• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry Bruschetta

Kim Shook

I tried making Giada De Laurentiis' Strawberry Bruschetta today. I watched her do this on tv the other day and, as far as I can tell, I duplicated it exactly today. I am having no luck caramelizing the sugar :unsure: . It's as if the juice from the strawberries is making the sugar wet and therefore it won't caramelize. I tried to 'pile up' the sugar a bit and use the torch really quickly after putting on the sugar, but can't get a caramelization. Is there something that I could do to avoid this, because it looks so good :wub: and we are just starting to get strawberries here! Thanks!

Water will definitely prevent (or slow) caramelization. I would dry the strawberries first and try to caramelize over the skin rather than a cut surface. Another option is to caramelize the strawberries the way you would bananas -- combine sugar and some butter over very high heat, add the strawberries when the sugar starts to caramelize, and then take them back out with a fork. Be careful though because working over high heat you can easily burn the caramel.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Strawberries + Bruschetta ................. I'm sure there's been some sort of crime being committed here.  :hmmm:

If said crime involves crispy bread, dripping with butter and sweet berry juices sign me up.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Strawberries + Bruschetta ................. I'm sure there's been some sort of crime being committed here.  :hmmm:

If said crime involves crispy bread, dripping with butter and sweet berry juices sign me up.

Yup, me too! If you go to the recipe, you'll see that it's just good bread (I used a thin ciabatta), toasted crisp, buttered, with sliced strawberries on top. Sprinkle with sugar and caramelize. Thats it. What could be wrong with that :unsure: ?? I think that 'bruschetta' is just a sort of short cut word so to explain how it is put together. Anyway. How is this much different from strawberry jam with toast?