• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greenville, SC this w/e....

Lan4Dawg

does any one know of any restaurants that are going to be open this w/e (Memorial Day) in Greenville? Any other w/e and we would have no problems but we are heading over to see the new base ball team & stadium and want dinner on Sunday pm (always a bugger to find decent places on Sunday which is why I am asking this esteemed group) and may be some thing on Monday day after the zoo. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. We are not looking for any thing fancy--especially since things will be limited--as a matter of fact the less dressy the better.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

How about giving some of these places a quick phone call?

thread here with options for Greenville

I'd think about Soby's myself ... :wink:

Memorial Day Weekend is coming up fast and to many of you this means a fine backyard cookout featuring smoked pork ribs, watermelon, potato salad, Cole slaw, roasted corn, brownies and apple pie.  Now if you are not planning such a feast but would like to be invited to one, here's your chance.  On Friday & Saturday night we will serve all of your favorite backyard staples and add in buttermilk fried chicken and our own handmade Hot Dogs served in a Brioche bun!  That's right, we're going to make hot dogs.  We will also make the mustard and onion relish.  We will serve smoked pork ribs just like the ones that caused Bon Appetit Magazine to name yours truly "Who's Who in American Barbecue" in 2003.

this just in!

33 Liberty ... Chef John Malik

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

thx Melissa but most of those places are open on Fr/Sat and we will be there on Sun/Mon hence my dilemma. The w/e menu for 33 Liberty looks wonderful and I wish we could take off on Saturday but can not leave before Sun am.

We might just take our own and grill up there. I wish I knew what the tail gate restrictions were at the new stadium but there is nothing about it on their web site.

the best cat ever.

For what its worth the new stadium is gorgeous, and you can still feel good about yourself if you just pretend the team is called the Joe's (in honor of Shoeless) instead of the Drive....

Tailgating close to the stadium may be tough so i might advise against bringing the grill. You might try Chicory Alley on South Main as a light dining option, or the restaurant in the Poinsett hotel which is supposed to be quite good (Spoonbreads)...both of which will be close-ish to the stadium.

Greenville is one of the best cities in the world, but it doesn't run on all cylanders during Sundays. Stax Omega is a perfectly respectable diner, as is Stax original if you are feeling like a big breakfast.

Rick Erwin and Deveraux's have both opened recently and seem trendy, they're also downtown and close to the stadium...i'ld bet one of the two would be open on Sunday.

Selfishly, since I haven't been to the stadium and posted recently on the Southern Foodways Forum about this, I'd like to hear if there were any good eats in the actual stadium...

Enjoy your trip to God's Country

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

Sorry but we are closed on Sunday and since I have never made hot dogs before they my not turn out all that good :cool:

Sunday night in Greenville near the stadium will be tough. There's always Sticky Fingers if you want something casual, just don't go in there thinking you're going to have fabulous barbecue. The service is prompt and friendly, it's always clean and your food will arrive promptly. Their burgers are good too! Or Barley's for a facsimile of pizza. At Barley's you can get some terrific micro brew but it's a shame that the pie doesn't match the beer quality. There is also a chain pizza joint near the stadium, Mellow Mushroom which probably does a better job than Pizza Hut....

Devereaux's is open on Sunday but it is anything but casual. Same goes for Rick Erwin's.

The food at the stadium is no better or no worse than the food at your local county fair. It is reasonably priced though. A standard hot dog will set you back $2.00, sodas are only $1.75 and you can polish it all off with an ice cream for $2.00.

The Drive are 50/50 right now but the games I have been to have been exciting, the stadium is clean and attractive and well run and the crowd is polite.

As for tail gating, since the stadium does not have it's own parking lot you would be cooking on the street.

After the zoo on Monday?

There should be several Main Street locations serving lunch on Monday. For something casual We do have a 5 guys burgers on Congaree, there's Sarah's Kitchen on Augusta Road which is my favorite meat & three and Rosalinda's on Pleasantburg but the last time I ate there she had taken a few shortcuts....

Call before you go on Monday because it's Memorial Day so I can't guarantee any of these places will be open.

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Sorry but we are closed on Sunday and since I have never made hot dogs before they my not turn out all that good :cool:

Sunday night in Greenville near the stadium will be tough.  There's always Sticky Fingers if you want something casual, just don't go in there thinking you're going to have fabulous barbecue.  The service is prompt and friendly, it's always clean and your food will arrive promptly.  Their burgers are good too!  Or Barley's for a facsimile of pizza.  At Barley's you can get some terrific micro brew but it's a shame that the pie doesn't match the beer quality.  There is also a chain pizza joint near the stadium, Mellow Mushroom which probably does a better job than Pizza Hut....

