be as close as we come, so as Bob suggests, get some take-out anything, and sit in the park. Or if you can squeeze in at Rouge, you get a similar view, and a darn fine burger.

Not too far away, Tria has a few tables on Sansom Street. It's not as scenic as the park, but there'll be foot traffic to amuse the eyes. Brasserie Perrier has tables on Walnut. The ever hippifying corner of 13th and Sansom has tables outside Lolita, ElVez and Capogiro - again, not so lovely a view, but plenty of people-watching. Sadly Raw is having some troubles opening their little courtyard, I understand, but it has the potential to be really nice.

Washington Square hasn't gotten much buzz as a restaurant (and now we know there NEVER was any mouse poop in the rice!) but the outdoor courtyard is a great place for some drinks, unless it's windy...

As mentioned above, practically every place along Manayunk's Main Street has tables outside. New Hope and Lambertville do too, if you're in the mood for a road trip. I've always liked the back garden at The Swan in Lambertville, no people-watching, just quiet and comfortable.

In the end, just walk around, you'll see plenty of options, just scope it out for a few minutes to determine the balance of a good view, and the likelihood of a bus blowing exhaust into your beer.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Finally, though a little more upscale but one of the nicest outdoor dining spots in the area (IMHO), is the Hamilton Grill Room in Lambertville NJ. Dine outdoors next to the canal (it's BYOB) and then stroll across the tree-lit and romantic courtyard ("Porkyard") and sit at a candle-lit table at the Boathouse Bar for a nightcap, an enchanted evening for sure.

As nice as Hamilton's Grill Room and the porkyard are, and as well prepared as their food is, I got the impression from the initial post that he sought Philadelphia outdoor dining establishments. Lambertville is a great food destination with several worthy culinary standouts, but it seemed to me Bill was looking to get the skinny on Philly places.

The quiet secluded hideaway at Apamate....... :smile:

Wait a second! Does Apamate have a back garden or tables on the street I failed to see on my inaugural visit?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol