• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's

For me the point of Whole Foods is that I can buy healthy organic brands at a price that is less then the Chain supermarkets for the SAME items (muir glen tomatoes, most of the snack items, etc)  Whole foods has them for less, now I am not saying that they are inexpensive items to begin with, just that Whole Foods has most organic brands for less than the Chains, like A&P and such. 

TJ's does have some organic and natural products so maybe that is why I may compare but I am not comparing their philosophy just comparing on some very specific item.  again, I don't see anything wrong with shopping at more than one store -  I don't define myself by the food stores I shop at - I try to buy organic whole foods but I can find some of those things at TJ's also, not ALL items just some.

And Menton is right when he says they have great marketing - they do make it seem fun to shop there -

i'm shocked to learn that items like muir glen and whatnot are actually less expensive at Whole Foods.

if that's the case, WF might consider some new marketing pointing out that they're not the most expensive guy on the block. because i know lots of people assume they are. hell even i do and i shop there and elsewhere.

For me the point of Whole Foods is that I can buy healthy organic brands at a price that is less then the Chain supermarkets for the SAME items (muir glen tomatoes, most of the snack items, etc)  Whole foods has them for less, now I am not saying that they are inexpensive items to begin with, just that Whole Foods has most organic brands for less than the Chains, like A&P and such. 

TJ's does have some organic and natural products so maybe that is why I may compare but I am not comparing their philosophy just comparing on some very specific item.  again, I don't see anything wrong with shopping at more than one store -  I don't define myself by the food stores I shop at - I try to buy organic whole foods but I can find some of those things at TJ's also, not ALL items just some.

And Menton is right when he says they have great marketing - they do make it seem fun to shop there -

i'm shocked to learn that items like muir glen and whatnot are actually less expensive at Whole Foods.

if that's the case, WF might consider some new marketing pointing out that they're not the most expensive guy on the block. because i know lots of people assume they are. hell even i do and i shop there and elsewhere.

Yes they are and I think Ghostrider had said the same thing about the cereal - I know Barbara's Grain shop that I buy is less money then it is at A&P.

interesting article, Deldino, and thanks for that link! i see they took my advice...months before i offered it. :biggrin:

their 365 brand may be a bargain (i dont' usually buy that stuff, just because i don't and for no other reason), but shopping for your groceries, on a whole, at WF is more expensive for me than shopping at Stop and Shop. if only because i'm buying Prime dry-aged beef (for example) at WF, and Stop and Shop doesn't generally carry the same quality, and other items that may come with a premium at WF.

but, this thread has given me a great idea for my blog, which is to shop for near-identical items, as they relate to how *I* eat, for a week or two at WF and S&S, and see how the prices (and quality) stack up. could be a good learning experience in economics for me.

Edited by tommy (log)

interesting article, Deldino, and thanks for that link!  i see they took my advice...months before i offered it.  :biggrin:

their 365 brand may be a bargain (i dont' usually buy that stuff, just because i don't and for no other reason), but shopping for your groceries, on a whole, at WF is more expensive for me than shopping at Stop and Shop.  if only because i'm buying Prime dry-aged beef (for example) at WF, and Stop and Shop doesn't generally carry the same quality, and other items that may come with a premium at WF.

but, this thread has given me a great idea for my blog, which is to shop for near-identical items, as they relate to how *I* eat, for a week two at WF and S&S, and see how the prices (and quality) stack up.  could be a good learning experience in economics for me.

That sounds great Tommy - I look forward to your experiment in economics.

but, this thread has given me a great idea for my blog, which is to shop for near-identical items, as they relate to how *I* eat, for a week or two at WF and S&S, and see how the prices (and quality) stack up.  could be a good learning experience in economics for me.

Interestingly enough, this is part of the Wegmans philosophy; that you can do your regular shopping at their store and not see a major difference. I have friends who are very budget-conscious who have confirmed that they don't spend more for the basics (milk, eggs, oj, bread, paper towels, etc) when they shop at Wegmans. Of course, it's the rest of the stuff that gets you! :laugh: Too bad we don't have one within close enough range to add them to the list for your test! SIGH...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

For three years I've shopped exclusively at BJ's and Shop-Rite once a week, every week, but in the summer I also hit the farmers' markets and now I've incorporated Trader Joe's a bit. (This means I buy much less at SR, sometimes skipping weeks altogether.)

The staples I get at BJ's are milk, eggs, whole-wheat bread, Cheerios, Skippy peanut butter, Elio's pizza, Gogurt, Yogurt, chicken nuggets, hummus, cheese slices. Even though I've read that if you're going to go organic for anything it should be dairy, the low price of milk at BJ's is a big draw for me ($2.20 or so a gallon).

I buy four gallons of milk a week (three children), so the extra trip saves me about $4 a week in milk alone, thus paying the membership fee (instead of buying milk at Shop-Rite). If I went organic I'd be spending well over $20 a week just on milk. Perhaps, it's worth it; I'm still educating myself. I wouldn't mind better eggs.

Likewise, just because BJ's is a warehouse store doesn't mean it always has the best prices. It often does, but I'll try to do a comparison as well and report the most interesting findings.

~ KenP

Tommy, great idea for your blog.  why not throw in TJ comparisons too? 

because there's nothing there that i want. :biggrin:

actually, i'm all about prepared foods with good, wholesome, honest ingredients. like pasta sauces and soups. maybe i'll do a comparison including TJ on items like that.

now leave me alone...i've got some shopping to do.

[[ actually, i'm all about prepared foods with good, wholesome, honest ingredients. like pasta sauces and soups. maybe i'll do a comparison including TJ on items like that. ]]

there you go!! that's why I totally love TJ!!

[[ now leave me alone...i've got some shopping to do. ]]

haha! you certainly do. now get out there, man!! what's your blog address???

because there's nothing there that i want. 

Some of the items, that, IMHO, are worthwhile at TJs:

WHITE Balsamic Vinegar, from Modena, very interesting and unusual.

Snackmasters Beef Jerky, the best of its kind that I have found anywhere, no chemicals or preservatives.

Frozen French haricots verts (green beans), really good.

TJ's half sour pickles, refrigerated, in a glass quart jar.

Jumbo white pistachios, 1 pound for 4 bucks, a great deal.

Some other items are not unusual but are priced at 1/3 to 1/2 less than anywhere else, I'll think of those on a later post.

Edited by menton1 (log)

I'd be curious to see how those compare, pricewise, with the fresh ones at WF, which seem to be available year round, & are also really good.

I think the fresh ones are around $6.00 / lb but I'll recheck that next time I'm there.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I'd be curious to see how those compare, pricewise, with the fresh ones at WF, which seem to be available year round, & are also really good.

I think the fresh ones are around $6.00 / lb but I'll recheck that next time I'm there.

Price at TJs for 1 lb package is $2.29. Also, the fresh ones at WF are NOT from France. They are a different variety and therefore taste different. The french beans have a unique flavor.

Price at TJs for 1 lb package is $2.29. Also, the fresh ones at WF are NOT from France. They are a different variety and therefore taste different. The french beans have a unique flavor.

The french ones definately have a different taste

Price at TJs for 1 lb package is $2.29.  Also, the fresh ones at WF are NOT from France.  They are a different variety and therefore taste different.  The french beans have a unique flavor.

OK you've got my attention now. The price is right too. I will have to try those.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i lied. I stopped by TJ's and was pleasantly surprised. lots of organic/"natural" stuff. cage-free chcken eggs. and some seemingly good values spread around here and there. i might be converted yet. more details on my experience can be found here.

no one is going to talk me into getting excited about store-bought jerky, though. :biggrin:

no one is going to talk me into getting excited about store-bought jerky, though.  :biggrin:

Who, me? :rolleyes: But seriously, folks, the Snackmasters brand that they sell here is actually miles better than some of the homemade stuff I've gotten online. My favorite is the Beef Teryaki jerky, and its really good. No chemicals whatsoever, and its a bit chewy and soft, you won't chip a tooth on it like some jerkys I've sampled.

New item I discovered at TJs: Jarred marinated mushrooms, no oil. Light and garlickly, a pleasant change from the oil-soaked variety. Also the prepared char-grilled chicken strips make a great sandwich or lunch.

Hey Tommy,

Your blog is GREAT, so interesting. Mrs. Tommy is one lucky girl!

TJ review, very fair. I love the pics & your bill! haha!! you're a riot! interesting reviews of a few restaurants I'm interested in (Legal, Silver & Bistro-en, which I only know about from David Corcoran's review). Like your style!

I'll tell you my favorite TJ stuff in another post.

thanks for sharing your terrific blog!

Marge

ok so i lied. I stopped by TJ's and was pleasantly surprised. lots of organic/"natural" stuff. cage-free chcken eggs. and some seemingly good values spread around here and there. i might be converted yet. more details on my experience can be found here.

no one is going to talk me into getting excited about store-bought jerky, though. :biggrin:

Great Blog Tommy! Thanks.. I agree TJ's is somewhere to go for a few choice items - not the bulk of your shopping. Their hummus is pretty good and they sell it in a 4 pack so you get four different kinds in one big package - I believe they have regular, scallion, roasted red pepper and some other hummus. It is good for parties.

thanks for the kind words.

in way of comparison of WF's prices vs. TJ's:

i went to WF last night. the same olives (i think they were the same) were 4.50 at WF, compared to 3.00 at TJ's. The potatoes were 5.00 at WF, compared to 2.69 at TJ's. Canola oil was slightly less at TJ's.

and i did not take a photo of the WF's receipt.

Edited by tommy (log)

[[ White Balsamic Vinegar from Modena. Sweeter than the dark variety, and under 2 bucks a bottle! Haven't seen this vinegar anywhere else outside of Italy. Great stuff!! ]]

A friend of mine, a real foodie, asked me to get 4 of them for her, so I figured she must know what she's doing and I bought 4 for me, too. I kept one (haven't used it yet) and gave away 3. the recipients were DELIGHTED. Great throw-in when going to someone's house!

marge

Finally made it to the new store today...y'all weren't kidding about those spacious aisles! $35+ later...all in dry goods b/c I wasn't heading home for a couple of hours. Almonds, olive oil, chile/lime chips, pita chips (I was shopping hungry--BIG mistake), pb, lavash, and other stuff I probably didn't need! The place was BUSY.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Interesting article about TJ's in today's Washington Post...

It seems that most people draw the same conclusions about Trader Joe's (not that there's anything wrong with that)!

Three words: BLACK. PEPPERED. CASHEWS. :wub:

They don't seem so peppery when you have one or two, but have a handful, and, well... :wub: