• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porcella Urban Market

Sunday was a good food day for me. I was on the eastside, I had time to kill. Porcella is now open, and this place is so hip, it's hard to believe you are in Bellevue. All self-respecting foodies should take notice. I knew a gourmet grocery store / deli was going in at this location, but I had no idea what it would be like. I'd heard from someone that it had opened, so I stopped by this afternoon. Wowie.

Big deli case:

gallery_5360_2941_69009.jpg

Market section:

gallery_5360_2941_58946.jpg

Yes, it is a whole suckling pig:

gallery_5360_2941_23672.jpg

They are making their own salumi/charcuterie in-house, at this point they have sopressata, finochionna, salami, calabrese, guanciale, fresh italian sausages, duck proscuitto, along with a few imported items. Oh, and they have lardo. :smile:

gallery_5360_2941_80.jpg

The owner was kind enough to let me come back to the curing room and take some pix:

gallery_5360_2941_67669.jpg

I'm really hoping they'll branch out with the charcuterie, I for one would LOVE to have someone here making Morteau sausages a la the ones I find at Oyama's on Granville Island.

Roasted chickens and pheasants:

gallery_5360_2941_117719.jpg

And Malarkey's favorite: All Things Duck! Confit, 2 kinds of pâtés, duck rillettes, salt-cured foie gras (something I've never seen before and yes it was very tasty) They also have pork rillettes and smoked ham hocks... yes ALL this is made in-house:

gallery_5360_2941_150698.jpg

They are also making infused oils & vinaigrettes, stocks & demi-glaces. What's not to like?! They have a whole wall o' wine and a nice selection of beer.

The deli had Morel Mushroom Risotto, Tuscan Beans, a Saffron Rice Pilaf, a Sunchoke & Potato Gratin... It's easy to put together a pretty fabulous meal here.

I picked up some goodies while there, a bit of dinner for myself: Provençal potato salad, with sun dried tomatoes, niçoise olives, anchovies, onion and herbs; a lovely golden beet salad with tarragon, parsley and other herbs; a leg of confit; some of the rillettes, a jar of Moutarde d'Orleans and some baguette slices nicely toasted, gently pan-fry the confit leg till slightly crispy...it made a lovely sunday night supper. They have some unusual jarred and canned items that I needed to have in my kitchen so they came home with me also, things I've not seen anywhere else, so these guys have done their homework.

Yay! This makes me happy as an eastside worker, and it should make anyone living on the eastside ecstatic. Now, go see them and buy stuff so they are successful!

Porcella Urban Market

Born Free, Now Expensive

I was at Porcella on Saturday. It's overwhelming. I felt like a total hick--dozens of products I'd never heard of, many at staggering prices, and that deli case, dang. I didn't buy anything; I wasn't sure where to start. Now that I've had time to process, I could go for some rillettes, some lardo, some hocks, and maybe some of that bottled water in the cool color-reflecting bottles.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I'm thinking it's gonna be a regular stop for me on my binge night (usually fridays and sometimes saturdays) I'm such an addict that I don't even notice the prices till it all gets tallied at the register. I see, I want, I take home. LOL

Born Free, Now Expensive

Thank you for all the kind words. Me and Kelly have had a great time finding interesting products for the retail side of the space and its nice to hear positive feedback from like minded food geeks. Malarkey,I remember when you came in only because it makes me happy to meet people that are as excited about Lardo as I am. My cure room should be fully functional by next week so I will be adding lots of new products to the Charcuterie line up,stay tuned. Thanks again for the feedback.

Noah Mellich,Chef

Porcella Urban Market

• 4 weeks later...

Porcella is offering a Sausage 101 class on July 9th. Classes are limited to 10 and all hands on. Looks like a screaming deal....

Check it out:

A MEAT LOVER’S DREAM

Porcella Urban Market Offers Sausage Making 101 at First July Class

SEATTLE…June 19, 2006 — July is just around the corner, and Porcella is ramping up with its second month of cooking classes. Chef Noah Mellich invites non-vegetarians to the first class Sunday, July 9, when he teaches guests how to make a selection of house-made sausages. Aficionados will learn the sausage making process, and be able to make their own cured, bulk and breakfast sausages—all made from premium pork. Students will be able to take home their fresh bulk sausage and crepinettes after class. Their salami will be tagged and cured, which can be picked up from Porcella after eight weeks.

Cost is $40 per person. Class starts at 4:30 p.m. and space is extremely limited, reservations are required. Call Porcella at (425) 286-0080 to make reservations.

www.porcellaurbanmarket.com.

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the sausage making class over at Porcella. Noah was fantastic! Apparently they'll be doing a terrine class coming up soon (date yet to be announced, but likely at the end of the month). For the price--including a bag of goodies to go, these classes are a great deal.

It was fun seeing other fellow eG folk there as well....nice to meet Dave and Mr. & Mrs. Kiteless. :)

Traca

Seattle, WA

Thanks to the eG folks that came to tonights class,I hope you all enjoyed yourselves and maybe learned some stuff as well. The Terrine class will be sometime early August, I'll post the date here when its finalized. I will be in touch when your sausages are ready for pick up. Thanks again,

Noah

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Porcella Urban Market for the first time-Stunning!

Noticed a charcuterie class is being offered on Sunday, August 13th. "Pate Campagne, Rillette, & other French Classics," will be included.

Bon Appetit !

I was there this morning and the one salad I chose was apparently from yesterday since the lady said it was not fresh, that the bread was soggy. So I guess I'm wondering why it was on display...... I did enjoy the duck leg.

LindaSEANYC, I get the case switched out everyday before lunch gets rolling and I'm sure the counter person knew that I hadnt pulled and replaced everything yet so she didnt want you to buy something you would be unhappy with, but you are right it shouldnt have been in the case if it wasnt ready for purchase. Please come try us out again.

Noah

Excuse the ignorant question, but this is located on Main Street and what? It sounds like it is worth coming down from Mill Creek for. Is it close to the Gregg's bicycle shop?

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Noah, will all the future classes be scheduled on Sundays?

(I wish I could attend a class, but I have to work on Sundays.)

Ling, right now Wednesday and Sunday are our class days and I have my son on Weds. so for the next year or so Sunday is my only open day for classes. Kelly has been doing dinners and classes on weekdays though, maybe he'll do one that works for your schedule.

Did you all see the review about Porcella in the PI?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/279108_rest28.html

Congrats to Kelly & Noah. Thankfully, now I don't have to schlep over to Seattle for all my gourmet goodies!

~T

PS. Malarkey, I think some of your pictures are better than the ones in the article!

Edited by scarlett (log)

Traca

Seattle, WA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...