• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland Dine Around

The annual Portland Rose Parade happens to be on our anniversary this year, so of course we're going down there. It's not every year you get a giant parade to celebrate your anniversary. We'll be there 3 nights.

On my initial restaurant list for this trip are:

Park Kitchen

Higgins

Andina

Bewon

Pix

(and possibly Olea, because I have a little connection there, but I know the reviews are mixed at best)

My husband would probably like to see Apizza Scholls and Low's BBQ added to this list, and seeing that it's his anniversary too....

Comments? Suggestions? PM to join us?

Just a warning about Apizza Scholls; you must be ok with standing outside for thirty minutes or so just to get in--and the awning isn't that big so you might get rained on. The pizza is good though, I'm just not sure if it's worth the wait. Just one humble opinion!

I do hope you both have a wonderful time in Portland; the rain seems to be back for now, so it's not so Twilight Zone-ish here anymore! Happy Anniversary!

Eilen

I was in Portland two weeks ago and had a great dinner at Lucy's Table. Very pleasant space, excellent food, excellent service. Another restaurant I would have tried was 3 Doors Down. I stayed at the Hilton and Higgins was a block away, and looked very good.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

HIggins and Park Kitchen are both very good. Have you considered Wildwood or Paley's? We had an excellent lunch at Carlyle in Feb. I would like to try Fenouil next or possibly Lovely Hula Hands. I also really enjoyed the Bluehour in the Pearl District. Hurley's is also excellent! Wonderful Muscovie Duck Breast there and perfectly prepared creme brulle.

Too bad Gotham and clarklewis closed, they were also both very good with innovative menus. :)

Hi Abra

I haven't been to Andina, so I can't comment, but I've been to the rest on your list. Except when I get the pastrami sandwich at the bar I've always been under-wowed at Higgins (ate in the restaurant twice, the bar, which is a separate room, numerous times). I don't think it's a style-mismatch because my tastes tend to run in the simple prep showcasing what is in season direction. The one time I ate at Wildwood, I liked it much better, and think that clarklewis, when Morgan is in the kitchen, does consistently better also.

I like Park Kitchen for it's small plates. The bigger stuff doesn't seem as nice.

Bewon is dressed up, fancy, Korean. Not mom is cooking Korean. I happen to be a big fan of the mom-style food that I'd eat at places all over Chicago, so Bewon didn't work for me, but many people really like it, and you have to go another city to get the variety of banchan that they serve. A place that has pretty nice street style Thai food is Pok Pok, but only if you ask for it Thai style. Otherwise they're wussing it out for the American palate (and I can't really blame them). They have a smallish menu and only outdoor seating right now.

Pix is great fun. I recommend the Queen of Sheba cake paired with the choco habanero ice cream and the darkest Chimay beer. Inspired combo.

If you're a chocolate fan, you have to go to Sahagun and I'm not just saying that because I grow some of the herbs for the owner's creations. I bought her chocolate before I was her friend, and now that she has her own little shop, in addition to all of the chocolate candies (my favorites right now are the coco canela and the orange mint truffles) you can get some of the best and most potent hot chocolate ever (and chocolate sodas are on the way).

Have a good time.

trillium

Brunch at Simpatica is not to be missed! The most awesome breakfast I've ever had.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Too bad Gotham and clarklewis closed, they were also both very good with innovative menus.  :)

Unless it just happened, clarklewis didn't close. They just stopped serving lunch. Gotham Tavern and Ripe did close however.

And, I would recommend going to clarklewis. It was my favorite lunch spot in town with innovative salads and delicious house made pastas.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

Ok, brunch at Simpatica is going on the list for sure!

We've been to Wildwood, and liked it well enough, but not enough to do again. I have read mixed reviews about Higgins, but I was thinking that for a lunch, it would be good to try, since several people I know really like it.

I think we're trying not to get too dressed up and elegant, which is why some of the other well-known and high-zoot places aren't on the list for this trip. (plus ExtraMSG kind of pans some of them on his super-helpful compilation)

Will the whole city be mobbed because of the parade? Can anyone comment on Olea?

Edited by Abra (log)

Discussion on Olea

http://portlandfood.org/index.php?showtopic=417&hl=olea

I don't think there is much of anywhere in Portland where you really need to dress up unless you want to. And the only mobbed part of Portland is the parade route the day of the parade really.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Hello! Where you been? (Oh, yeah...Seattle.) Old news here.

http://www.portlandfoodanddrink.com/?p=517

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Thanks for the links, Pam! Has anyone been to Olea since November? Just because the guy I know here is a friend of the owner and promises they'll take "fabulous" care of us, I'm thinking of Olea for our actual anniversary dinner. I'd like to get that night right, though.

