• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Restaurant Reviews?

Hi!

I've been pouring over the Montreal restaurant reviews in this forum and have yet to find any info on the following restaurants:

The Jardin Nelson http://www.jardinnelson.com/en/index.html

Buonanotte http://www.buonanotte.com/index2.html

and

Chao Phraya http://www.chao-phraya.com/

My husband and I will be travelling to Montreal for 4 nights in late June and are looking for awesome places to eat. We will be staying at the Auberge du Vieux Port http://www.aubergeduvieuxport.com/ and so breakfast is covered.

So far, it seems that Les Chevres is a must. Also on the list is La Gaudriole (based on recommedations from this forum).

Other than that, I am still looking for the other two evenings. My husband and I are vegetarians....but we do eat fish. And we love Thai. If anyone has any thoughts on the above mentioned restaurants, or alternate suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!!!

Michelle

Edited by mmm_chocolate (log)

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

I think I just found a thirds restaurant --- Milos http://www.milos.ca/en/montreal/menu/special/index.html which was also based on a (very brief) recommendation on this forum.

Any additional thoughts about Milos are welcome!

"He was a very valiant man who first adventured on eating oysters." - King James I

Haven't eaten at Jardin Nelson, so I can't really comment.

Buona Notte is good if you care more about celeb sightings than food.

For good Asian Vegetarian, I would go to Chu Chai.

Milos is an excellent, though expensive choice for seafood. You may also wish to consider Ferreira (high-end Portugese) for great grilled fish and the normally meat-heavy Au Pied de Cochon is doing their magnificent seafood platters now thru September.

Hope you have a wonderful time in Montreal.

Hi! 

I've been pouring over the Montreal restaurant reviews in this forum and have yet to find any info on the following restaurants:

The Jardin Nelson  http://www.jardinnelson.com/en/index.html

Buonanotte  http://www.buonanotte.com/index2.html

and

Chao Phraya    http://www.chao-phraya.com/

My husband and I will be travelling to Montreal for 4 nights in late June and are looking for awesome places to eat.  We will be staying at  the Auberge du Vieux Port  http://www.aubergeduvieuxport.com/  and so breakfast is covered.

So far, it seems that Les Chevres is a must.  Also on the list is La Gaudriole (based on recommedations from this forum).

Other than that, I am still looking for the other two evenings.  My husband and I are vegetarians....but we do eat fish.  And we love Thai.  If anyone has any thoughts on the above mentioned restaurants, or alternate suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the feedback! 

Thanks!!!

Michelle

You are correct that Les Chevres is a must, but I strongly suspect that you will enjoy La Chronique as well. You can search for reviews of La Chronique on this site.

As for Thai, I believe that the Red Thai is the best in the city. Better than Chao Phraya, not to say that Chao Phraya is bad.

For purely vegetarian Thai, there is Chu Chai but to be honest I don't care much for their food. Not imaginative and a bit bland.

Oh, and I would defintately avoid Buona Notte. Even if you are into celebrity sitings there are better places in the city and the food in and of itself will just leave you feeling ripped off.

The only Canadian celebrities that I wouldn't mind "sighting" are The Kids in the Hall, which is unlikely! I'm not into restaurants as a status symbol....just bring me excellent food!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll avoid Buonanotte. And I'm surprised at your comments regarding Chu Chai, because it seems to be favored by most reviewers, but I'll definitely check out the alternatives now. Maybe I'll do Red Thai instaed of Chu Chai. I haven't heard a thing about La Chronique, and will have to do some investigation...

The only Canadian celebrities that I wouldn't mind "sighting" are The Kids in the Hall, which is unlikely!  I'm not into restaurants as a status symbol....just bring me excellent food! 

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll avoid Buonanotte.  And I'm surprised at your comments regarding Chu Chai, because it seems to be favored by most reviewers, but I'll definitely check out the alternatives now.  Maybe I'll do Red Thai instaed of Chu Chai.  I haven't heard a thing about La Chronique, and will have to do some investigation...

If you like excellent food, stay away from every place in your original post and pore over this forum.

That Kids in the Hall line is the equivalent of "The only celebrity I would love to bump into in Australia is Crocodile Dundee, which is unlikely!"

Too funny.

The only Canadian celebrities that I wouldn't mind "sighting" are The Kids in the Hall, which is unlikely!   I'm not into restaurants as a status symbol....just bring me excellent food! 

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll avoid Buonanotte.  And I'm surprised at your comments regarding Chu Chai, because it seems to be favored by most reviewers, but I'll definitely check out the alternatives now.  Maybe I'll do Red Thai instaed of Chu Chai.  I haven't heard a thing about La Chronique, and will have to do some investigation...

If you like excellent food, stay away from every place in your original post and pore over this forum.

That Kids in the Hall line is the equivalent of "The only celebrity I would love to bump into in Australia is Crocodile Dundee, which is unlikely!"

Too funny.

Do you mean that to apply to Les Chevres as well?

The only Canadian celebrities that I wouldn't mind "sighting" are The Kids in the Hall, which is unlikely!  I'm not into restaurants as a status symbol....just bring me excellent food! 

