• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserved Lemons

Suvir Saran

I just finished reading this entire topic and am left with one burning question:

I know that only the peel is used but is that just the peel without any of the pith?  If so, what is the easiest way to de-pith (is that a word?) the peel?  Also, I have 2 jars of commercially made preserved lemons.  Is there a shelf life?

Edited by ElsieD (log)

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just finished reading this entire topic and am left with one burning question:

I know that only the peel is used but is that just the peel without any of the pith?  If so, what is the easiest way to de-pith (is that a word?) the peel?  Also, I have 2 jars of commercially made preserved lemons.  Is there a shelf life?

I think @Margaret Pilgrim described it very well here: 

On 4/8/2023 at 10:30 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The pith and peel kind of become one in the curing process.   I discard the mushy pulp and use the peel.   It  would depend on your use.   In a cooked/braised dish, the whole segment would be appropriate.

I just take a quarter lemon and use my fingers to separate the mushy pulp.  If I'm making something that might need seasoning, I set it aside so I can use it to add extra salt/acididity if needed. 

Then I rinse the rest of the peel and slice, dice or whatever.  

As Margaret said, some slow cooked or braised dishes will call for a whole lemon.

Some people like to blitz the whole lemons to make a paste to be used for seasoning.  For my taste, and the way I make them, it comes out too salty to be useful but I can see why others might like it. 

I usually make a fresh batch once a year but sometimes I've used them for several years.  Between the acid and salt, and assuming they are submerged in brine, they are a rather inhospitable environment for spoilage organisms.

Any pieces sticking up out of the brine or right at the surface can discolor from oxidation and I see some people here have seen some sort of mold growth.  I haven't seen the mold. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@ElsieD, FWIW I often use the pith too. As @blue_dolphin said, it's useful for boosting the flavor of a sauce. As she and @Margaret Pilgrim said, the pith and peel become one. You can't really separate them.

I don't think I've ever had mine mold, but I have kept them too long to the point where they'd oxidized, turned dark, and begun to smell more like bad furniture polish then lemons. That's when I've pitched them. I don't think you need worry about food poisoning, either with the homemade or commercially preserved lemons, for reasons blue_dolphin gave above. The worst that's likely to happen is that the food won't taste good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I forgot to mention above that usually, by the time the lemons are too old, they've started to rust the interior of my canning jar lid! Not that I pressure can them, but I often put them into canning jars.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I am a blitzer/paste user.   I keep mine in the type of jar with the bail and glass lid.   In the fridge.  For years, no mold.

Yes, salty, but I use it as a salt condiment, instead of regular salt.

I add it to entrees when needed for salt/brine/tang.

I use it in salad dressings, also as a pickling spice or a marinade.

I make salty lemonade with it along with fresh juice and sweetener sometimes.   And Bloody Ceasars and Marys.

I have never made a tangine or traditional preserved lemon dish strangely enough.   Probably missing out on good stuff.  I just integrate it into my daily cooks when needed.   I find it pretty flexible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Salt saturated acid?

Happens ften with not salty but very acidic stuff like a quick pickleesp with certain lids - esp recycled Bonne Maman marmalade. No harm. Doesn't affect it. I usually double a small square of plastic wrap across top of jar and then screw on lid - but I've been  overly frustrated with the wrap not coming off roll properly and having to pitch the thne well before empty. (email complaints to mnufacturer with photos - not even a blasted coupon in response) - whole other topic. 

IMG_1910.jpg

• Like 3

The Guardian's take on preserved lemons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Found a jar of preserved lemons in our garage fridge that date back a while 🙄.  The skins have darkened but I doubt they are toxic.   Also found preserved watermelon rind in syrup that I made quite a few years ago.

Tasted them both and they both tasted ok.  No I’ll effects…..yet 🫣

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

I've posed this Q several times in several places - been looking for knowledge/insight into my 30 year lemon quest, which goes as follows:

Greece - Athens - early 1970's

big party (and a bit extravagant . . .)

on table snack bowl of very thick lemon pith - firm to the bite (dried(?) / preserved(?)) / sugared.

stunning good stuff.

now,,,

#1 - very thick pith - particular lemon variety?  nothing like it found in USA 'normal' stores.....

#2 - pith is generally regarded as "bitter" - but this prep (sugared) was only slightly sour/tart - superb "balance"

anyone know of this "dish" and/or it's prep?

16 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I've posed this Q several times in several places - been looking for knowledge/insight into my 30 year lemon quest, which goes as follows:

Greece - Athens - early 1970's

big party (and a bit extravagant . . .)

on table snack bowl of very thick lemon pith - firm to the bite (dried(?) / preserved(?)) / sugared.

stunning good stuff.

now,,,

#1 - very thick pith - particular lemon variety?  nothing like it found in USA 'normal' stores.....

#2 - pith is generally regarded as "bitter" - but this prep (sugared) was only slightly sour/tart - superb "balance"

anyone know of this "dish" and/or it's prep?

Have you looked into recipes for κίτρο γλυκό or candied citron?  In some recipes, the zest is left on, but very many remove it. Like this one, this one, this one

Edited to add this lemon version, which is not what you had as some of the pulp is left on the pith but it gives an example of using additional flavors - honey, vanilla - that sound good. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
To fix duplicate link (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this prep was "dry" - altho it could have been 'wet preserved' then dried/sugared . . .

but the pith on some of those lemons sure looks to be a good starting place . . .

is there any name/ID on that type of lemon?  (sorry, my Greek is Greek . . . oh, wait . . .)

39 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

this prep was "dry" - altho it could have been 'wet preserved' then dried/sugared . . .

but the pith on some of those lemons sure looks to be a good starting place . . .

is there any name/ID on that type of lemon?  (sorry, my Greek is Greek . . . oh, wait . . .)

Any candied citrus peel I’ve made can be either stored in syrup or dried and sugared. 
The video does not name a lemon variety. All the recipe links are for citron and look like Etrog. I’d say the key to the best flavor would be to used freshly picked fruit as the aromatics in the peels dissipate over time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

All the recipe links are for citron

David Lebovitz has a recipe for candied citron that shows a Buddha's hand. He also mentioned the ugly lemon variety. 

Here.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/25/2023 at 11:37 AM, scubadoo97 said:

Found a jar of preserved lemons in our garage fridge that date back a while 🙄.  The skins have darkened but I doubt they are toxic.   Also found preserved watermelon rind in syrup that I made quite a few years ago.

Tasted them both and they both tasted ok.  No I’ll effects…..yet 🫣

Had some more preserved lemon with tuna salad today.  
Still doing well.   Not even a hiccup

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

Cedro lemon

I believe you will find that is a citron. 
Citron.

My 2004 eG Blog