• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5 Days in Downtown San Francisco

percyn

How could I spend 5 days in San Francisco without checking out the local restaurant scene?

Day 1: Dim Sum, Mexican

On my first day, I strolled along the financial district to the Ferry Plaza where they had a farmers market over the weekend. The had great little stands selling nuts, fruits and this award winning olive oil.

CIMG1457.jpg

On the way I passed the Mexican place which seemed to be getting ready for the lunch crowd and I popped in to grab a shrimp taco

CIMG1453.jpg

CIMG1455.jpg

Later on that day, I went to the famous Yank Sing for Dim Sum. The dumplings with shrimp were very fresh and had generous portions of the shrimp.

CIMG1469.jpg

CIMG1470.jpg

Their special pork (filled with broth) dumplings.

CIMG1472.jpg

Day 2 : Coffee, Pastries, Hot Dog and Greek

My second day started out with an amazingly good cappuccino and almond tart

CIMG1476.jpg

Lunch was a Fatt Dog

CIMG1487.jpg

CIMG1488.jpg

Dinner was at Kokkari Restaurant, a greek place which is quite popular and usually packed. Appologize for the lighting in advance.

Grilled octupus

CIMG1480.jpg

Grilled lamp riblets

CIMG1481.jpg

Delicioussss pork with beans

CIMG1482.jpg

Day 3: Basque cusine

Started the day with walnut bread and coffee

CIMG1490.jpg

Early dinner at Piperade, which is famous with foodies for its basque cusine.

Dungeness crab salad

CIMG1492.jpg

Warm piquillo peppers with goat cheese

CIMG1495.jpg

Warm sheep's milk cheese and ham terrine

CIMG1496.jpg

....more to follow....

Edited by percyn (log)

Great photos so far; thanks for sharing!

Was the mexican place in the Ferry Buidling? If so, I guess it would be Tracy des Jardins' newish Mexican restaurant, Mijita. (One of her other restaurants is Jardiniere, a high end place a few block west of the opera house.)

I'm glad you had a nice meal at Piperade. Coupled with Carolyn Tille's recent good experience I guess that means all is still well there. I haven't been there recently. Kokkari doesn't get mentioned much on the boards here, but I've had good, comforting meals there.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Was the mexican place in the Ferry Buidling?  If so, I guess it would be Tracy des Jardins' newish Mexican restaurant, Mijita.  (One of her other restaurants is Jardiniere, a high end place a few block west of the opera house.)

If that was Mijita I don't remember them having a shrimp taco when I was there. Wherever, it looked good.

I'm looking forward to the rest!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Was the mexican place in the Ferry Buidling?  If so, I guess it would be Tracy des Jardins' newish Mexican restaurant, Mijita.  (One of her other restaurants is Jardiniere, a high end place a few block west of the opera house.)

If not, it could be Pancho Villa, next to the Ferry Building....

[...]

[...]

Doesn't look like mijita, salsa's wrong and tortillas aren't homemade.

I remember one of the other Mission taquerias was opening a new branch near the ferry building. The El Toro/Pancho Villa folks maybe?

Certainly looks like their salsa and steam table set up.

edit - annachan got there first. I actually didn't know they had already opened.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

As a vendor at the farmers market, I was pretty excited to see Pancho Villa's opening up. There's a lot of good food at the ferry building but after several years, the thought of a regular taqueria is pretty great. I'm sure Mijita is fine but the portions seem so off from the price and Mexican food should be gracious and abundant, not miserly and stingy.

But Pancho Villa's is bizarre. A regular burrito ends up over $7. They wrap it so tight that it seems like work. And there's something sterile and anti sceptic about the flavors that make me not want to repeat the experience. Plus, they steam the tortillas, rather than grill them, which at the price is pretty lame.

The shrimp taco looks good but I fear the price!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Those look like tacos from the Primavera stand right in the outdoor farmer's market.

Day 4: Chinatown and the Fifth Floor

Went to a Chinese bakery in Chinatown to get a BBQ pork bun

CIMG1517.jpg

CIMG1520.jpg

and a rose black bean moon cake (only had a bite)

CIMG1518.jpg

Look what else I passed by...the (eGullet) famed Wok Shop !! Had to stop in and take a look....ohhh I wish I had more space to lug a wok back.

CIMG1516.jpg

For lunch, I stopped by Taqueria El Zorro (308 Columbus Ave) and got a

Fish Taco and Beef taco - This is a hole in the wall, but probably the closest thing to homemade Mexican food I have tasted.

CIMG1521.jpg

Later that night went to the Fifth Floor in the Palomar hotel and had the Seasonal Tasting Menu consisting of

Amuse Bouche #1 - English pea and asparagus puree (?)

CIMG1504.jpg

Amuse Bouche #2 - Lobster and shrimp mousse with tarragon (?)

CIMG1505.jpg

ZUCKERMAN’S FARM ASPARAGUS

CIMG1506.jpg

BUTTER POACHED LOBSTER

CIMG1508.jpg

TRUFFLE GLAZED SQUAB BREAST

CIMG1509.jpg

RIB-EYE OF PAINTED HILLS BEEF

CIMG1510.jpg

(Meyer Lemon?) SORBET

CIMG1511.jpg

WARM VALRHONA CHOCOLATE CAKE

CIMG1512.jpg

Had the wine pairing too but still waiting for the Sommelier to email me the list of wines.

Day 5 - Thai and French

Lunch was at a Thai BBQ place across from Mascone West, from where I got Thai BBQ pork and a Thai iced tea.

CIMG1535.jpg

Dinner was at Fleur de lys on 777 Sutter. I appologize for the poor light quality, but I was seated in the middle of the room and didn't want to disturb the other dinners with my flash.

I got the 4 course tasting menu and wine pairing

Amuse Bouche - Eggplant gratin

CIMG1530.jpg

Degustation of

- Chilled Salsify Vichyssoise and osetra caviar

- Warm oxtail consumme glazed with foie gras

- Hot maine lobster bisque with sweatbread "croutons" (the best lobster bisques I have had and the "croutons" were extremely crispy).

2004 Trimbach Riesling

CIMG1531.jpg

Hawaiian pink shrimp with fennel pollen

2004 Clos Saron Tickled Pink Rose

CIMG1532.jpg

Colorado lamb sadle

1999 Chateau de Lamarque

CIMG1533.jpg

Grand Marnier Souffle

2003 Domaine Lafarge Muscat

CIMG1534.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

As a vendor at the farmers market, I was pretty excited to see Pancho Villa's opening up. There's a lot of good food at the ferry building but after several years, the thought of a regular taqueria is pretty great. I'm sure Mijita is fine but the portions seem so off from the price and Mexican food should be gracious and abundant, not miserly and stingy.

But Pancho Villa's is bizarre. A regular burrito ends up over $7. They wrap it so tight that it seems like work. And there's something sterile and anti sceptic about the flavors that make me not want to repeat the experience. Plus, they steam the tortillas, rather than grill them, which at the price is pretty lame.

The shrimp taco looks good but I fear the price!

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of this place, but Pancho Villa's sounds about right (its right off the pier a block or so north of the Ferry Plaza).

While nothing is San Francisco is particularly cheap, I think these shrimp tacos were like $8.50 or so...if memory serves me.

• 1 year later...

Percy, of all your meals, I was most impressed with Piperade, particularly that dungeness crab salad. Man that looked tasty.

Just curious, any business in between all that feasting or was it just vaca?

Percy, what did you think of Kokkari? I am heading to S.F. for business this fall and that is on my list of places to try.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...