• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good, tasty, and sorta cheap 'tween Ontario n' LA

The topic says it all. A business trip to the LA area, and doing Pink's for lunch. Any ideas for a mixed-pocket-depth crowd? Open to ethnic cuisine, etc, ISO places where the food is better than the atmosphere and the value of being seen there.

Thanks in advance.

:cool:

- Furious from Philly

The topic says it all. A business trip to the LA area, and doing Pink's for lunch. Any ideas for a mixed-pocket-depth crowd? Open to ethnic cuisine, etc, ISO places where the food is better than the atmosphere and the value of being seen there.

Huh? A mixed-pocket-depth crowd? Do you mean something for everyone at different price levels?

If you're doing Pink's (I have yet to go there), then try the Original Tommy's on Rampart & Beverly. It just celebrated their 60th year.

There are many Thai restaurants over in Thai Town on Hollywood Blvd. (between Western & Vermont).

There are many Chinese restaurants over in Monterey Park, as well as in San Gabriel Valley (SGV) in general. Go over to Garvey Ave. (parallel to the 10 Freeway (southern half), between Atlantic Blvd. & Garfield Ave. Just pick a place. They all want your business!

In downtown LA, there's Philippe's over by Chinatown near Union Station. And the Grand Central Market for some Mexican food. And there's Langer's Deli over by MacArthur Park (Haven't been there yet), if you want pastrami sandwiches. And of course, one of my favorites, the Original Pantry Cafe, especially on Tues. & Sat., when they have Country Fried Steak. :wub:

If you have more questions, let us know.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

If you're looking for something between Ontario & LA how about some great Chinese in the San Gabriel Valley? Alhambra or Monterey Park or . . .

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Huh? A mixed-pocket-depth crowd? Do you mean something for everyone at different price levels?

If you're doing Pink's (I have yet to go there), then try the Original Tommy's on Rampart & Beverly. It just celebrated their 60th year.

There are many Thai restaurants over in Thai Town on Hollywood Blvd. (between Western & Vermont).

There are many Chinese restaurants over in Monterey Park, as well as in San Gabriel Valley (SGV) in general. Go over to Garvey Ave. (parallel to the 10 Freeway (southern half), between Atlantic Blvd. & Garfield Ave. Just pick a place. They all want your business!

In downtown LA, there's Philippe's over by Chinatown near Union Station. And the Grand Central Market for some Mexican food. And there's Langer's Deli over by MacArthur Park (Haven't been there yet), if you want pastrami sandwiches. And of course, one of my favorites, the Original Pantry Cafe, especially on Tues. & Sat., when they have Country Fried Steak. :wub:

If you have more questions, let us know.

Can you please expand some more on Thai Town. I have been many places with Chinatown and Little Italy, and Korea Town, but NEVER a Thai Town.

I am a HUGE fan of Thai and would like to know a bit more if you have the info to offer on it or any of the restaurants in that area. What is that section of town like in general?

TheDuke,

Welcome to eGullet California forum!

Truth be told, I've never eaten in Thai Town either, and I live close by there. A fellow eGer was telling me about several places in that area but I forgot them all. Perhaps I can get him to list a few restaurants in Thai Town:

FoodZealot ... HELP! I hope this helps ...

If all else fails, just do a little culinary research of Thai Town.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I'm not an expert on Thai Town, but I have tried many of the places in the area. Thai Town is roughly bordered by Hollywood Blvd and Sunset, and 101 and Normandie.

LA Thai Restaurant Tasting Tour is a thread with a bunch of good info.

There's quite a variety of Thai restaurants in the area, but mostly the central and Northern styles. Not much Isaan (NE) - maybe a dish or two here and there. Some of my favorites are (all IMHO):

Ruen Pair - very casual, funky decor. Inexpensive, but cash only. Robust and not so Americanized flavors. Good somtom salad.

Jitlada - nicer dining room, solid food. Get the prawns flambe

Sanamluang Cafe - open late, really casual. Duck salad is exceptional. Pork leg over rice with a fried egg is excellent drunk food.

Sunshine Thai - the clientele is significantly Latino, but if you show interest in more representatively Thai food, they do a very nice job

Yai - sorta hidden by the 7-11, but quite decent

Palms Thai - the safe bet, but still pretty good

There are others that are good for certain dishes, such as Ban Phai, Nadpob, Hollywood Thai, and Siam Star.

If I was recommending one place for an out of towner, for a variety of dishes, I would generally say Ruen Pair, unless you were looking for something in particular. If you do go to Ruen Pair, stop in at Bankhanom Thai across the parking lot for some sweets.

Good luck!

~Tad