• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserved Lemons

Suvir Saran

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpg

Meyer lemons put up a couple of hours ago. By this time tomorrow they should be properly submerged as they shrink and release more liquid.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So without having to read through 300 previous posts - I don't have a tagine and don't often cook for more than 2 or 3 at most. What else can I use these lemons for?

So without having to read through 300 previous posts - I don't have a tagine and don't often cook for more than 2 or 3 at most. What else can I use these lemons for?

Here is a link to get you started

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/21/preserved-lemons-recipe_n_4824738.html

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

I think I'd go with the smell test also. If they don't smell bad they're probably okay; if they do smell bad they may not be harmful but they probably won't be pleasant. I've eaten/used preserved lemons that had gone dark, smelled more like turpentine or old furniture polish than nicely perfumy briny lemons, and never suffered ill effects...but I didn't particularly enjoy the taste.

Edit: I've realized since posting this that my response doesn't exactly address the mold question. I haven't enough knowledge for that. My suspicion, however, is that mold that grows under these conditions may be unpleasant but won't be harmful.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 months later...

I've seen several recipes for quick preserved lemons - does anybody have any favorites? I have an event coming up in less than 2 weeks and need a pretty large batch....

I have used them to make a lemon vinaigrette and added them into hummus.  I've also added them into a pasta dish of sauteed garlic, artichokes, tomatoes, capers, and olives (with or without shrimp and/or cream).  Definitely my new favorite ingredient.

I have used them to make a lemon vinaigrette and added them into hummus.  I've also added them into a pasta dish of sauteed garlic, artichokes, tomatoes, capers, and olives (with or without shrimp and/or cream).  Definitely my new favorite ingredient.

I rinsed and removed the pulp from three whole preserved lemons, cut them into "matchsticks" and added them half-way through the cooking of 3 pounds of caramelized onions (onion confit) and the results were outstanding. 

Note:  I started out with 3 pounds of large brown onions, skinned them, removed both ends and sliced them pole to pole instead of crosswise as I have found through long experience that I like the end result better using this method.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've seen several recipes for quick preserved lemons - does anybody have any favorites? I have an event coming up in less than 2 weeks and need a pretty large batch....

Just trying to keep your question alive! Mark Bittman had a recipe that took only three hours. You might want to Google that one. I thought I had one seen a fast method from Paula Wolfert also. I can't say I have tried any of them. I am sure somebody on eG must have and will drop in shortly.

Edited to add

Yes Paula has a recipe for seven days preserved lemons on Epicurious.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

I've tried this "quick" preserved lemons recipe that can take 5 days. Longer is better if you can do it. From Heidi Krahling of the Insalata restaurant in Marin.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/preserved-lemons-0

The hot brine on the lemons really does the trick of speeding up the curing process. But these lemons do not have the depth of flavor as regular preserved lemons. They also have a softer, more watery texture from the brine.

But if you need preserved lemons quick...the flavor is good, and I have used them in savory dishes as a substitute for regular preserved lemons, with good results.

• 7 years later...
6 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Paula has published several methods.   I use a simpler one in which she advises cutting lemons into quarters, moosh with salt, pack in jars, fill with lemon juice and additional salt.    Let molder for a week before using.   

I like the fact that I can extract a single piece of lemon when wanted, as opposed to having to deal with a whole lemon.  

Will look up the precise recipe if anyone interested.  

That's how I cut them as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Paula has published several methods.   I use a simpler one in which she advises cutting lemons into quarters, moosh with salt, pack in jars, fill with lemon juice and additional salt.    Let molder for a week before using.   

I like the fact that I can extract a single piece of lemon when wanted, as opposed to having to deal with a whole lemon.  

I'd love the recipe, please.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

17 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Yes, please.

@Kim Shooki used to have access to hundreds of Meyer lemons. Now i only get about 100. I zested, juiced and froze both.  I still have plenty of two years later. I’ve dehydrated the lemons I got this year. Just slice them 1/8” to 1/4” and throw them in my cheap food dehydrator.  I use them in tea and water, even chicken piccata. They rehydrate quickly.  People beg me for a ziplock bag full of them. So far they seem to keep a long time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Can one use the juice from lemons which have some mouldy bits? Does it matter if the mouldy bits are on the inside too?

I wouldn't. Moldy citrus reeks tome, Feel like it would contaminate the juice., esp if inside.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1