• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seabra's Market

A&J Seabra's Supermarket

260 Lafayette St, Newark, NJ

(973) 589-8606

I can't beleive that we haven't had a dedicated thread for Seabra's until now. I guess its time we remedied that.

Seabra's is one of my favorite food shopping destinations in all of New Jersey. If you're looking foir Iberian and Brazilian foodstuffs of all kinds, this is THE place to go.

Seabra's is a full service supermarket, that happens to includes a Portuguese/Brazilian butcher and a Portuguese/Brazilian deli, in addition to a fish market. Plus its got all the cheeses and dried sausages and all the canned and jarred stuff you would expect in terms of Spanish, Portuguese and Brazilian cuisine. A&J Seabra, the import company that Seabra's runs, gets in a lot of exclusive items and is the master distrubutor for many of the brands of stuff you see used at Portuguese and Brazilian restaurants in the Ironbound. They also run several restaurants, including Seabra's Rodizio, Seabra's Marisqueria and Seabra's Mediterranean Manor, just to name a few.

gallery_2_2933_71127.jpg

Here's a big display for several flavors of Sumol, a Portuguese fruit soda brand and one of my favorites. The classic orange is the best, but the Passion Fruit and Pineapple are also very good.

gallery_2_2933_16810.jpg

Guarana Triunfo, a new sugar cane Guarana soda imported and distributed by Seabra. In Brazil, its marketed as the brand "Xereta", but the can art and everything you see was designed for the American market -- as you can see by the labelling, it says "Prohibited for sale in Brazil" because of the special packaging. I think the stuff is excellent, and I even prefer it to Antarctica, the most popular Brazilian Guarana, which they also sell. Seabra's also sells Guarana Brasilia, which is made locally in Newark. Diet Triunfo is apparently due to be imported soon as well.

gallery_2_2933_88720.jpg

gallery_2_2933_29115.jpg

The hard cheeses section.

gallery_2_2933_55184.jpg

Bacalao, dried salt cod. You can smell this stuff from over 10 feet away.

gallery_2_2933_16665.jpg

Olives

gallery_2_2933_26381.jpg

The price on the Portugese Presunto, similar to Prosciutto or Serrano, is very attractive.

gallery_2_2933_95958.jpg

The Tony Bourdain section.

gallery_2_2933_63377.jpg

Some nice prices on beef cuts here.

gallery_2_2933_81522.jpg

You can get freshly made Brazilian Linguica sausage as well as some nice cuts of lamb and pork.

gallery_2_2933_17634.jpg

Need large amounts of cured ham or chourico sausage? No Problem.

gallery_2_2933_69459.jpg

Chourico

gallery_2_2933_55364.jpg

Even MORE kinds of chourico, and this is only a small sampling.

gallery_2_2933_30576.jpg

Good deals on beef primals.

gallery_2_2933_56710.jpg

Mmmmm. Cracklins. The ultimate bar snack.

gallery_2_2933_37203.jpg

Extreme Chourico Closeup.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

jpr, what bothered you exactly? The smell of the balalao? As I understand its perfectly okay to keep that stuff out in the open, but it does stink a bit.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

jpr, what bothered you exactly? The smell of the balalao? As I understand its perfectly okay to keep that stuff out in the open, but it does stink a bit.

it was the cases where the meats were displayed-

i did buy olives-and some bottled/canned goods.

joanne r. aka jpr54_

I AM NOT CULTURALLY PREDJUDICED!!!!!!!!!

I have a masters degree in public health and a b.a in home economics

I shop every week at han ah reum in ridgefield every week and have no hesitation on buying anything in the market.

I shop in Jersey City-Indian market as well-

When I see a market which is not up to standard I will not purchase food, etc. there

joanne r. aka jpr54_

I hate being bumped by old Portugeuse ladies with their carts in Seabras.

I'd also have to agree with jpr54_ here. The word "sanitary" doesn't come to mind when I visit their fish or meat department. That dried baccala does make my stomach turn very easily but it's not that it's the warm to tepid fish floating in styrofoam containers that raise my eyebrows. My girlfriend is Azorean-Portugeuse and comes from Ironbound. She won't shop there at all.

They have decent stuff but if I am going to buy fish in Ironbound I wouldn't go to Seabras, I'd go to Popular Market on Ferry St. where the turnover of fish is huge.

Regardless, Ironbound to me is not worth the effort or inconvenience to drive to in order to go to the market. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much traffic nowadays.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I have a masters degree in public health and a b.a in home economics

I shop every week at han ah reum in ridgefield every week and have no hesitation on buying anything in the market.

When I see a market which is not up to standard I will not purchase food, etc. there

Couple questions.

What was it about the meat cases? Were they too warm?

Totally offtopic but I'm dying to ask someone with your education this: The olive bar at Wegman's, is it safe? One part of me thinks these are cured products that I shouldn't have to worry about. Another (very scared) part of me thinks of sneezes and fingers being used to grab olives. Even if people use the spoons provided they allways leave them laying on top of the olives which means to me that they may as well be picking them out with their fingers. Even scarier is the cart with all the Baba Ghanouj and Hommus dips those look like incubating trays to me. Am I paranoid or is there legitamate concern?

And finallly what's the name of the Indian market in JC?

I'd also have to agree with jpr54_ here.  The word "sanitary" doesn't come to mind when I visit their fish or meat department.  That dried baccala does make my stomach turn very easily but it's not that it's the warm to tepid fish floating in styrofoam containers that raise my eyebrows.  My girlfriend is Azorean-Portugeuse and comes from Ironbound.  She won't shop there at all.     

They have decent stuff but if I am going to buy fish in Ironbound  I wouldn't go to Seabras, I'd go to Popular Market on Ferry St. where the turnover of fish is huge.     

Regardless, Ironbound to me is not worth the effort or inconvenience to drive to in order to go to the market.  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much traffic nowadays.

Don't know about fish, but Seabra's is the place to go for pork. They raise their own pigs and never inject it with tenderizers like some supermarkets. Rich, try the one in Kearny on Schuyler Ave. if you don't want to go to Newark....same items, and I've never had an issue with the cleanliness.

The pork is amazing (particularly the fresh linguica sausage) and I've never had any kind of problem with beef I've bought there.

I don't go to Seabra's to buy fish. But Pork and Beef? Totally.

I'd also have to agree with jpr54_ here.  The word "sanitary" doesn't come to mind when I visit their fish or meat department.  That dried baccala does make my stomach turn very easily but it's not that it's the warm to tepid fish floating in styrofoam containers that raise my eyebrows.  My girlfriend is Azorean-Portugeuse and comes from Ironbound.  She won't shop there at all.     

They have decent stuff but if I am going to buy fish in Ironbound  I wouldn't go to Seabras, I'd go to Popular Market on Ferry St. where the turnover of fish is huge.     

Regardless, Ironbound to me is not worth the effort or inconvenience to drive to in order to go to the market.  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much traffic nowadays.

Don't know about fish, but Seabra's is the place to go for pork. They raise their own pigs and never inject it with tenderizers like some supermarkets. Rich, try the one in Kearny on Schuyler Ave. if you don't want to go to Newark....same items, and I've never had an issue with the cleanliness.

Been to the one on Schuyler and it is much better to me. That's were we shop for meats. You are correct on the pork situation there.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species