• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice - Which one do you use?

Although it is a pleasant scented American-style long-grain rice, it can't compare with authentic basmati rice from India.  True basmati is longer, finer, less starchy and even more fragrant.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth Sandra! :biggrin:

Texmati is certainly better than Uncle Bens but not even close to what real Basmati is when cooked.

I cooked Texmati at a friends just tonight, it was the best they could come up with in their pantry. The rice was sad paired next to some of the best curries one would have wanted to eat. But one of the guest that had lived eating Bens did not know better and was amazed at how "Amazing", the Texmati was.

I use Texmati when I have an emergency. When a friend or neighbor has borrowed all my Basmati and I have nothing else to use.

It is strange how not many groceries in NYC carry Basmati, but even the most run of the mill grocery stores in Dallas and even parts of CT and Missouri will carry Basmati rice in their isles. Why is that?

I dunno, it would be difficult to say that Texas has more Indians than NY, though.

BTW, I agree with you about the Basmati -- now, how would you compare it to Jasmine? For fried rice dishes and most asian food, its my absolute favorite.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jasmine has more starch and more weight that makes it more durable to cooking where you stir or have too much contact with the rice. Jasmine is absolutely amazing for such dishes. The long, fine grains of Basmati will break and make the dish not very good, especially in the case of fried rice. Steamed Jasmine is also tastier to me over Texmati. I would use Basmati first, then Patna and then Jasmine. They are three great rices.

BettyK, I will post the recipes for kheer and firni soon, things have been hectic. Again, I am awful when it comes to providing exact measurements, so please don't expect super fancy recipes! I think that is the beauty of this type of food!

BettyK, I will post the recipes for kheer and firni soon, things have been hectic. Again, I am awful when it comes to providing exact measurements, so please don't expect super fancy recipes! I think that is the beauty of this type of food!

It indeed is beautiful and thanks for your generous posts and recipes Oliva... I am inspired by you.. and it clearly seems evident I am not alone.

Look forward to your recipes for the Kheer and Firni.

Suvir,

Is the Basmati Rice I see in my supermarket the real deal?? Or should I try picking this up at the Indian Bazaar also?? I am only asking since the Ovaltine I see in the supermarkets here is not the same Ovaltine I get at the supermarket in Barbados. Some things are processed by different countries, plants etc. for the same company under the same product name but are very different when you open the package.

Jodi

Suvir,

Is the Basmati Rice I see in my supermarket the real deal??  Or should I try picking this up at the Indian Bazaar also??  I am only asking since the Ovaltine I see in the supermarkets here is not the same Ovaltine I get at the supermarket in Barbados.  Some things are processed by different countries, plants etc. for the same company under the same product name but are very different when you open the package. 

Jodi

I think the Basmati in the supermarkets it is the real thing. Is it the best you could find? Not certain it is. But I am quite happy with most I find around the country.

I prefer Pakistani Basmati rice. It somehow is better in the US in comparison to a lot of the Indian rice one finds.

But I never make finding a particular brand an issue. I would be happy getting it easily. When in a store that has choice... Go for the Pakistani one. I think Oliva had given us her favorite brands... try buying those if you can find them easily.

I prefer Pakistani Basmati rice.  It somehow is better in the US in comparison to a lot of the Indian rice one finds.

But I never make finding a particular brand an issue.  I would be happy getting it easily.  When in a store that has choice... Go for the Pakistani one.  I think Oliva had given us her favorite brands... try buying those if you can find them easily.

Jodi- Ovaltine and Milo my faves from prep school days!

The best rice that I have had in the US is at an Afghani restaurant on 9th Avenue. The rice was long and thin, I have never ever had anything quite like it.

At the Afghani restaurant they serve it with butter and sumac, it is exquisite. The name of the restaurant is Afghan Kebab House (9th Avenue, 51st Street) if anyone wants to do some rice research and find out where is was imported from. It is really worth it....and if you find out, please let all of us know!

At the Afghani restaurant they serve it with butter and sumac, it is exquisite. The name of the restaurant is Afghan Kebab House (9th Avenue, 51st Street) if anyone wants to do some rice research and find out where is was imported from. It is really worth it....and if you find out, please let all of us know!

I love that place. And some of my Afghani friends swear by it.

Yes the rice is amazing.