• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Don't have many restaurants to enjoy harira around here,but I have to admit it a wonderful concoction.

I don't have a recipe in front of me right now,but I know chic peas,lamb,turmaric,saffron,ginger,cinnamon,smen,celery,onions,parsly,lentils,noodles,tomatoes,my kitchen sink all go in the pot to simmer.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Suvir we hope to start with your recipe first!

I will make some next week.. and write it down. I never wrote one down. You are bad!

I always make it by instinct and memories. Time to document it. Thanks for pushing me to do it.. but if anyone has a recipe... I would love to see it... so I can see what I do differently.

• 3 months later...

On this first snowstorm of the year, I decided to make a large pot of harira to hunker down with. This was my first attempt and I based it upon several different recipes I found on the Internet. Here’s what I did.

I first browned a pound of NZ lamb (bone in) in olive oil. I removed the lamb, and in the same pot, sautéed three finely chopped onions, two chopped garlic cloves, and the following spices: turmeric, ground ginger, cumin, pepper (1 tsp each), 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cayenne.

Once the onions were softened, I added two 19 oz cans of tomatoes, 4 cups of chicken stock and 4 cups of parsley and coriander stock (essentially ¾ bunch of each that had been simmered in water for about 15 minutes, and then discarded). I left it simmering until the meat was almost falling off the bone. At that point, I added in the lentils and left them cooking until tender. I then took out the lamb chunks and removed the meat from the bones. The meat was chopped up and added it back to the soup along with. a cup of cooked chickpeas. It simmered for another 30 minutes, and then I added some angel hair pasta.

Finally, I adjusted the seasonings and I finished it off by gently stirring in 2 beaten eggs mixed with the juice of half a lemon, as well as two handfuls of chopped parsley and coriander. The bowl was garnished with lemon slices, dates and a dash of cinnamon.

I have nothing to compare it with but I love the flavours. For the next time, I think I will decrease the meat and increase the lentils and the chickpeas. I would love to see how others prepare harira to get some point of reference for the next try.

I have nothing to compare it with but I love the flavours. For the next time, I think I will decrease the meat and increase the lentils and the chickpeas. I would love to see how others prepare harira to get some point of reference for the next try.

Exactly what I do.... very little meat if at all. And lots of chickpeas. Also the way I was served some of the best Harira I had in Morocco.

Funny that coming back home in a cab not too long ago, I was craving some Harira... But I am off to dinner.. and will eat whatever our friend serves... Lucky you and yours.....

:smile: