• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ikea cafeteria & packaged foods

Lee Ratliff

No Velveeta. Just add a few eggs as a binder and a little mayonnaise mixed with the cream of mushroom soup. Sprinkle with crushed potato chips.

:rolleyes: Hmmm... sounds like something to make for the next pot luck. I think I'm making it!

Peanutgirl, I think you need to make one right away and photograph it.

I'm thinking in addition to the crushed potato chip crust we use Durkee onions, for maximum white trash effect.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Peanutgirl, I think you need to make one right away and photograph it.

I'm thinking in addition to the crushed potato chip crust we use Durkee onions, for maximum white trash effect.

Sounds like a plan! When I make it, and I will... I will definitely photograph it. I am sadly not in possesion of any Ikea Meatballs at the moment though :sad: .

...ate at the IKEA in Long Beach

Where is there an IKEA in Long Beach?? There wasn't one when I was there!! :angry:

We used to buy Hafi Gooseberry and Cloudberry preserves for really cheap when we went to IKEA. It was a couple dollars per vs. the nearly $10 our local gourmet sells it for. Of course that several years ago. Was that in Torrance?? We'd always also stop in for lunch when we shopped, but that was when I was a vegetarian, so I've never had their meatballs. I hear there's an IKEA in Montreal, but, what with crowds, traffic & children, we haven't been there yet. Actually, children may be the best reason to shop there...

Julie Layne

"...a good little eater."

• 2 weeks later...

More Ikea photos:

gallery_2_3022_149275.jpg

The blue and yellow labyrinth of Medium Density Fiberboard Furniture hell. All it needs is a good Minotaur or Rancor beast and it would be complete.

gallery_2_3022_118049.jpg

gallery_2_3022_268849.jpg

gallery_2_3022_256900.jpg

gallery_2_3022_120380.jpg

Don't miss these cookies, whatever the hell they are called.

gallery_2_3022_159268.jpg

I think what they are trying to tell you is that you should have the meatballs.

gallery_2_3022_51620.jpg

The menu.

gallery_2_3022_108291.jpg

The Cafe was very busy that day.

gallery_2_3022_127045.jpg

The Newark location is great for plane watching.

gallery_2_3022_16980.jpg

gallery_2_3022_89478.jpg

gallery_2_3022_164453.jpg

Rachel thought the mac and cheese was from Stouffer's.

gallery_2_3022_242687.jpg

Salmon Plate

gallery_2_3022_155948.jpg

The soup of the day, a vegetable minestrone, was very good.

gallery_2_3022_139061.jpg

The signature meatballs. Yum.

gallery_2_3022_315890.jpg

There's something very Horn and Hardartian about this place.

gallery_2_3022_68961.jpg

Ligonberry Drink. I like to call this Bug Juice.

gallery_2_3022_176799.jpg

Daim Cake. It was much enjoyed by all.

gallery_2_3022_167971.jpg

The Apple Cake. Also very good.

gallery_2_3022_177640.jpg

Ligonberry Cake. Eh.

gallery_2_3022_90956.jpg

A view from the cafe. Lost Ark of the Covenant, Aisle 34.

gallery_2_3022_255493.jpg

What we came for. You didn't think I was gonna buy any of that cheap Swedish furniture, did you?

gallery_2_3022_225536.jpg

Get your fill of Swedish Candy.

gallery_2_3022_175648.jpg

And pickled herring.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I also strongly recommend the Svenska Lantchips potato chips they sell at the Cafe. Truly excellent.

http://www.svenskalantchips.se/Nyheter/sta...p?ttWCM=1,1,1,0

• 3 years later...

15 Swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingonberry sauce, $4.99.

Half a rack of ribs with cornbread and fries, $7.99 (Wednesdays after 4 pm).

Pasta in veggie tomato sauce, $1.99.

Scrambled eggs, bacon and home fries, $0.99.

Hot dogs, $0.50.

Really, does anyone do cheap, industrial food better than Ikea? Sure, it's virtually all factory-made, and those meatballs are the same ones you can buy bagged in the Swedish Food Mart at the exit. But it's nutritious, tasty and cheap.

Even the Swedish food mart for prepping at home excels. The dethawed Chinese crayfish that I'd pay $11.99 a pound for cooked at the Reading Terminal Market are $5.99 for a 2 kg box (4.4 pounds). The local Swedish American Chamber of Commerce holds its annual crayfish fest at Ikea's restaurant. The savings are nearly as dramatic on the smoked salmon and gravlax. And if Russ & Daughter or any Eastern European ethnic store isn't easily available, it's hard to find a better herring selection, even if its jarred rather than prepared in the back room.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report