• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KFC Famous Bowls

robert40

I can't imagine there is not a discussion already going on about this new item from KFC. If so I apologize as I have not seen it.

Anyone notice the advertisements for this or try it?

Mashed potato's, Corn, Gravy,Chicken and Cheese all together in a bowl. :blink:

My first reaction after seeing the commercial was this must be a joke. :laugh:

I been trying for months to teach my youngest not to slop up her plate and they package the stuff. We want part of the cut. :laugh:

http://www.kfc.com/

Robert R

They've taken a page from Taco Bell's marketing manual: Take 4 or 5 ingredients that you already use in your standard menu, combine them in a new permutation, shoot a new commercial. Total cost - practically nothing. But you've got something new and a reason for people to stop by. Besides, "bowls" seem to be trendy in fast food recently.

I ate one; the reasons for my eating it are too serious, I think, for this thread.

It needed more gravy and less tough corn and really frankly just to taste better. I deem it Not Very Good, but certainly better than... um... well, I'm not sure.

Jennie

My wife talked me into going to KFC to try their Buffalo chicken crapapalooza things.

It was sooooo nasty that I have no intention of ever trying one of their new items again.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

I can't imagine there is not a discussion already going on about this new item from KFC. If so I apologize as I have not seen it.

I been trying for months to teach my youngest not to slop up her plate and they package the stuff. We want part of the cut. :laugh:

When I saw this on T.V I was impressed..I was thinking to myself, this thing is going to be huge.. I have no desire to eat it, but its a smart idea.. Its kind of like what I used to feed my dog. I would do a bottom layer of rice, then vegetables, then meat on top...Then cover the whole thing with either the meat juice or water.. America is going to love this thing..

Edited by Daniel (log)

When I saw this on T.V I was impressed..I was thinking to myself, this thing is going to be huge.. I have no desire to eat it, but its a smart idea.. Its kind of like what I used to feed my dog. I would do a bottom layer of rice, then vegetables, then meat on top...Then cover the whole thing with either the meat juice or water.. America is going to love this thing..

I have no doubt that your right. America will love it and it is a prime example of the sorry state were in.

I think it is also a reminder on what a minority those are who love and appreciated fine food compared to main stream America.

I have this vision of the guy/girl in the kitchen lab after coming up with this idea calling their spouse and saying lets celebrate my bonus with dinner at Bouley tonight. :laugh:

Robert R

Whaddaya wanna bet, that the same kids that will not eat food that touches other food on their plate, will scarf this stuff up!

Ah, the magic of marketing. :raz:

Really? I wince every time the commercial comes on because it looks so foul. I don't have a problem with KFC, even though I don't eat there more than once every year or so. But piling it all together and topping with cheese...oogh. Why don't they just be honest and call it a trough?

The real question is, is anyone going to "take one for the team" and try it?

i can't imagne voluntarily eating such a thing. maybe without the corn and the cheese during some sort of public emergency.

This thing is so awful that even Jay Leno made some (humorous) negative comments last night on his show during the monologue ... :hmmm: I have, of course, put them completely out of my mind ...

KFC's new Famous Bowls, provides lunch-starved Americans with the perfect all-in-one, "made for one" remedy to their usual rushed and unsatisfying lunchtime routine. The new KFC Famous Bowls offer a hearty meal "just like mom used to make," with layers of mashed potatoes, sweet corn and bite sized crispy chicken, drizzled with signature home style gravy and topped off with a three- cheese blend -- in one convenient bowl.
source for this quote

Had my mother made food like this and piled it into one bowl, I would have left for college at the ripe old age of 8! :laugh:

On the other hand, I can see this working much better because these ingredients are tasty when layered:

Taco Bell, developed the concept in 2001 with its Border Bowls -- grilled chicken or steak with rice, beans, lettuce and tomatoes. The bowls were aimed at bringing back former customers who associated the brand with low-priced tacos and little else,
source

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I saw the commercial for this concoction and was reminded of my ex-husband. He used to pile my carefully prepared dinners on his plate just this way: potatoes, rice, or noodles smeared over the entire surface of the plate, layered with chopped meat (didn't matter what kind -- he always cut it up first), covered with vegetables, and finally topped with sauce, gravy, or cheese. Did I mention that I am no longer married to this man?

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

Did I mention that I am no longer married to this man?

I could swear that he is living in my house diguised as my husband ... :laugh: The usual response is something to the effect that all the food on the plate winds up in one's stomach .. and then in the .. well, you know ... :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

it also needs to be wrapped in a tortilla, deep fried and served in a commemorative bag.*

*for those of you who don't get the taco town reference, see here

Thanks for the link...Very funny! I've seen it somewhere (not on line) once before, has it been on TV?

Which says it all .........

That's exactly how I would eat my lunch as a kid in the school cafeteria. Green beans go great mixed with mashed potatoes and corn and stuffed inside the buttered roll. I've actually remade this concoction in my adulthood, and I still love it.

Then again, I'm someone who regularly eats live squid and beer.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Our favorite casserole is a layer of stuffing, topped with a layer of chicken and gravy, topped with corn and mashed potatoes....we call it Christmas in a Can. There's no can, but you get the idea.

I would probably go to KFC next time I am in the States if they were using torn up original recipe chicken breast instead of the deep fried nuggets...and I would have to ask them to leave off the cheese...why are they putting cheese on it? Some kind of southern ripoff of poutine?

I am waiting for them to just do Sack O'Skin....chicken skin, breaded (original recipe, please) and deep fried and served in a sack, perhaps with hot sauce for dipping. THAT would be my idea of KFC heaven.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten