• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Satisfying Dish to Make

Similiar to cabrales' question concerning the favourite dish: what is your favourite dish to make as such? Would it be appropriate to the cuisine at Blue Hill? If it isn't, why not?

Also, what is your favourite truc?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

A favorite dish to make? Depends entirely on the time of year, but asuming you mean right now, I'll go with pasta and tomato sauce.

I remember finishing a summer job in Provence, an incredibly abusive job that made me question what exactly I was doing with my life. I took the TGV to Monoco to have lunch at Alain Ducasse. This was 1994, and Chef Ducasse was recognized with 3 stars but was not quite the international sensation he is today.

My lunch lasted 4 hours and in many ways I have not been the same since. But in answer to your question, I was served a pasta with tomato sauce and tomato confit and that's it. I'll never forget it, but less for the taste and much more for the boldness of the dish. He was saying, I think in essence, there isn't anything much better than that in the middle of the summer. And he was right.

So it's what I'll be making tonight, now that you've reminded me of it.