If you do a search on portlandfood.org there is more recent chatter but it's scattered in a number of topics and difficult to give links to all of them.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Olea can do a fabulous job. The problem is consistency. So if you're going to be taken care of...

Skip Higgins. I echo Trillium on this, except to add that I do like their charcuterie and pickles. If you didn't especially like Wildwood, I'd be really surprised if you like Higgins.

I don't really know what kind of food you like, but perhaps try Andina for lunch and stick to the bar/tapas menu. Order the stuffed yucca, the stuffed peppers, the ceviches, the causitas, and whatever catches your fancy.

LOW BBQ is only open on Tuesdays. Ken, the owner, and I are doing pastrami at the Hillsdale Farmers Market, however, on Sundays.

You might want to look at Carlyle for an upscale option. I'd probably do Park Kitchen, though, if you've already hit Wildwood before. They do interesting things with local ingredients.

I disagree with Trillium about Bewon. They're doing the same dishes that your average Korean joint makes. They're just making them well. Their panchan has a real freshness and there's a good variety. They're careful with their ingredients, but they're not making fusiony dishes.

You should visit the farmers markets, especially the Portland Farmers Market.

Ok, I'm bowing to the larger consensus - we'll skip Higgins. What we like is wham! pow! never had this before and it sure is interesting and full of flavor! type-food. I'm making my own charcuterie, so I probably wouldn't go anywhere just for that.

Ok, it's looking like Andina, Park Kitchen, Apizza Scholls, Simpatico, Pix, and probably Olea are on the list now. And the Saturday market for sure, if it's still on, even with the parade-foo. I'm so appreciating all the advice!

I'm not sure what market you mean, but if you mean the Portland Farmer's Market, then it will still be on with the parade (I'll admit I've never ever even paid attention to the parade and just try to avoid it's route when it goes on...the whole city doesn't close). I think you'd really enjoy the farmer's market, but if you have a low tolerance for crowds, strollers and dogs, go early.

I actually really enjoy the bar at Higgins. It's in a separate room, and there is no smoking. As you know, I do my own charcuterie too, so I'm picky. I like theirs better then Simpatica's. I hate to say this since they have so many fans and are really nice guys, but I haven't been all that impressed with Simpatica's stuff. I only when to the brunch when they did it at Pix, not since their move, so I have pondered trying again. If you make it to the brunch, please report back on how you like it.

If you haven't eaten a lot of Korean food, don't let me scare you away from Bewon. I think Nick has misinterpreted what I was trying to communicate, I don't think their food is fusion, but it is dressed up and more refined (ie more subtle seasoning) then what we prefer. We have several Korean friends and colleagues who cook for us (ok, their mums cook for us), and prefer a more home-style approach (more seasonal and greater variety of banchan, more garlic, more chillies, more sesame oil, more salted seafood, etc. etc). But it isn't a bad place.

If you find yourself in the far SE (and you probably wont!), do check out Bahn Mi Bakery next to Pacific Supermarket on 62nd (?) and Broadway. The best bahn mi ever, and I've tried all the Seattle favorites.

Oh, and if you get a chance, check out a New Seasons market too, just for fun. Kaffir limes aren't in season anymore, but you might find other interesting things, or just be jealous we have such a nice chain here in pdx.

Have a great time!

regards,

trillium

• 2 weeks later...

If you make it to the brunch, please report back on how you like it.

I arrived 15 min early at Simpatica last weekend to be sure there would be seating for our party of 3, and that was a good thing. The place filled up in no time. We tried biscuits and gravy, French toast with strawberry-rhubarb compote and creme fraiche topping and chicken and waffles. The latter mainly because it sounded like such an unusual combo, but it was all very tasty. The winner in our group was the biscuits and gravy. Nice, smooth gravy loaded with chunks of their sausage and bits of bacon over freshly baked, fluffy biscuits, it was a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. Everyone agreed that was THE dish to get. Prices range between $7-10. I will definitely go again.

There is a Brazilian Churrasceira (grilled meats + ) that was packed all the time I was in PDX this April. Open since January and achieved a lot of buzz among the people attending a conference I attended. I couldn't get in at all but a small group I knew did and said it was a terrific time with fabulous food. It's a little small they say.

Brazil Grill, 1201 S.W. 12th Ave.; 503-222-0002. Reservations are essential. A review from oregonlive.com here.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

John, we're going to Andina on our anniversary, so I'll eat (and drink) extra for you!

Cool! J & I walk by that place all the time when we're in PDX but have never tried it. When's you're anniversary Abra? We'll be down at the end of July for the Brewer's Festival, so I'll be counting on you for updating my list!

A.