• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's

we've walked in and out of several trader joe's several times and left with nothing.  what am i missing?  seems like a bunch of random stuff.  i hear people wax poetic on their frozen food.  i don't know of many frozen foods that i like.

I could have written the EXACT post, Tommy. When my bro lived in northern CA, I was all excited to go to TJ with him, b/c I'd heard so many people rave about it. We went, and I looked around and thought, "Aaaaaaaand...??" Just don't get it. When I'm in the vicinity, I will run in and out of the Florham Park store to buy almonds and Go Lean Bars by the case, but I'm just not inspired by anything else. And I've heard the same thing about their frozen stuff. Whoopee.

I third that. And have on other threads. The place offers nothing for the way I cook.

Ditto.

I decided to take a ride to the Wayne store to see what all the hoopla was about. I did like the fact that they have my fav Fage nonfat yogurt. But there wasn't much else that I walked out with. The produce looked picked over, and the frozen foods did not interest me, at all. Oh I did buy some really good trail mix. TJ Best Trail mix. It had cashews, papaya, pineapple, almonds and cranberries...yum

Two items doesn't ensure a trip back there, too soon.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Great news about Trader Joe coming to Paramus!!!

It's a grocery story so it's got to be open Sundays. Right?????

I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's my favorite store in the world, mostly for the frozen food. It's healthy convenience food, the stuff I buy anyway. They've got plenty of really fattening stuff, too, but if you're trying to eat healthy, they've got it there big time. I love that place!!

Marge

I was at the Westfield TJs today - and it was a shock. They renovated the inside, it's much roomier.

It's a real pleasure! That store used to be horribly cramped.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I love Trader Joes because they always have a nice set of nuts available. :blink:

Pistachio's shelled, roasted, salted or other nuts as well as dried fruits and other canned cordials, chocolate covered goodies, cookies and their frozen pizza, their cereals and tex-mex food is pretty good IMHO!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

[[ I just heard they are also opening in Edgewater, in the old movie theatre location in the Binhamton Shopping Center. ]]

oh please please please please please please please please please!!!!!!!!!!!!

that would be so perfect for this area. and for me. I called Trader Joe over a year ago and told them that Edgewater would be perfect. I wonder if I get the credit if this is indeed true <ggg>!!

And that Binghamton location would be perfect for the crowds that are bound to show up plus would be a huge shot in the arm for that sorry little shopping center.

Marge

Edgewater / Binghampton would be great! I've been hoping for a Hoboken location (probably would have be in the more newly developed area (e.g. 10th and Madison) so that sufficient parking would be available, but given the success of the Shop Rite back there, think they'd do great.

I'll happily take Edgewater though -- if they open joint Whole Foods / TJs runs would become a routine for me.

Although I like TJs -- currently not worth it to make the 30+ minute trip to the current NJ TJs.

Back in '02, the inside dirt was that they were saving one of their two NJ liquor licenses for a future store in either the Red Bank area, or the Princeton area. So if they're really going to use it for Paramus, I'm a bit surprised. But they're very very stingy about real estate prices, so maybe they just couldn't find anything cheap enough in the greater Red Bank or Princeton areas. Paramus will also rake in the cash, though.

Obviously they'd make a killing if they opened some stores on the shore area and around Princeton/Hamilton. But TJ's never expands with any particular speed. They take their time and wait for cheap real estate. Then they cram as much stuff as possible into as small a space as possible. Thus, the first few times you shop there, you can easily overlook a ton of stuff.

The appeal of TJ's is mainly in the prices, I think. If you're not particularly frugal, TJ's probably won't appeal to you significantly. I'm a cheapskate, though, so I love it. And I love nuts, so I go there to stock up on incredibly cheap cashews ($3.99/lb for whole cashews, $3.19 for halves and pieces). And yeah, they have some pretty decent cheeses. I mostly agree about the frozen foods, though. Nothing special. Well, except the cakes. They've got some awesome frozen cakes. I usually stick with the cookies, though. Those are great too (and, uh, no freezing required -- heh). Wonderful oatmeal choc. chip cookies. Pretty good store-brand version of Oreos, too, but without the horribly unhealthy hydrogenation and trans fats. Good cheap granola too. And I like some of the pasta.

The token produce items are blah. I'm not really sure why they even bother.

And they have a number of other items that I can't see the appeal of, such as a lot of their jarred sauces. And yet, those items stick around, so they must sell really well. Anything that doesn't sell really well gets yanked off the shelves quickly. They're remorseless about that. They introduce new items all the time, which can be fun, but if people don't like 'em, or if they can't continue to get them for cheap, they're gone in a blink. If you like something new a LOT, then think about stocking up, unless an employee can tell you it's a big hit.

drove by Office Depot yesterday. I did not see any signs or any indication of a Trader Joe's opening.

