• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC Famous Bowls

robert40

Our favorite casserole is a layer of stuffing, topped with a layer of chicken and gravy, topped with corn and mashed potatoes....we call it Christmas in a Can.  There's no can, but you get the idea.

I would probably go to KFC next time I am in the States if they were using torn up original recipe chicken breast instead of the deep fried nuggets...and I would have to ask them to leave off the cheese...why are they putting cheese on it?  Some kind of southern ripoff of poutine?

I am waiting for them to just do Sack O'Skin....chicken skin, breaded (original recipe, please) and deep fried and served in a sack, perhaps with hot sauce for dipping.  THAT would be my idea of KFC heaven.

OMG, Badiane!!! I have said this very thing for years. I love fried chicken, but the very best part of any fried chicken is the skin. I have always wished that you could order a plate of fried or roasted chicken skin (of course, I couldn't eat it anymore - gastric bypass :sad: - but it is my favorite!).

I am waiting for them to just do Sack O'Skin....chicken skin, breaded (original recipe, please) and deep fried and served in a sack, perhaps with hot sauce for dipping.  THAT would be my idea of KFC heaven.

I make my own! :wub: Whenever I make poached chicken I remove the skin before poaching, and save it for fried chicken skin. I usually bread mine in corn starch, and sprinkle with salt.

Some of my mother's former clients (she was an employment counsellor for immigrant women) used to bring her bags of chicken skin from the chicken-processing plant they worked it. Those were the days!

About the KFC thing, how different is it from donburi? Sounds very similar, to me, and people usually love donburi!!

When I saw that commercial, it reminded me of a dish that a friend of mine makes when really drunk at 4AM. It is called a heebie jeebie (he's an Aussie; can any Aussies confirm or deny the prevalence of heebie jeebies). You take a waffle and top it with creamed corn, vanilla ice cream, maple syrup and crumbled bacon.

I have never been drunk enough to try a heebie jeebie.

S. Cue

The real question is, is anyone going to "take one for the team" and try it?

Not it - I don't like cheese.

I'm all for mixing food up on the fork, but wouldn't all that gunk make the chicken fingers soggy?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

It's a quasi-sort of Shepherd's Pie with a KFC twist on the ingredients, of course.

Chris, I'm looking forward to your report!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The chicken was soggy from the lackluster gravy thrust on top of the contents of the bowl.....it just lacked any flavor at all.....as well as texture....it was all kind of "gloppy"...plus I now have a massive "saturated fat" headache...I can actually feel the fat particles swirlling around in my bloodstream....I have to go do a shooter of niacin now to try and regain the 3 days I just cut off my life by eating the Famous Bowl....

ugghh......

But, there were 3 "healthy" ladies who came in after me and they were so excited to eat the gravy bowl.....they loved it judging by the smiles....

I am a "Fat Guy" and am usually a big fan of anything fried and gravy

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

The chicken was soggy from the lackluster gravy thrust on top of the contents of the bowl.....it just lacked any flavor at all.....as well as texture....it was all kind of "gloppy"...plus I now have a massive "saturated fat" headache...I can actually feel the fat particles swirlling around in my bloodstream....I have to go do a shooter of niacin now to try and regain the 3 days I just cut off my life by eating the Famous Bowl....

ugghh......

But, there were 3 "healthy" ladies who came in after me and they were so excited to eat the gravy bowl.....they loved it judging by the smiles....

I am a "Fat Guy" and am usually a big fan of anything fried and gravy

Chris, You are the man! Don't tell me you did this for nothing? Where should we send the check. :biggrin:

Robert R

Megan, you don't like cheese???? Really? Any cheese or just pre-grated fake cheddar cheese?

Okay...we went to Bellingham yesterday and we picked one up to poke at and it was a bit grizzly. The gravy is different in the US than it is here in Canada and it's not as good. The corn is tough...the cheese adds nothing but fat...and the chicken nuggets were not good. In spite of harbouring a secret love of instant mashed potatoes it was just not something we wanted to eat. Plus I can't eat mashed potatoes without orange salt, so that put a damper on things as my car stash of the stuff was empty.

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

my roomamte and i were both excited by the KFC bowls.

me especially because after Thanksgiving that's my favorite way of getting rid of leftovers.

I like to layer mash, corn, stuffing, and turkey and then cover it all with gravy.

we tried them over the weekend.

a. too salty.

b. too much potato.

c. the cheese and breaded chicken took it over the top for me.

This article says the bowls have 690 calories and 31 grams of fat. The article also has a photo, for those that want an upclose look.

it certainly isn't pretty, is it?

OMFG! Is there a profanity filter here? That makes me want to say disgusting things.

How much do you pay for the heartattack in a bowl?

ETA what's a heavy fast food user?? It sounds like a drug addict.

Edited by Syrah (log)

The only problem I see with this is in the presentation. It needs to be LaBanized. First the bowl has to go. It needs an oversized handcrafted styrofoam plate. Centered on that is a dab or two of mashed heirloom potatoes topped by an uneven number (but not more than 7) of corn kernals from a cob flown in from a almost inaccessible Andean valley and carefully kept at the right temperature of _____ (fill in any temperature you want, no one will know the difference). Then the gravy, based on the secret family recipe of the restaurant dishwasher who is an illegal immigrant but sends most of his wages back to the almost inaccessible valley where the corn is grown.Then the chicken which is from free range chickens,which themselves were hatched from eggs laid by free range hens leading an idyllic existance in a chicken coop that makes your average McMansion look like a hovel. Top that with the three cheeses being very very careful not to topple over the pile or you might just as well scrape it into a bowl and cut your profit margin in half. Then around the perimeter strew some scrapings from a windshield bug screen.

Edited by Arey (log)

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Is this product real or a joke? I can't tell, ever since those shaking salad ads a few years ago. I thought that my boyfriend ad taped an SNL skit to fool me with!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Lets see...its ok to get corn in the potatoes, its good to have gravy on potatoes, its even good to have cheese on potatoes, chicken is also good with cheese or gravy.........But all at once???? NOT

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I finally saw the commercial for these today. The bowl looks pretty bad, and I tend to like mixing things up on my plate. If they're truly going for those who like a plate lunch, then why not make it a plate lunch instead of a bowl of gloppy carbs?

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Megan, you don't like cheese???? Really?  Any cheese or just pre-grated fake cheddar cheese?

Most cheese, actually. It's weird, I know. I love cheese when it's cooked into something, I like parmesan on anything, I like brie melted on a baguette...but I'm still not ready for cheese that's an add-on, like cheese on a burger or, in this case, on top of something that cheese doesn't belong to. :laugh: And, yes, I hate the fake, pre-shredded stuff. NASTY.

I know, I'm a freak, and a bad foodie. But I've actually gotten pretty good in the last year or so, and will eat most cheese when it's put in front of me.

OK, tangent over. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007