Devereaux's is open on Sunday but it is anything but casual.  Same goes for Rick Erwin's. 

The food at the stadium is no better or no worse than the food at your local county fair.  It is reasonably priced though.  A standard hot dog will set you back $2.00, sodas are only $1.75 and you can polish it all off with an ice cream for $2.00.

The Drive are 50/50 right now but the games I have been to have been exciting, the stadium is clean and attractive and well run and the crowd is polite. 

As for tail gating, since the stadium does not have it's own parking lot you would be cooking on the street.

After the zoo on Monday?

There should be several Main Street locations serving lunch on Monday.  For something casual We do have a 5 guys burgers on Congaree, there's Sarah's Kitchen on Augusta Road which is my favorite meat & three and Rosalinda's on Pleasantburg but the last time I ate there she had taken a few shortcuts....

Call before you go on Monday because it's Memorial Day so I can't guarantee any of these places will be open.

Thx John

I am surprised that Devereaux's & Rick Erwin's will be open on Mem'l w/e Sunday and did not even consider them. We might have to get all dressy as I wanted to try both. We have visited Barley's several times to enjoy the beers. Their calzone is not bad and on the serious plus side the thing is huge! We are very familiar w/ Mellow Mushroom as they are an Atl institution. Unfortunately franchising has seriously hit their quality.

btw, I appreciate the "where we eat" link on your web page. That is very helpful

for situations such as this. I wish we could head up there on Saturday and enjoy your fare.

the best cat ever.

Where are you coming from? I'm just wondering what options you normally have.

I know this isn't really a restaurant, but I might be tempted to swing by the new Whole Foods on Woodruff Rd. and sample their various food bars for a casual option. But I'm in Clemson so I always make it a point to go to Whole Foods, Earth Fare, or some other specialty grocery whenever I'm in Greenville. There's always something I need/want.

Blue Ridge Brewery on the main drag is a good choice for casual on a Sunday night, but I don't know that they'll be open on that particular Sunday. The food is decent, with an interesting variety of game meats (haven't tried any of that). My favorite reason for going there on Sunday nights is that they have that special Sunday liquor license so you can get beer. :biggrin: Oh, avoid the fried shrimp, it was tasteless last time I went.

I've never been to Barley's, but I would hope they have the same deal ragarding the beer.

Edited for egergious spelling errors.

Edited by morda (log)

we are heading up fr/ NE metro Atl (Lawrenceville). We like the minor league parks b/c it actually takes less drive time, costs less money (even w/ hotel & dinner), and is a better experience than going to the Braves game in Atl.

We usually stay w/ friends at Lake Hartwell then head over and used to tail gate at the old stadium but friends are in Florida and not familiar enough w/ the new stadium to tail gate.

the best cat ever.

We just got back a little while ago. We did stop at Barley's this after noon before we returned after finding that Blue Ridge was closed for the day. Beer was great & food was good but not fantastic. It did beat yesterday's experience how ever. We wanted to catch part of the Braves' game before checking in to our hotel so stopped at a sports pub on the main drag and spent half an hour being ignored. It was not as if they were extremely busy but for what ever reason it took for ever to get a couple of beers and they never did acknowledge any other requests so we left.

We hit a new place for dinner last night--Smoke on the Water. It is right at the Reedy River bridge and about 1/4 mile fr/ the stadium (where the Austrian guy used to have his place that had the amazing brunches). The food was okay but nothing spectacular. I have had (& make) much better smoked foods. The service was just a step above abysmal. The waiter should know before the shift starts that they have no draft beer b/c the cooler is not working and should also know that most of the import beers are kept in the same cooler w/ the kegs so therefore those are not available either. It would save a lot of steps running back and forth to the bar trying to determine what is and is not available. Top that w/ the young man taking ten minutes to tell us what was NOT available fr/ the food menu. It would have taken less time to tell us what they still had. Both food and beverages took longer to arrive than they should have, orders were forgotten, and when food sits under a heat lamp for a period longer than it should it is noticeable and some one should have noticed the crust that had developed over the side items on most of the plates. Now a notice to restaurant owners & managers: if it is 90+ degrees out side and people ask to sit in side it is probably b/c they want to avoid the heat. Do not open all of the doors in the restaurant to make it easier to access what ever diners are seated on the patio and then wonder why it is your patrons in side the restaurant are complaining.

I would not return and would not recommend the place to any one. If we were not in such a hurry to get to the game by the time we finally left I would have said some thing to the management.

the best cat ever.