• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Restaurant Reviews?

Here's a map.

Jean Talon Market is the largest farmer's market in North America.

Montreal Public Markets

Havre aux Glaces

7070 HENRI JULIEN

(514) 278-8696

Thanks so much for the map and address, this should help! I'm glad I asked, I didn't realize it was so big!!

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

Regarding Marché Jean-Talon, it's a 3-4 minutes walk from the métro station. The name of the station refers to Jean-Talon St rather than the market itself which is named after the street. Who the hell was Jean Talon? I do believe he was the first governor of Nouvelle-France (The name given to Québec when it was discovered).

Incidentally, the best Thai food in the city for years was Bangkok in the Faubourg food court upstairs ... sadly gone now. The owners operate the restaurant across the street but the charm and quality is not the same.

Can someone else please confirm that they closed in the Fauberg :shock:; I had lunch on Saturday & it sure didn't look like they were closing shop :sad: . The place across the street I can believe, but Bangkok's like the only reason to step foot in the Fauberg.

Incidentally, the best Thai food in the city for years was Bangkok in the Faubourg food court upstairs ... sadly gone now. The owners operate the restaurant across the street but the charm and quality is not the same.

Can someone else please confirm that they closed in the Fauberg :shock:; I had lunch on Saturday & it sure didn't look like they were closing shop :sad: . The place across the street I can believe, but Bangkok's like the only reason to step foot in the Fauberg.

I could not agree with you more.

Well now I have some hope. Perhaps they were on vacation while the renovations were on?

Well now I have some hope. Perhaps they were on vacation while the renovations were on?

christ, the renovation was a long long time ago. looks like you should check your information for updates more often, harrison. they also have like the worlds largest dollarama next to it.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

christ, the renovation was a long long time ago. looks like you should check your information for updates more often, harrison. they also have like the worlds largest dollarama next to it.

Thank you, oh wise one. What a tragic mistake I made!

You honour and humble me with your excellent tip.

I will most certainly "check my information for updates more often" from now on.

I will most certainly "check my information for updates more often" from now on.

It's "O! Very Wise One, Supreme Overseer of Faubourg Phad Thai (medium spicy for here, just water thanks)" to you, buddy. :raz:

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

It's "O! Very Wise One, Supreme Overseer of Faubourg Phad Thai (medium spicy for here, just water thanks)" to you, buddy. :raz:

Chicken Phad Thai, extra chicken, extra spicy ... lots of napkins.

I'm just glad they're open. I think I'll go now and get my fix.

Do I need to book in advance for Les Chevres? We would like to dine there on a Thursday night, 6/29. So I'm wondering just how popular a place this is, and if RSVPs are recommended even for weeknights.

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

Do I need to book in advance for Les Chevres?  We would like to dine there on a Thursday night, 6/29.  So I'm wondering just how popular a place this is, and if RSVPs are recommended even for weeknights.

I'd book in advance at any "name" restaurant in Montreal during festival season.

Edited by rcianci (log)

mmm_chocolate:

just for one more montreal food resource, there's also www.montrealfood.com...

can you please post back after your trip and let us know how everything went? have fun~!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

mmm_chocolate:

just for one more montreal food resource, there's also www.montrealfood.com...

can you please post back after your trip and let us know how everything went? have fun~!

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'll be back after the trip and let everyknow where we ended up....I'm really looking forward to Les Chevres!