• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great American BBQ Contest (Kansas City)

For anyone who doesn't already know about it and happens to be looking for plans this holiday weekend, the "Great American BBQ" is being held at the Woodlands (97th St. and Leavenworth Rd in KCK). This is only the second year for this contest, and from what I have heard it's a lot of fun and way less cramped than the American Royal in general size and also the parking situation. Chileheadmike and I are on a team this year, opting for this event over the Royal later in the year. I'll post a link to the website below. I know there are all kinds of musical acts, fireworks, hot air balloon races, etc. Since the price of admission does NOT include any BBQ (I always include this disclaimer since the media tends to be ambiguous at best and misleading at worst when it comes to advertising these things), they have a section where different teams will be providing food. You'll be able to buy tickets and trade them for various items.

It's supposed to be warm and sunny this weekend, come on out!

Great American BBQ

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

For anyone who doesn't already know about it and happens to be looking for plans this holiday weekend, the "Great American BBQ" is being held at the Woodlands (97th St. and Leavenworth Rd in KCK).  This is only the second year for this contest, and from what I have heard it's a lot of fun and way less cramped than the American Royal in general size and also the parking situation.  Chileheadmike and I are on a team this year, opting for this event over the Royal later in the year.  I'll post a link to the website below.  I know there are all kinds of musical acts, fireworks, hot air balloon races, etc.  Since the price of admission does NOT include any BBQ (I always include this disclaimer since the media tends to be ambiguous at best and misleading at worst when it comes to advertising these things), they have a section where different teams will be providing food.  You'll be able to buy tickets and trade them for various items. 

It's supposed to be warm and sunny this weekend, come on out!

Great American BBQ

Thanks for the reminder, Z. It's always fun to see how creatively you try to sneak more than the legal % of meat/meat fat into your side dish :wink: I might add that contestants really like it when a whole bunch of people show up during the turn-in period (Saturday, 10am-3pm) and create confusion and havoc, so try to time your visit accordingly :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Thanks for the reminder, Z.  It's always fun to see how creatively you try to sneak more than the legal % of meat/meat fat into your side dish :wink:  I might add that contestants really like it when a whole bunch of people show up during the turn-in period (Saturday, 10am-3pm) and create confusion and havoc, so try to time your visit accordingly :laugh:

I've got all the ingredients and have my calculator on standby for the mathematics involved in the proper vegetable/pork fat ratios. I may be able to patent my bacon distillation process if I can get it perfected between now and Friday.

Yes, a half hour before the first turn-in is ALWAYS the best time to stop by and pester very large, hungover men with butcher knives and big metal containers full of white hot coals. I think the reason they are doing this thing out at the Woodlands is because it's so damn close to Providence Medical Center. Look forward to seeing everyone bright and early on Saturday!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

How have I never heard of this? I grew up on Leavenworth road! Anyway, I've got the weekend off, so I'll be there looking for you guys (hopefully you'll want a "professional" opinion on the quality of your bbq :wink: ) see you there.

Edit to add: this post is Dave not Colby, we all know he's from JOCO anyway.

Edited by ChefCAG (log)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Dave, thanks for the clarification. I could have sworn I remembered Colby pining for the days back in Joco. I grew up between Leavenworth Road and Parallel, just off 38th St. so I'm glad to get back into the 'dotte for this contest. In fact, when I was heading to Parkville tonight on 435, Motorhead's "The Ace of Spades" came on the radio at the exact moment I was entering Wyandotte County. I took that as the ultimate good omen for this weekend, lol! We're in space 557 and will expect to see our bacon/cream cheese/little smokie/jalapeno smoked appetizers on the Bluestem menu first thing next week.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

How have I never heard of this?  I grew up on Leavenworth road!  Anyway, I've got the weekend off, so I'll be there looking for you guys (hopefully you'll want a "professional" opinion on the quality of your bbq  :wink: ) see you there.

Edit to add: this post is Dave not Colby, we all know he's from JOCO anyway.

Dave,

This is only the second annual occurrance for this contest. They did quite well last year for the innaugural one, though, drawing many of the "usual suspects" who often win, place or show at the Jack Daniels, Memphis in May and the Royal. It was started by some of the venerable organizers and competitors as an alternative to The Royal, when it became too huge, too commercial, to family-oriented-carnival-"all things to all people" for the real 'cue crowd (among other things).

Bring a comfy chair - we can toss back a few and watch these boys work (for a change) :laugh:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Is this the same BBQ cook-off that I saw featured on The Food Network last year?

I don't think so. They featured the Royal a few times and one in Louisiana that was called The US Championship or something close to that. There was only one year for that competition. They also feature Memphis in May frequently.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Well I spent a few hours last night prepping 100+ "ABT's". Jalapenos that have been halved, stuffed with cream cheese, a little smokie and wrapped in bacon (for those of you who may not have had the pleasure of enjoying the most popular STAPLE of bbq circuit cooking). Should be a good time, the weather is going to be pretty warm but no rain as far as I know.

