• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guy Savoy (Las Vegas)

Chef Savoy actually speaks quite good English.  At one point during the welcoming hour, I stepped out onto the small patio with Chef Savoy.  Just the two of us standing there while the other guests moved into the dining room to sit down.  I asked him how things were going in Las Vegas.  He said "beautiful weather, a beautiful restaurant and beautiful ingredients, it is all very good."

:blink:

Are you talking about Guy Savoy or his son Franck? Franck speaks English very well, but I thought Guy doesn't speak English. Whenever I have spoken to Guy, it was always with my less-than-desirable French. Oh well...

Franck's wife, however, is a very charming woman and I remember hearing that she speaks many (five?) languages.

Are you talking about Guy Savoy or his son Franck?  Franck speaks English very well, but I thought Guy doesn't speak English.  Whenever I have spoken to Guy, it was always with my less-than-desirable French.  Oh well...

Franck's wife, however, is a very charming woman and I remember hearing that she speaks many (five?) languages.

Yes, I was talking about my conversation, in English, with Chef Savoy. It wasn't along conversation, but I thought his English was just fine.

Franck was all over the restaurant on the night we were there. A very nice young man and has others have mentioned here, he struck me as a Maitre'D right out of a 1960's 'Continental' dining room-flawless service and with a warm welcome for everyone. And since the President of Caesar's Palace was at the private dinner, I am sure all of the staff felt a measure of added pressure. Of course, these folks are under pressure every night and as you would imagine, everything went off without a hitch-other than me spilling expensive champagne on a white tablecloth!