• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's

As someone who's too frugal to shop at places like Whole Foods on a regular basis but a lover of fancy foods, Trader Joe's is one of my favorite stores. The Westwood location rocks, but it's a bit of a ride from Fair Lawn. My brother went to the Office Depot on Route 17 in Paramus the other day, and he said they're subdividing the building to make room for a Trader Joe's!

This would be a GREAT location, and since the Office Depot lot has a rear entrance accessible from Midland Avenue, you don't have to pray that you won't get killed trying to get back onto Route 17 from the front entrance of the lot.

Has anyone heard anything? There doesn't seem to be any mention on the Trader Joe's website. If it's true, I'll be there every week!

I called Office Depot as I LOVE Trader Joes...and...it is TRUE!! They are shooting for a July 4th opening!! I go to the one in Wayne...a bit of a drive..I hope this one has wine/beer!

Last Month, I was in the Westwood Store-- at check-the Clerk teased he may not see me after the summer. He explained the Store was scheduled to open the end of summer and would have a liquor department!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

it's nice to finally see a back-to-back posting by you two. i'm not afraid to admit that i get you confused with each other all of the time. for a long time.

is Trader Joe's liquor dept really a selling point? i trucked down to Westfield to buy that 2 Buck Upchuck, and don't recall being blown away by the liquor dept. am i missing something?

Certainly will be a welcome addition to Paramus. I live closer in proximity to the Westwood store, but I shop in Paramus a lot more often than I head in the direction of Westwood.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

it's nice to finally see a back-to-back posting by you two.  i'm not afraid to admit that i get you confused with each other all of the time.  for a long time. 

is Trader Joe's liquor dept really a selling point?  i trucked down to Westfield to buy that 2 Buck Upchuck, and don't recall being blown away by the liquor dept.  am i missing something?

They don't have 2 buck chuck in Westfield. They have a "4 buck chuck" which are actually, very good values. Also some select buys on other wines. But definitely NOT worth an excursion from Bergen County to Westfield.

As far as Trader Joes vs Whole Foods, these are apples and oranges IMHO. TJs has some great unique stuff, some unusual stuff, and some bargains on some regular items. WF is great produce, good cheese, baked goods, a nice variety of organic groceries, and definitely NO bargain prices. Nice meat and fish service depts too. Neither one of these stores is an alternative to the other, they are both excellent in their own ways.

As far as Trader Joes vs Whole Foods, these are apples and oranges IMHO.  TJs has some great unique stuff, some unusual stuff, and some bargains on some regular items.  WF is great produce, good cheese, baked goods, a nice variety of organic groceries, and definitely NO bargain prices.  Nice meat and fish service depts too.  Neither one of these stores is an alternative to the other, they are both excellent in their own ways.

we've walked in and out of several trader joe's several times and left with nothing. what am i missing? seems like a bunch of random stuff. i hear people wax poetic on their frozen food. i don't know of many frozen foods that i like.

I don't care for their frozen stuff either. I like their snacks and nuts and sodas and juices/drinks though.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

we've walked in and out of several trader joe's several times and left with nothing.  what am i missing?  seems like a bunch of random stuff.  i hear people wax poetic on their frozen food.  i don't know of many frozen foods that i like.

Well, as they say in France, "chacun a son gout" . However, you are definitely in the minority. Check out the 15-pager in the New York forum about TJs, may give you some ideas about what to look for. One of my faves is the Beef Jerky, an all-natural one that absolutely blows away anything available anywhere else. I'm not big on the frozen section, either, but I do like many things at TJs.

beef jerky, nuts, soda, and soy milk.

check.

Exactly. To me, its a fancy 7-11. That doesn't make it not worth it to go to, however.

check.

I mean, look, it's a FUN place. Not a "gourmand" stop. Not on a level of a Zabars, or the like. But it's just a fun place if you don't expect the world. And some very unique items. Just chill out and have some fun there.

They also take great pains to hide the fact that it is owned by ALDI, a grocery chain out of Germany. But they are a wild success in the US, several hundred stores. I love the phrase they use, "fearless flyer" on their brochure with their "non-sale" items. (They say they have no need for a sale :) )

check.

I mean, look, it's a FUN place.

yeah. i mean, i've been in them several times and never had fun. no fun to speak of. confusion maybe. definitely not much fun. i guess it's kinda like how some people like roller coasters and others don't.