La Chronique is fantastic-please try to have dinner there while in town-you will also most probably enjoy Anise. Both of these are featured in this Board. If you can get your hands on the recent Gourmet issue on montreal you will get lots of ideas..Club Chasse et peche should also be on your list..

Alida

Too funny.

Do you mean that to apply to Les Chevres as well?

No definitely not. That would be the exception.

Please don't eat at Jardin Nelson. Maybe have a drink on their terrasse - but really, don't eat the food. And especially don't go when it's busy and the bus boys haven't bother to clean their table-wiping-rags which smell like vomit. Bleah! I'm still traumatized after all these years.

The best reviews of Montréal restaurants are written by Lesley Chesterman and published in The Gazette on Saturdays. You can sometimes find them by going to http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/index.html

and doing a search, although the search engine is not the best.

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

The only Canadian celebrities that I wouldn't mind "sighting" are The Kids in the Hall, which is unlikely!   I'm not into restaurants as a status symbol....just bring me excellent food! 

La Chronique is fantastic-please try to have dinner there while in town-you will also most probably enjoy Anise. Both of these are featured in this Board. If you can get your hands on the recent Gourmet issue on montreal you will get lots of ideas..Club Chasse et peche should also be on your list..

Alida

The reviews of Chronique sound great, and I like the look of their website....but I can't read French, which is what the menu is written in. Is it mostly meat, or do they offer a selection of veggie options? I'm not sure if I will pass up Le Chveres (mostly vegetarian) for Chronique.

I am feeling a bit intimidated by the fact that I am a vegetarian and don't speak a word of French. Is it worth it to learn a few food vocab words to get me through?

Alida

The reviews of Chronique sound great, and I like the look of their website....but I can't read French, which is what the menu is written in. Is it mostly meat, or do they offer a selection of veggie options? I'm not sure if I will pass up Le Chveres (mostly vegetarian) for Chronique.

I am feeling a bit intimidated by the fact that I am a vegetarian and don't speak a word of French. Is it worth it to learn a few food vocab words to get me through?

Well, you are allowed to do both. La Chronique's menu is very seafood orientated and that is why I recommended it for you.

I should also make a correction to my earlier post. When I said that Red Thai is the best in Montreal, what I should have said is Thai Grill. 10 years ago my original statement might have been true but no longer. If you intend to do Thai I would really recommend that you go to Thai Grill, located at the corner of St. laurent and Laurier.

I only have 4 nights, which is making it difficult to chose, with all of the amazing options and recommendations...! Thanks for letting me know La Chronique is mainly seafood, this helps. Thai Grill sounds good, too. I am going to try and squeeze in as much as possible.

What I can't wait for is to get to the gelato at Havre aux Glaces! That is going to be the highlight of the trip for me. :wub:

La Chronique offers fine dining (French). They had a seafood tasting menu back in April, but I would not characterize them as a mainly seafood restaurant.

Here is a link to their website with their current menu.

My French is terrible. When I want to read a French menu, I copy and paste the text into Google's translator page.

Edited by rcianci (log)

Not to confuse you any further, but I actually prefer Red Thai to Thai Grill. Much more so in fact.

But overall, I would stay away from Thai altogether in Montreal and focus on what we do best instead.

Incidentally, the best Thai food in the city for years was Bangkok in the Faubourg food court upstairs ... sadly gone now. The owners operate the restaurant across the street but the charm and quality is not the same.

La Chronique offers fine dining (French). They had a seafood tasting menu back in April, but I would not characterize them as a mainly seafood restaurant.

Here is a link to their website with their current menu.

My French is terrible. When I want to read a French menu, I copy and paste the text into Google's translator page.

I'll try the Google translator with menus. I am also going to try and teach myself some basic French over the next few weeks. It sounds like any attempts at the language are appreciated by the locals when ordering food/drinks, although the verdict may change on that one once my sputterings are heard...

Not to confuse you any further, but I actually prefer Red Thai to Thai Grill. Much more so in fact.

But overall, I would stay away from Thai altogether in Montreal and focus on what we do best instead.

Incidentally, the best Thai food in the city for years was Bangkok in the Faubourg food court upstairs ... sadly gone now. The owners operate the restaurant across the street but the charm and quality is not the same.

Well, I'm plotting out all of these recommendations on a map...so when ever in a particular neighborhood and feeling hungry, I'll have options at my fingertips.

Currently, Thai has taken a back seat to other restaurants, but I suppose anything is possible when in a strange city, hungry, looking to spot the Kids in the Hall :wink: and relying only on my little map for food ideas...it will be interesting to see where we actually end up eating.

Edited by mmm_chocolate (log)

Totally unrelated question which I haven't managed to find on this forum (probably because its silly)...

When I take the Metro to Jean-Talon station, am I pretty much AT the JT market, or am I going to have to walk to find it. And how big is it...? Will it take me hours to find my Havre aux Glaces?

-Michelle

if that's the case, it must have closed really really recently, as i was there on sunday for an excellent shrimp pad thai. don't go to the restaurant across the street. the waiter there is absolutely insane. and i mean that seriously. anyway, the food is better in the faubourg.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker