• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edwards, a bit of Cincinnati in NYC

Okay, this is almost more than I can take. A Cincinnat-themed restaurant in the city?

Mr. FFB just got an invite to some business deal, being held at Edwards restaurant, which his contact calls a Cincinnati-themed restaurant in Tribeca. Who has been, how is it? (I'm a native Cincinnatian, and my husband was working in Cincinnati when we met.) Do they serve Little King's? :biggrin: One Kingie-Dingie ...

Seriously, I'm amazed that there are that many people around here, who would appreciate Cincinnati's finest cuisines! :raz:

(I searched but could not find this on any forum; apologies in advance if the thread needs to be merged.)

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Please?

I really am not sure I understand. I am a native and long time Cincinnatian but I don't get it.

Sweet chili over spaghetti?

What else might be on the menu?

MB

(ask Fabby to explain the first sentence of the post.)

"SKYLINE CHILI, MONTGOMERY INN RIBS & PULLED PORK SANDWICHES, LAROSA'S PIZZA and, of course, GRAETERS ICE CREAM!."

That's a quote from the Cincinnati Chili forum. My girlfriend's gone with friends a few times because they grew up in Ohio but more for nostalgia's sake than the quality of the food. Although it is great ice cream.

Please?

I really am not sure I understand.  I am a native and long time Cincinnatian but I don't get it.

Sweet chili over spaghetti?

What else might be on the menu?

MB

(ask Fabby to explain the first sentence of the post.)

O-M-G. Another one of us!

"Please?" is Cincinnati for, "say what?" or "Do what?" (<-- Southern). It comes from the Germans, who say "Bitte?," or "please?" when they want you to repeat something.

I worked in a restaurant a couple of years ago with a Cincinnati-born chef, and we'd talk about the old place every so often. Then it happened ... someone asked me something and I said, "Please?" Ack! Ack! I've been gone from there for nearly 18 years, and it keeps dragging me back ...

Chili spaghetti with cheese. Three-way, dry. Do NOT say "chili with pasta."

No doubt they'll have LaRosa's pizza (my first restaurant job, on Boudinot Avenue), but I wonder if they do it on the hearth. Geez,I remember it all so well.

Fabby,

a Westside girl forever.

My college roommate was from Cincinnati...never heard much from her about native cuisine.  What IS it?

German! Whatever that means ... :biggrin:

Seriously, Germans settled Cincinnati and for a while it was called Porkopolis because of all the slaughterhouses, pork and sausage factories. Kahn's is based in Cincinnati, or was. I think of Brats, Metts, pickle loaf, balogna, sauerkraut, headcheese, all of which my German uncles made. Most of my food influence was from the Italian side of the family.

The famous chili is Greek, though. Chili-spaghetti-cheese. Never, EVER say "chili on pasta!"

The famous chili is Greek, though.  Chili-spaghetti-cheese.  Never, EVER say "chili on pasta!"

Bruni had some not-very-kind words about Cincinnati style chili in this morning's Times article, "Life in the Fast-Food Lane." He tried a three way from the Gold Star chain outlet in Georgetown, Kentucky.

Here's a link to a page that links their menu:

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails...=0&cuisineid=72

Not sure I can discern anything distinctly Cincinnatian on it.  But maybe I'm just ignorant.

Maybe this is just a similarly named place? Because there isn't anything Cincinnati about it.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

"SKYLINE CHILI, MONTGOMERY INN RIBS & PULLED PORK SANDWICHES, LAROSA'S PIZZA and, of course, GRAETERS ICE CREAM!."

That's a quote from the Cincinnati Chili forum. My girlfriend's gone with friends a few times because they grew up in Ohio but more for nostalgia's sake than the quality of the food. Although it is great ice cream.

Are you saying they carry Graeter's here in NY? That would be worthwhile to visit.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Here's a link to a page that links their menu:

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails...=0&cuisineid=72

Not sure I can discern anything distinctly Cincinnatian on it.  But maybe I'm just ignorant.

Maybe this is just a similarly named place? Because there isn't anything Cincinnati about it.

Yeah I know. But it's even in Tribeca, just like she said.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Apparently, it has "Cincinnati nights." Whatever that means. I thought Graeter's was so tight with their distributions. I have got to check this out.

So, Mr. Bruni didn't like Gold Star. As my kids say, "Whatev." It's an acquired taste, and an acquired stomach. I wouldn't expect him to get it. :raz: We used to go to the Skyline on 5th for lunch twice a week. They had a big, BIG, Greek-looking maitre d' named Al Smith. No kidding. Al Smith.

Now that I know it's there, I've got to go. Anyone?

My college roommate was from Cincinnati...never heard much from her about native cuisine.  What IS it?

German! Whatever that means ... :biggrin:

Seriously, Germans settled Cincinnati and for a while it was called Porkopolis because of all the slaughterhouses, pork and sausage factories. Kahn's is based in Cincinnati, or was. I think of Brats, Metts, pickle loaf, balogna, sauerkraut, headcheese, all of which my German uncles made. Most of my food influence was from the Italian side of the family.