Also Whole Foods was supposedly opening in the former Bergen Mall. It must be a long process.

verified..in July where Office Depot is

They would have to a miraculously rapid job to open in July.. No sign of any construction yet...

agreed. A July 4 opening and no announcements nothing. Looks the same for the so called huge Whole Foods in Paramus - nothing happening.

Looks like this is a no go, all the excitement here was for naught. Westwood isn't that far away, anyway.

Frankly, most of the TJs that I've seen are not on major highways like 17, they are downtown or on secondary roads, so maybe this is not going to fit their MO.

And they have a number of other items that I can't see the appeal of, such as a lot of their jarred sauces.  And yet, those items stick around, so they must sell really well.  Anything that doesn't sell really well gets yanked off the shelves quickly.  They're remorseless about that.  They introduce new items all the time, which can be fun, but if people don't like 'em, or if they can't continue to get them for cheap, they're gone in a blink.  If you like something new a LOT, then think about stocking up, unless an employee can tell you it's a big hit.

I'll admit to really liking their jarred vodka sauce. I tried their other sauces to see if they were as good and they weren't. I'm glad others like it too or they probably wouldn't carry it anymore. They used to have a frozen cous cous salad with raisins, scallions and some other stuff that we liked, but it's been gone for about two years now. It was great with grilled shrimp. They also discontinued my husband's favorite cereal because it wasn't a big seller. (Barbara's Grain Shop). It was a much better buy there than at any other store we shop at.

KathyM

I'll admit to really liking their jarred vodka sauce.  I tried their other sauces to see if they were as good and they weren't.  I'm glad others like it too or they probably wouldn't carry it anymore.  They used to have a frozen cous cous salad with raisins, scallions and some other stuff that we liked, but it's been gone for about two years now.  It was great with grilled shrimp.  They also discontinued my husband's favorite cereal because it wasn't a big seller. (Barbara's Grain Shop).  It was a much better buy there than at any other store we shop at.

question: and i'm not being confrontational: what is "vodka sauce", and, specifically, what is in Trader Joe's vodka sauce?

question:  and i'm not being confrontational:  what is "vodka sauce", and, specifically, what is in Trader Joe's vodka sauce?

The lable says "Vodka Marinara". The ingredients list: tomato puree, cream cheese, vodka, salt, sugar, garlic, onions, citric acid, basil, parsley, oregano and black pepper.

KathyM

question:  and i'm not being confrontational:  what is "vodka sauce", and, specifically, what is in Trader Joe's vodka sauce?

The lable says "Vodka Marinara". The ingredients list: tomato puree, cream cheese, vodka, salt, sugar, garlic, onions, citric acid, basil, parsley, oregano and black pepper.

How bad can it be, Vodka is the 3rd ingredient by volume. :wacko:

"I drink to make other people interesting".

it's what you put on penne.

and that's the only one my friend buys on her trips out to trader joes too.

and nuts, everybody gets their nuts there.

question: and i'm not being confrontational: what is "vodka sauce", and, specifically, what is in Trader Joe's vodka sauce?

Looks like this is a no go, all the excitement here was for naught.  Westwood isn't that far away, anyway. 

Frankly, most of the TJs that I've seen are not on major highways like 17, they are downtown or on secondary roads, so maybe this is not going to fit their MO.

what is your source. What makes you so sure it is not coming to Paramus.

I just got off the phone with Office Depot on Route 17 in Paramus. I asked if Trader Joes is coming and she said YES! I called them before when I confirmed this earlier in the thread...so two people...and annoyed people I might add. I assume many are calling with the same question.

I just got off the phone with Office Depot on Route 17 in Paramus.  I asked if Trader Joes is coming and she said YES!  I called them before when I confirmed this earlier in the thread...so two people...and annoyed people I might add.  I assume many are calling with the same question.

It's unlikely the sales staff at OD are privy to any more info than the general public... just the same rumors.

The key would be to find a key person at ALDI and see if in fact a lease has been executed and the deal is closed. But based on the inactivity at the site and the general MO of TJs to stay away from main shopping highways bodes poorly for this rumor adtually bearing out, IMHO. But only time will tell.

It's unlikely the sales staff at OD are privy to any more info than the general public... just the same rumors.

From what I understand, TJ is being built in part of their warehouse, so they may know something.