• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deuce

I had failed to write anything concrete down from tarte tatin's recent post about The Full Plate Cafe, but had a vague sense that there was good food in Liberties Walk (2nd-3rd Street, a few blocks south of Girard). I never did find the Full Plate, but stumbled into Deuce and was happy I did.

It seems a bit like a self-consciously hip bar at first, but there's a small dining area off to the right, and a small, but interesting menu. The top part of the menu is a bit confusing, in that it looks like appetizers, but some of the items are rather pricey and the descriptions make them sound rather large, so it could be worth asking for a description. The rest of the menu had sandwiches as well as more conventional entrees. There were 5 or 6 specials printed on the back.

From the specials, I chose some ricotta raviolis with a mushroom broth. $8 might have been a little steep for two averaged-sized raviolis, but they were very good, and there was a good portion of wild mushrooms, and a deliciously earthy, dark broth, so I had no complaints.

DDP had grilled shrimp tacos, which didn't seem to thrill him, but he said they were decent. Two smallish flour tortillas were folded over good grilled shrimp, crisped-up, then dressed with a spicy salsa.

He was much happier with the stuffed pork chop, a generous, bone-in chop that was amazingly juicy, and oozing cheese and herbs and a bit of chile kick. It was accompanied by a cool arugula and white bean salad. I stole a taste, and I'd order it again in a flash. Excellent.

I was in the mood for a burger, and they offer a "Kobe" burger for $15. Despite being annoyed by the misuse of the Kobe label, I ordered it anyway, with smoked cheddar and bacon for an extra dollar each. So the burger ended up costing the same as the pork chop. That said, I felt it was well worth it. It was a very tasty burger, with a great texture and flavor, good toppings, and an excellent soft bun. I'd asked for it medium, and although it looked more done than that, it was so juicy and tender I did not care at all what it looked like. It was accompanied by a huge heap of perfectly-done fries. They were thin, almost shoestring dimensions, looked and tasted fresh-cut, and were wonderfully crispy. A small cup of homemade ketchup accompanied. I have to say this is in the running for the best burger in town... one of the best I've had. LaBan thought the burger was mushy, either they fixed it, or I just disagree.

We had to run, so didn't look at desserts.

They had about 5 good local micorbrews on tap, and large bottled list.

I'm kicking myself for forgetting the camera, platings were lovely. Service was friendly and efficient, including a near-instantaneous delivery of the check when we mentioned we were trying to catch a movie. Gotta love that.

It's always difficult to pass-up the Standard Tap and North Third when in the mood for that kind of good, but not-too-serious food, but I'd go back to Deuce any time.

Deuce

1040 N. 2nd Street

(215) 413-3822

LaBan review

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

A Full Plate is the opposite end of that "mall" from Deuce. Same side.

Really worth it.

Deuce's food doesn't really thrill me. However, it is owned by a former Delilah's manager, and (I think) ex dancer!

Philly Francophiles

• 1 month later...

They have the best "buffalo" wings I've had in a long time, first they are HUGE with just enough tangy spicy sauce to warrant about 6 extra napkins and served in a lovely pile drizzler with blue cheese sauce and shaved celery....just awesome!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I read that the chef recently left, maybe sometime in June (2006), not sure who's cooking right now...

New chef is Alex Fareri, who was there under Scott Schroeder. Still just as good. (And the owner was never a dancer.) Wonder how Deuce will fare with Bar Ferdinand right there.