• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shubox Cafe, Cedar Grove

gia

After 17 years, the Shubox Cafe will close its doors on Saturday, May 27th. Should anyone wish to be informed of a future re-opening, please stop by and sign their guest book. You will be missed!

I was only there once for lunch with a colleague, and it was pretty good. Guess I won't get to make a 2nd trip...

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

We used to live in Cedar Grove and we had some nice meals there. Enjoyed it more when it was BYO. I think that it was au courant in the beginning, but has been culinarily surpassed by the Montclair restaurants. I remember that we went after a good Star-Ledger review and it was mobbed. What a tough business!

agree Scarlet Knight. I don't recall it ever being BYO. I heard the building was sold; not bad 17 years! I hope they re-open in the near future.

Didn't they just repaint the exterior? Guess it didn't help. Pity.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I have to say that I stopped going there years ago because the food was often not hot (when it was supposed to be) and the service was lackadaisical. (But as I said, I've not been there in years and years.)

I have to say that I stopped going there years ago because the food was often not hot (when it was supposed to be) and the service was lackadaisical.  (But as I said, I've not been there in years and years.)

I would have to agree with Montclairite - the food & service at ShuBox were just ok. I hope something interesting opens up in that spot!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Don't count on it. The building was sold. It could be leveled!

I would have to agree with Montclairite - the food & service at ShuBox were just ok. I hope something interesting opens up in that spot!