• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porcella Urban Market

Just an FYI, we haven't sold a single spot for the Ethan Stowell class this Sunday.

Any one know of a Union thread to post this on?

Wow, hadn't heard a word about it! Here's a Union thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=48070&st=90

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

• 1 month later...

Had an incredible lunch at Porcella last week. We got the charcuterie platter (my favourite), the grilled chicken and pancetta sandwich, truffled fries and the cassoleut. Noah threw in a piece of duck confit for me because I couldn't decide between the cassoleut or the duck dish. :biggrin:

How gorgeous is this...

gallery_35727_2396_165657.jpg

gallery_35727_2396_360597.jpg

I think it was the fries and the charcuterie that did me in...I took a 3 hour nap after lunch, and woke up in time for dinner. :laugh:

Had lunch here today: WOW!

Time-travel back to Saturday noon: I was telling a friend that I was at Salumi last week for lunch, and that we needed to meet there sometime. He said that he'd recently tried Porcella, and that I really needed to head there.

So head there we did. He had warned me that the chef Noah loved fat in his charcuterie, and I found out this was an understatement. Almost everything was extremely rich - in that pork/duck fat sort of way.

There is now great charcuterie on the eastside!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Where did Noah run off to? He's been gone from Porcella since last summer.

And it seems the shop has suffered for it. We went in before New Years to pick up some braseola. We used to adore Porcella's braseola (and prosciutto, but they were out as usual), but this last time it was terrible! We chucked it in the garbage. Talk about disappointing.

Have other meats suffered the same fate?

Is Noah somewhere else making amazing cured meats? I'd love to know.

I'm currently punching the clock at Whole Paycheck so I can spend some more time with my family. I loved my time at Porcella but it was hard for me to find a work and life balance. I do have some Venison Salami hanging in my garage right now but none for sale :raz:

Thanks for the kind words.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I wish I'd read to the end of this thread before running off and trying the food here. I ordered the cured meats plate and was dissapointed in the quality of meat. Definetly not the quality described at the beginning of the thread.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm currently punching the clock at Whole Paycheck so I can spend some more time with my family. I loved my time at Porcella but it was hard for me to find a work and life balance. I do have some Venison Salami hanging in my garage right  now but none for sale :raz:

Thanks for the kind words.

Wow, sorry to hear you are no longer at Porcella, but man, I know about that work-life balance stuff and it can get ugly. Best of luck wherever you find yourself, Noah.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 1 month later...

Just though I'd mention on this thread that Porcella is closing mid May. I saw the signs driving home. I believe the space is going to be taken over by Monsoon from Seattle, at least that's what I have heard.

Just though I'd mention on this thread that Porcella is closing mid May. I saw the signs driving home. I believe the space is going to be taken over by Monsoon from Seattle, at least that's what I have heard.

This is true. R.I.P. Porcella and good luck Kelly.

I didn't get over to Bellevue very often to enjoy Porcella, but their salami absolutely blew away the competition in a taste test I held, and their duck confit was a family favorite. I hope these skills are again put to good use at some point.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May