• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking to buy a keg

I'm throwing a major-league barbecue early next month -- 8 racks of ribs, 4 chickens and one or two pork butts are all going into the smoker. Now I need a keg. Any ideas who to call?

Thanks for the help.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I'm throwing a major-league barbecue early next month -- 8 racks of ribs, 4 chickens and one or two pork butts are all going into the smoker. Now I need a keg. Any ideas who to call?

Thanks for the help.

just about any liquor store, no? they'll have the tap and everything.

Thanks for the help.

I'm looking for a distributor who will have the kegs in stock and won't have to special order anything.

-- Albert Ellis

Thanks for the help.

I'm looking for a distributor who will have the kegs in stock and won't have to special order anything.

well, if you don't have any luck, i'd think that any liquor store could help you with a couple of day's notice. most have kegs on hand, and can get them within a day or two if not. i don't think there's an appreciable price difference btwn what a liquor store would charge and what a distributor-type place would charge. although i'm not even sure what a distributor type place is in this context!

Distributors (aka wholesalers) are not allowed to sell to retail customers, only to licensed stores.

Pretty much any decent size liquor store can get a keg on a day or two notice. It will come with their regular beer delivery.

JohnnyH- you sure do seem to be thinking like a transplanted New Yorker (and that is coming from a transplanted New Yorker :wink: ). In this case I think you would be better off just ordering the thing since it is for a planned event- at least you'll know that there will be a tap waiting for you along with the beer.

Distributors (aka wholesalers) are not allowed to sell to retail customers, only to licensed stores.
In New York they are actually called 'beer distributors' although they are really retail outfits.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

JohnnyH- you sure do seem to be thinking like a transplanted New Yorker (and that is coming from a transplanted New Yorker :wink:  ). In this case I think you would be better off just ordering the thing since it is for a planned event- at least you'll know that there will be a tap waiting for you along with the beer.
In New York they are actually called 'beer distributors' although they are really retail outfits.

NJ has those too. you'll see words like "wholesale", "warehouse", "distributor", but it's all the same. prices vary from store to store, regardless of the name they go by.

Most liquor stores will have kegs in stock (mostly Bud, Coors, Coors LT, MGD) but to be on the safe side or if you want something special call in advance so they can tag a keg for you and set aside a tap. If it's a real busy weekend and you don't reserve something you might be out of luck.

cork and keg, not near bloomfield, but within a half-hour ride, are the keg kings of New JErsey. They actually sell more kegs than anyone and have a selection that would rock any beer lovers world. Cork and Keg, Emerson...

I find Total Wine in the Essex Green Mall in West Orange to have a quality selection at affordable prices.

Total Wine West Orange

Address

325 Prospect Ave. & I-280

West Orange, NJ 07052

Another possibility is the Bottle King on Bloomfield Ave in Glen Ridge.

Glen Ridge

710 Bloomfield Ave.

(973) 748-5033

Mon-Sat 9am-10pm

Sun 12pm-5pm

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

cork and keg, not near bloomfield, but within a half-hour ride, are the keg kings of New JErsey. They actually sell more kegs than anyone and have a selection that would rock any beer lovers world. Cork and Keg, Emerson...

Perfect. Thank you.

-- Albert Ellis