• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I wanted to ask you about this stuff, but couldn't remember the name until I surfed over to your menu. I enjoyed it as a garnish on your cheeseplate, and it reminded me a little of quince paste - but I think it's something different.

The language looks like Catalan to me. Am I close?

Wilfrid,

Arrop i Talleates is pumpkin that is stewed, or cooked confit style, in grape must. It is a spanish product and you may be right in guessing that is Catalan. I do not know the exact origin.

It seems to have been an old traditional product that has recently drawn new attention. I love the tobacco and leather like qualities balanced with the sweet reduced syrup, much like an old balsamic. A cross section of the large pieces shows a beautiful light colored interior.

I have served it as a garnish with foie gras in the past and we used it as a condiment with some of our cheese offerings.

You can find it retail at stores like Murray's Cheese Shop. I believe Sini Fulvi imports it exclusively for now.

Have you tasted this product anywhere other than at Blue Hill?

Mike

Thanks. I have never seen or heard of it elsewhere, but I will check out Murray's. I infer that it's Catalan because the "and" word is "i" rather than "y", which it would be in Spanish. If only I had a Catalan dictionary at my fingertips, I guess we could find out what the rest means.

There's some more information on the arrop part of the deal right here.

Thanks Wilfrid!

I am crazy about this product as well. I first used it at March Restaurant with Wayne Nish. I am not sure if he is using it on his menu now but you might consider checking with him. He has a very creative approach to using ingredients in a different way than in their traditional context.

I would be interested in hearing what you discover.

Mike