• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best manapua/ cha siu bau in NYC?

Graphix

sorry for the second thread but this seemed obscure enough to deserve its own topic. I grew up eating manapua/cha siu bau in hawaii and it has to be one of my favorite food items ever. Anyone know where to get a good on in NYC?

thanks

B

sorry for the second thread but this seemed obscure enough to deserve its own topic. I grew up eating manapua/cha siu bau in hawaii and it has to be one of my favorite food items ever. Anyone know where to get a good on in NYC?

thanks

B

All my filipino friends & their families love the Char siu bao at Mei Lei Wah on Bayard st. bet. Elizabeth & Mott St. in Chinatown baked or steamed. Mei Lei Wah is one of the few old school coffee shops left in chinatown. I started getting them into the "Dai Bao" as well and they love it.

I also like going to May May Gourmet Chinese Bakery on 35 Pell St. in Chinatown for their "Baos" and other delicacies. http://www.maymayfood.com/index.htm

not sure exactly, but i think alot of hawaiian food is sorta asian related, IE spam nigiri/spam sushi etc. Alot of white rice and veggies and such. I know there is a a difference though, manapua made in hawaii is BIG, something like the size of a softball, a good inch or more of soft sticky steamed dumpling around a sweet tender red pork filling. I havent been back to hawaii in 13 years but i can still taste manapua if i think about it.

b