I wouldn't stop at Trader Joes for fun. Shakers maybe, but TJ's???? Hehehehehe

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

They have a cheap Italian Pinot Grigio which is not bad at 4 dollars or so. Their brand Syrah is not awful..not great...okay though..good enough wine I would say. The Pinot is actually decent. Now..my favorite is the Indian food that is prepacked...under the TJ name. It is really, really good. No kidding. Especially the Eggplant (bhangum burta). I love that stuff!! It is not frozen....better than a lot of the Indian restaurants around here. Really. Good fruit spreads...whole wheat pasta's and tomatoes in a can are at good prices. Frozen veg. lasagna (organic) inexpensive and good. Great news they are coming closer with wine!!

yeah.  i mean, i've been in them several times and never had fun.  no fun to speak of.  confusion maybe.  definitely not much fun.  i guess it's kinda like how some people like roller coasters and others don't.

Or maybe anchovies... love em or hate em.

we've walked in and out of several trader joe's several times and left with nothing.  what am i missing?  seems like a bunch of random stuff.  i hear people wax poetic on their frozen food.  i don't know of many frozen foods that i like.

I could have written the EXACT post, Tommy. When my bro lived in northern CA, I was all excited to go to TJ with him, b/c I'd heard so many people rave about it. We went, and I looked around and thought, "Aaaaaaaand...??" Just don't get it. When I'm in the vicinity, I will run in and out of the Florham Park store to buy almonds and Go Lean Bars by the case, but I'm just not inspired by anything else. And I've heard the same thing about their frozen stuff. Whoopee.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I could have written the EXACT post, Tommy. When my bro lived in northern CA, I was all excited to go to TJ with him, b/c I'd heard so many people rave about it. We went, and I looked around and thought, "Aaaaaaaand...??" Just don't get it. When I'm in the vicinity, I will run in and out of the Florham Park store to buy almonds and Go Lean Bars by the case, but I'm just not inspired by anything else. And I've heard the same thing about their frozen stuff. Whoopee.

I third that. And have on other threads. The place offers nothing for the way I cook.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

We have one in Marlton, about 6-8 miles from Medford and I've been in there 3 times. I find nothing appealing there and too much vacume packed "stuff" for me. I have yet to buy anything and won't go back.

It has good semi-bulk and sometimes hard to find items for home bakers like me--large bags of good chopped walnuts, pistachios out of the shell, dried cherries, etc. And nice snacks--where else can you get pretzel nuggets stuffed with peanut butter? Yum. But the frozen foods do leave me, um, cold.

That Hamburg Turnpike one is a real pain for me to get to, so I'd welcome one on 17, so's I can stop in after Chef Central and the Container Store.

Susan

Agree. I was there today. I don't like the Wayne store, but it's more convenient than FP. I bought nuts, pasta, and some frozen fruit bars.

It has good semi-bulk and sometimes hard to find items for home bakers like me--large bags of good chopped walnuts, pistachios out of the shell, dried cherries, etc. And nice snacks--where else can you get pretzel nuggets stuffed with peanut butter? Yum. But the frozen foods do leave me, um, cold.

That Hamburg Turnpike one is a real pain for me to get to, so I'd welcome one on 17, so's I can stop in after Chef Central and the Container Store.

Susan

TJ's was the first store I knew of to carry the Total yogurt line, now available elsewhere. They have some Niman Ranch meats and some Usinger's sausages. I really like the house brand of wasabi peas. The one wine I go back for is La Boca Malbec from Argentina. For $3.99 it's a great value. They have other varietals under the La Boca label but I don't think they are as good. Some of the frozen veggies are good, the haricot vert for instance, and they have passable frozen meatballs. Passable if you're in a pinch and serving them to children covered in cheese. They also sell a canned Italian tuna under their label that I've seen in Italian markets with an almost identical label, just doesn't say "Giotto Joe's" or some such.

I work very close to the Florham Park location and I'm in Westfield once a week with my kids so TJ's is very convenient. I will say that you can't do a week's worth of food shopping there. They just don't have enough of a selection.

Nut butters, very good, VERY low prices; Cheese, a small selection albeit, but pricing almost half of what you pay at the Supermarket; Vitamins, amazingly low prices. lastly, bulk packages of nuts, excellent quality for bargain pricing. Example: Giant, beautiful pistachios, $3.99/lb.