The famous chili is Greek, though. Chili-spaghetti-cheese. Never, EVER say "chili on pasta!"

Like Yorkville!!!! They should open up near me. :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Geez, I've been to Cincinnati a couple of times, and didn't eat anything there that seemed regional enough to spawn an entire restaurant menu - not that it couldn't happen. Loved the town, though. And I remember the "please" bit - it always struck me as very sweet.

We used to go to the Skyline on 5th for lunch twice a week. They had a big, BIG, Greek-looking maitre d' named Al Smith.  No kidding. Al Smith.

Skyline on 5th? I have been a denizen of downtown Cincinnati for nearly 40 years (32 -- this week I might add -- since my first job downtown) and I don't ever recall a Skyline on 5th Street. Where was it?

Could you be thinking of the Southwest corner of 7th and Vine? If so, we probably have met. I worked in the bank across the street for a couple of years in college.

We used to go to the Skyline on 5th for lunch twice a week. They had a big, BIG, Greek-looking maitre d' named Al Smith.  No kidding. Al Smith.

Skyline on 5th? I have been a denizen of downtown Cincinnati for nearly 40 years (32 -- this week I might add -- since my first job downtown) and I don't ever recall a Skyline on 5th Street. Where was it?

Could you be thinking of the Southwest corner of 7th and Vine? If so, we probably have met. I worked in the bank across the street for a couple of years in college.

Probably! My memory of it all is a little foggy; it's been awhile. No, really :shock: I was at P&G downtown for a few years. Maybe I saw you on Fountain Square? If Edward's had Hathaway's chicken salad sandwiches, they'd be more Cincinnati than they are now. Of course, you could never duplicate those waitresses (and shouldn't want to!).

Megan, what is Yorkville? Chili? I hope? Skyline from the freezer just ain't the same.

H du Bois, "please" is very, very sweet, I agree. It's weird to have it pop out every few years!

And Happy Anniversary, MichaelB. Thirty-two years is terrific; wishing you many more.

in response to dryden, graeter's is not carried in nyc but like everything else edward's has on its cincinnati nights, larossa, skyline and montgomery inn all offer their food mail order online. and having graeter's shipped to your house is cheaper per pint than buying some of the ice creams for sale at whole foods.

The next theme night is Monday, 6/26 and they absolutely have skyline chili, graeter's and a whole bunch of other goodies. They currently have 6:30, 7 and 9 PM seatings available.

Yorkville is a section of the Upper East Side that used to have a large German population, with a lot of German restaurants and food stores. Very little of that remains. (As has been noted elsewhere, even the sainted Elk confectionary, NYC's premiere source of marzipan, just closed, leaving many of us scrambling around looking for someplace to buy little marzipan mice and pigs. It's surprising what you find to be hard to live without.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Apparently, it has "Cincinnati nights."  Whatever that means. 

I hope it won't sound unduly provincial if I say that this is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard.

Now I have to go.

Naw, not provincial. Just not ... "Cincinnati." :biggrin: Sneak, if you're ever in town and want to try it out, it's on me. It can't be as good as back in the day, but those foods bring back memories of a very, very colorful youth. :biggrin::biggrin: And I"ve been gone from there a long, long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to graduate school at CCM and was amazed to see that there was a place that had a Cincinnati night and so I went a couple of months ago. It was very crowded and fairly authentic. The chilli was Skyline's (which is great - I don't care what anyone says) but the hot dog and buns weren't authentic and the cheese was shredded differently. But it was still close enough. The Graeters was fab of course. Boy do I miss that place.

The only drawback is the price. One coney, one 3 way, ice cream, and a beer was something like $38. In Cinty, that whole meal would have cost about $10.

Still, it felt good to be eating comfort food from somewhere else.

Rick

I went to graduate school at CCM and was amazed to see that there was a place that had a Cincinnati night and so I went a couple of months ago.  It was very crowded and fairly authentic.  The chilli was Skyline's (which is great - I don't care what anyone says) but the hot dog and buns weren't authentic and the cheese was shredded differently.  But it was still close enough.  The Graeters was fab of course.  Boy do I miss that place. 

The only drawback is the price.  One coney, one 3 way, ice cream, and a beer was something like $38.  In Cinty, that whole meal would have cost about $10.

Still, it felt good to be eating comfort food from somewhere else.

Rick

Were you one of the opera-singing waiters and Trudie and Kurt's place ... what was that place, the German restuarant?

True fact: I bought a Mouli grater just to duplicate the cheese on the coneys, when we moved away and I had to buy the stuff frozen. The chili, that is.

Were you one of the opera-singing waiters and Trudie and Kurt's place ... what was that place, the German restuarant? 

Right now, I am ashamed of a certain (former) West Side girl. How could you forget the name of the Forest View?

<ducking>