If we win the big money, Mike and I are going to celebrate by fashioning beer bong-like funnels and have someone use them to force-feed us entire lobes of foie gras. It will be delicious performance art in support of our friends up in Chicago, not to mention just plain fun.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

If we win the big money, Mike and I are going to celebrate by fashioning beer bong-like funnels and have someone use them to force-feed us entire lobes of foie gras.  It will be delicious performance art in support of our friends up in Chicago, not to mention just plain fun.

You know what happens after the gauvage, though, right?

M.F.K. Fisher

If we win the big money, Mike and I are going to celebrate by fashioning beer bong-like funnels and have someone use them to force-feed us entire lobes of foie gras.  It will be delicious performance art in support of our friends up in Chicago, not to mention just plain fun.

Yeah... look what it did to Chicago (aldermen). :laugh: ... ahem... :hmmm:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Yeah... look what it did to Chicago (aldermen). :laugh: ... ahem... :hmmm:

u.e.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::cool:

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Okay, finally somewhat recovered from this weekend and the contest results are all in....

With the exception of ribs we had a pretty great year, with "great" meaning we're very pleased with our results considering the fact that so many of the teams do this almost every weekend. We're just thrilled to ever rank in the top 50th percentile in any given category, since we only do it once or twice each year.

Out of a total of 210 teams, here are our results......

Chicken- 87th

Ribs- 178th (no clue what happened there, need some practice I guess)

Pork- 84th

Brisket- 74th

Overall in the meat categories- 114th

Veggies- 12th

Beans- 12th

Potatoes- 28th

Overall in the side dish categories- SIXTH PLACE!!

No money, no ribbons, but we're finally getting our cooking and turn-in techniques solidified. This was the first time Mike and I split the pork and brisket down the middle to take home with us, they were both that good. My only regret is that I didn't win first in anything and thereby gain the rights to change the team name to "Loinback Mountain".

I have to add that we were extremely pleased with every aspect of the event. Check-in was smooth, we had a great space out in the back 40, and the volunteers were absolutely stellar. Every thirty minutes at the most we had someone come by in a golf cart asking if we needed ice, water, charcoal, etc. Saturday morning they came by handing out Krispy Kremes and Roasterie Coffee. For this only being the second year for the Great American BBQ, they are off to one hell of a start. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

We stopped by to visit these "losers" and sample the infamous ABTs Friday evening. Sadly our schedule didn't allow us to return to see the Saturday morning damage.

I'm very impressed that you did so well in the sides. When you have a minute, let us know what you prepared (omitting, of course, the secret ingredient, so you won't have to kill us).

We all agreed that the relative sanity, services, amenities and layout was far superior in many ways to the Royal. I know they try hard but it's just gotten so big and so NOT about the bbq (if I wanted to go to a family fun event, a Texas hold 'em tournament, a drive-in movie or a concert, I would just GO to one of those!). I'm glad to see the old pros who made the Royal the great event it used to be have turned in two such successful outcomes at the Great American. We'll definitely be there next year. Now, if they could just arrange for cooler weather. It's always something. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm very impressed that you did so well in the sides.  When you have a minute, let us know what you prepared (omitting, of course, the secret ingredient, so you won't have to kill us).

Thanks, we were definitely pleased with sixth overall on the sides. Looking at the top five teams individual scores, a better score in potatoes would have gotten us third place easily. I don't know what all Mike puts in his beans, I know there is sausage in his potatoes. I do mushrooms for the veggie dish, and I'm getting to where I'm pretty tight lipped on everything that goes into those with the exception of a ton of pork fat. They are pretty phenomenal. We're going to start putting more energy into the presentation, that would have scored us some extra points across the board. May have to hit Dave up next year to see if he'll be our garnish guy.

ABT's are just the greatest. A real crowd pleaser and contest staple. I made about 110 of them, and we only had about fifteen left the next day.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Oh, also forgot to mention that I think we have real "sponsors" for any future contests. My parents and some friends of theirs liked hanging out eating and drinking so much that they're going to cover entry fees and meat costs for us. That will free us from a lot of scrambling in the weeks prior to the contest, and while we'll still recruit friends to serve as team members/flunkies, Mike and I are taking ownership of all cooking. We used to try digging someone up to do chicken or even pork, but not any more!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I'm very impressed that you did so well in the sides.  When you have a minute, let us know what you prepared (omitting, of course, the secret ingredient, so you won't have to kill us).

That's easy, the secret ingredient is bacon fat. :shock:

Beans are straight forward

bacon

onion

brown sugar

rub

molasas

ancho chile powder (home grown and smoke dried)

your favorite bbq sauce

and stuff on the smoker for a while

Potatoes with Andouille

bacon

onion

bell pepper

celery

garlic

tomato

andouille

chicken stock

rub

thyme

Make the trinity. Make the roux. Add the spuds.

Tracy and all at the GAB did a great job of putting on the huge event. Vonlunteers could not have been nicer, and all of our needs were anticipated and provided for in a timely and cheerful manner.

That will free us from a lot of scrambling in the weeks prior to the contest, and while we'll still recruit friends to serve as team members/flunkies, Mike and I are taking ownership of all cooking. 

Cool! I shall have minions. :cool:

Cool! I shall have minions.  :cool:

That's what you had kids for, Mike! :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher