• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserved Lemons

Suvir Saran

• 1 month later...

I put up my first batch of preserved meyer lemons today. The fruit is from the tree I purchased last March when I was doing my eG foodblog. I followed Paula Wolfert's 30 day recipe, with one exception. My lemons were so big (almost tennis ball size) they wouldn't fit into the mouth of the jar, so I cut all the way through to the bottom of the fruit and quartered them.

Preserved%252520Lemons-01.jpg

I've never tasted preserved lemons before, so am trying to be patient while I wait for them to be ready.

• 3 months later...

Wow, I opened a jar of my lemons, about 6 months old, and they are in Jell! All of the liquid surrounding the lemons is a very thick jell. Any ideas? I have done many jars and this is a first for me.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Wow, I opened a jar of my lemons, about 6 months old, and they are in Jell! All of the liquid surrounding the lemons is a very thick jell. Any ideas? I have done many jars and this is a first for me.

I've had that happen a few times. It never seems to have much effect on the lemons themselves, or the part that I use.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

From my first batch! They turned out good. I'm going to use them to make an adaptation of this recipe.

lemons.jpg

They look lovely.

The Seville oranges I put up more than a month ago are still not where lemons usually are at this stage so I'm going to put them in the back of the fridge and check them again in another month.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you Andi! I was worried about using them, no more. :biggrin:

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

As long as the liquid doesn't smell like furniture polish, you are good to go.

I believe someone asked in another thread, "But what if your furniture polish smells like lemon?" :laugh:

Mine smelled lemony but not "off". They were definitely fine.

I believe someone asked in another thread, "But what if your furniture polish smells like lemon?" :laugh:

Mine smelled lemony but not "off". They were definitely fine.

I'm talking about the smell you get with "Pledge" and "Murphy's Oil Soap" - there is a distinct difference.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone; board newbie here. Also lemon preservation newbie concerned about food safety. I've read the rest of the posts but may have missed something; apologies if so.

I just took down my first batch of lemons, which has been quietly sitting on the kitchen shelf for about five weeks total. I opened it up and there was a slight whoosh of escaping air—not like the jar tried to explode or anything, but there was definitely pressure being released. The lemons smell fine and have no mold. Should I be worried? It's the air pressure release that has me a bit concerned. I know that it'd be pretty difficult for most bacteria to survive that much salt and acid, but—thought I'd ask if anyone had a similar experience or knew if this was a warning sign. Thanks!

The middle eastern store in which I shop has a big "pickle jar" (about 3 gallons) in which they have preserved lemons. The ones on the top, ready for use are in a plastic basket which occupies the top half of the container.

They lift it out and add new lemons and more salt to the bottom and the basket is replaced which pushes the new lemons to the bottom.

I think this is a very clever method of keeping a large batch (they sell a lot) of preserved lemons going. The lady told me that they dump the brine and replenish the salt with a new batch of lemons in the bottom about every six months. The preserved lemons look perfect on the outside, the insides look the same as the ones I have made at home and I have bought some and used them.

They taste exactly the same.

She tells me they have only refrigerated the batch when they close the store for their annual vacation when they put everything even remotely perishable in their walk-in fridge, even the stuff in the display fridges, because they have a backup generator for the walk-in in case of a power failure.

She says that people "back home" don't usually have fridges and the stores that sell stuff like this have limited fridge space so "preserving" means not having to refrigerate usually perishable items for use all year.

She mentioned that "back home" they preserve the grape leaves essentially the same way and they are never refrigerated.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

• 1 month later...

I'm almost out of preserved lemons, batch from June 2011. So I started a new jar yesterday following P. Wolfert 30 days recipe. I had a lot of peels, from the lemons I squeezed to fill my new jar.

I think I read here or somewhere else on the board that some people use the old pickling liquid to start a new batch. I decided against it but I still saved a small jar of the liquid...so it came natural to me to dump all the peels I had from squeezing the lemons in the old pickling liquid.

Do you think it's a bad idea? Should I add more salt?

fruitilemonconfitpeel.jpg

• 2 months later...

Office Party 2012 001.JPGLemon Picking 2012 005.JPG

Since this year our one lemon tree gave us hundreds of beautiful lemons we have put up this batch of preserved lemons, made lemon marmalade, lemoncillo, gave away lots of them and are using lemons on everything. It is a blessing.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

*bump*

Someplace up-topic, a few people have asked whether there's any use for the brine of the lemons. I use a small amount of brine to add a kick to sauces or vinaigrettes. I also use the pulp in skillet-style dishes (stovetop cookery); the pulp adds flavor and a bit of texture. I don't know why people say to stick with the rind only.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just "found" mine in the back of the fridge, put them up about 2 years ago, never used them, never even opened them. Figured I'll trash them, but tasted a bit, quite good! There's no way anything will grow in that much salt and acid, and it seems they are good indefinitely. Mine are very very soft, but I'm gonna use them soon now. Not sure I'll put up more, since I can buy small jars and don't seem to need them much, but maybe once I use them more...

IMO there's very little danger for food poisoning, if something is bad you most likely will smell it and know it, nothing dangerous I'm aware of can grow in there. It's a simple technique that's been used for thousands of years by people w/o running water or much use of even the word "sanitary" :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog