• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demo: Pan Coating Candy

mrose

I am looking into getting a candy coating pan. I would like to hear people's experiences with them & any tips you could give me in their usage. Thanks

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I am looking into getting a candy coating pan. I would like to hear people's experiences with them & any tips you could give me in their usage. Thanks

I have the french unit that goes on the front of the kitchen aid that I bought through Beryls and have been experimenting with it recently. I have also just picked up a used Stokes pan off e-bay. It is about 15 inches in diameter. I haven't started testing it out yet.

I took the panning course offered by the PMCA/NCA that was held in Madison, WI last fall. They taught us chocolate panning, sucrose panning, dextrose panning and panning with various sugarless products. My interest is mainly in chocolate panning.

To pan with chocolate you need to provide cool dry air while applying the chocolate or you can use some dry ice mixed in with the product to provide the cooling. After the product is coated to the required thickness you let it sit over night before polishing and sealing it. Polishing is done by adding small amounts of polish, then drying with cool dry air. Once the product is shiny you apply a food grade shellac in alchohol.

What are you hoping to do with a pan?

Madison is a great especially in the summer. I lived there for 25 years.

What is the PMCA/NCA & who offered the class? Can you give me more info on it? I am really interested in it.

The unit is the same one I plan to buy. I want it for chocolate panning to use with in the chocolate business.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Madison is a great especially in the summer.  I lived there for 25 years.

What is the PMCA/NCA  & who offered the class? Can you give me more info on it? I am really interested in it.

The unit is the same one I plan to buy. I want it for chocolate panning to use with in the chocolate business.

PMCA is the Pennsylvania Manufacturing Confectioners Association and NCA is the National Candy Association. The link to the courses offered this year is here. I don't know when they are going to offer the next panning course, but if you called them I'm sure they could tell you.

If you are getting the unit that fits on the kitchen aid, be aware that you need to have a mixer that turns at a slower speed. The kitchen aid HD (KG25G7X) model that is available in costco in Canada right now does have that slower speed. The 6 quart kitchen aid I have also turns at a slower speed but the coating pan falls out of it. I have tried it in a friends 6 quart and the same thing happened.

Where are you located?

I live in Michigan now, but I went to school at the U of Wisc.

I plan to use the panning device in a 6 qt Kitchenaid. Is the problem that you can't tighten the pan down enough?

I found the site last night. The classes are a bit expensive. Did you find them a value for the cost? Did you get your $$ worth?

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I live in Michigan now, but I went to school at the U of Wisc.

I plan to use the panning device in a 6 qt Kitchenaid. Is the problem that you can't tighten the pan down enough?

I found the site last night. The classes are a bit expensive. Did you find them a value for the cost? Did you get your $$ worth?

The problem is that the pan works it's way loose. The tightening of of screw when you put an attachment on the kitchen aid isn't what holds it in place, instead it's the taper on the shaft of the attachment. I spoke with debuyer in france and explained my problem. They apparently have changed the shaft to make it permanently attached to the base of the pan, but that may not change the shaft at all. The unit was made to fit on a european mixer, just happens to fit kitchen aid.

The classes are expensive, especially when you factor in travel. I took it for fun, I don't make my living making chocolate so I can't really comment on value for money. But I did learn a whole bunch of stuff that I wasn't able to find in books anywhere.

Where in Michigan are you? You could come to southern Ontario for a couple of days this summer and I'll show you what I know. You could bring your kitchen aid and see if it works with the unit.

Kerry

I live in Battle Creek, Southern Mich. Let me figure out what we have going this summer & talk to my wife. I would like to take you up on the offer.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Kerry

I live in Battle Creek, Southern Mich. Let me figure out what we have going this summer & talk to my wife. I would like to take you up on the offer.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Mark,

Nice website! I love the look of the logs. Great use of transfers.

Shouldn't be a lot of trouble to get here from Battle Creek. Just cross at Detroit, come down via London. There are lots of other things to do around here in the summer, for some reason visiting Niagara Falls (the bride's second great disappointment) is popular, checking out the CN tower. You could probably make a vacation out of it.

I'm away sailing in June, working up in Manitoulin the first two weeks of July, then I'm home for the rest of the summer.

PM me when you know if something works for you.

To pan with chocolate you need to provide cool dry air while applying the chocolate or you can use some dry ice mixed in with the product to provide the cooling.  After the product is coated to the required thickness you let it sit over night before polishing and sealing it.  Polishing is done by adding small amounts of polish, then drying with cool dry air.  Once the product is shiny you apply a food grade shellac in alchohol. 

I also have been thinking about buying a panner for a while, but probably won't for a bit. I did some research and found the lowest price for the 'KitchenAid' model (at the time), at this website:

http://pastrytools.finerkitchens.com/item1...ting-Maker.html

Kerry, can you describe the method you posted? Or, is this one of those "you've kind of got to see it to understand it sort of things?"

To pan with chocolate you need to provide cool dry air while applying the chocolate or you can use some dry ice mixed in with the product to provide the cooling.  After the product is coated to the required thickness you let it sit over night before polishing and sealing it.  Polishing is done by adding small amounts of polish, then drying with cool dry air.  Once the product is shiny you apply a food grade shellac in alchohol. 

I also have been thinking about buying a panner for a while, but probably won't for a bit. I did some research and found the lowest price for the 'KitchenAid' model (at the time), at this website:

http://pastrytools.finerkitchens.com/item1...ting-Maker.html

Kerry, can you describe the method you posted? Or, is this one of those "you've kind of got to see it to understand it sort of things?"

That is a good price. Especially with shipping included.

Describing the method is a bit of a challange. I always find things easier to see than to read about. Like tempering, couldn't figure it out reading about it, sounded too easy or too difficult depending what you read, saw it once, made total sense.

This size pan should be revolving about 25-30 RPM, faster throws it around and chips off the coating. Essentially you are heating the chocolate to 95 to 100 F, drizzling it over the cold product a bit at a time, checking constantly to see if it is coating evenly or getting bumpy, which will determine if it is too cold or warm. Cooling or letting friction heat it a bit if you are not happy with it. Once you have stuff coated a thickly as you want, you put it at room temp overnight. Next day (or more) you put it back in the pan, start it spinning add a very small amount of polish, blow cool air at it until dry, add half as much polish, more cool air, continue with smaller and smaller amounts until the product looks smooth and shiny. Then add a small aliquot of the shellac, let run for 5 minutes, then blow with cool air to evaporate the alchohol.

I have been considering a demo, but I'm not sure how well it will work with stills. You really need to get your hands in there, handle the product and feel the surface to know if you are ready for the next step. In the future I plan to make an education video about chocolate panning, and have been considering importing a batch of the coating pans to sell, but I don't think that will happen in the next 6 months, probably a winter project.

this is very interesting thread , I have been thinking of dragees making for a while , but ofcourse without a candy coating pan would be kinda hard :raz: .

I see Kerry you have said that the attachment for the kitchen aid that you have it doesnt fit properly, now my question is ,is the one that Whitetrufflegirl linked would have the same trouble ,or its made to fit a kitchen aid ?

Its a good investment so would like to be sure it work properly.I also have a friend thats very interested in this so I would like to know more so I can let her know.

Thank you as always for all your great input and advice and patience :raz: .

Vanessa

this is very interesting thread , I have been thinking of dragees making for a while , but ofcourse without a candy coating pan would be kinda hard  :raz: .

I see Kerry you have said that the attachment for the kitchen aid that you have it doesnt fit properly, now my question is ,is the one that Whitetrufflegirl linked would have the same trouble ,or its made to fit a kitchen aid ?

Its a good investment so would like to be sure it work properly.I also have a friend thats very interested in this so I would like to know more so I can let her know.

Thank you as always for all your great input and advice and patience  :raz: .

Vanessa,

It is the same unit that was shown. So in order to make sure it would fit and turn slow enough to make dragees you would have to have the Kitchen Aid Heavy Duty 5 quart mixer. You might be able to get away with the 6 quart but I'm not sure if it is just my dragadiere that doesn't fit properly or if all of them wouldn't. The 6 quart however will turn slowly enough.

Kerry

You said "This size pan should be revolving about 25-30 RPM, faster throws it around and chips off the coating. Essentially you are heating the chocolate to 95 to 100 F, drizzling it over the cold product a bit at a time"

How come you use chcolate at this temp & not chocolate that is tempered?

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Kerry

You said "This size pan should be revolving about 25-30 RPM, faster throws it around and chips off the coating. Essentially you are heating the chocolate to 95 to 100 F, drizzling it over the cold product a bit at a time"

How come you use chcolate at this temp & not chocolate that is tempered?

Mark

The chocolate doesn't require tempering. Makes it quick and easy.

• Like 1

Kerry

You also refer to adding polish, what exactly is this? Where do you get it & also aliquot of the shellac? I assume both of these substances are edible? I just got a panner & hope to have time this next week to try it.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I belive the next stage is using the arabic gum and I think they do a last stage with alchool but not sure how, still need to read better into the dragees making , the coating pan is attempting :rolleyes: .

Vanessa

Kerry

You also refer to adding polish, what exactly is this? Where do you get it & also  aliquot of the shellac? I assume both of these substances are edible? I just got a panner & hope to have time this next week to try it.

Mark

Mark,

The polish and shellac that I have are samples that I was sent after the PMCA last year. The company is centerchem and they make all sorts of confectionary products. Polish is one of a gum arabic solution or a non crystallizing dextrin and corn-syrup formulation. (I copied that from this site). Both the polish and shellac are food grade.

I'm not quite sure where you can get small quantities of these products, but a call to Centerchem at (203) 822- 9800 will tell you or they might send you samples. Just tell them what you want to do with it and they will likely send you the appropriate product. CK sells confectionary glaze which I think is the shellac. CK page 120.

Thanks Vanessa,

I just found the PDF for that CK site. It's great to see the picture. I actually have some of this stuff so I'll try to give it a try and report back in the next few days.

Kerry

Another alternative to the Kitchen Aid model are these from Union Confectionery Machinery www.unionmachinery.com/Product.asp?pid=7792

They have there own variable speed motor and work very well. I used the Kitchen Aid model at my last job and like these much more. They are a bit more expensive but I can produce a lot more with this one. They have three sizes (12", 16". 24"). I got the 16".

By the way....I have panned ganache. I cut with a guitar and pan them...they kind of round out then I hit them with cocoa powder to get truffles. Make sure temperatures of the chocolate and air are cool though or they stick.

Christopher

Kerry, do you suppose one could pan a ganache center?

Looks like Christopher has already answered this. I was going to say that the center would have to be relatively firm and not sticky and that looks like the answer.

I'm going to play with some espresso beans tonight. I'll post the details.

Those union machinary pans end up costing between $1025 and $3250 with motor as I recall, unribbed, about $250 more ribbed. I picked up a nice stokes pan on e-bay for $600, it's 15 inches I think. I haven't started playing with it yet, but I think I'm going to love it.

Exiting :biggrin: , cant wait to see the results.

This definatly opens up more variations for the selling market ,I will check on ebay, maybe later on this year I will buy one if I can sell enough chocolates meanwhile :raz: .

Vanessa

gallery_34671_2984_44840.jpg

So this is the setup I use for panning. It is a DeBuyer pan attached to a Kitchenaid HD mixer.

gallery_34671_2984_39145.jpg

This is the Stokes pan that I purchased on e-bay.

gallery_34671_2984_119833.jpg

I put 1/2 lb of espresso beans in the pan.

gallery_34671_2984_136089.jpg

I added about 10 pieces of dry ice, turned the mixer on to stir (the lowest speed) and let the pan turn for about 3 minutes.

gallery_34671_2984_116414.jpg

Notice that this pan turns counter clockwise, and if the speed is right the beans climb up to about 2 o'clock before falling back down. I drizzle in the chocolate very slowly for espresso beans, about 1 tbsp at a time. Coating almonds or larger objects allows you to add the chocolate much more quickly. The chocolate is at 35 to 37 degrees C (95-100 F).

gallery_34671_2984_105573.jpg

If the chocolate is added too quickly you get a lot of doubles. Break them up with your fingers and slow down the addition of chocolate.

gallery_34671_2984_30378.jpg

If you have too much dry ice and the chocolate cools too quickly you will get bumpy beans.

gallery_34671_2984_95784.jpg

To fix the bumpy beans, either remove some of the dry ice and allow the mass to warm up or leave the ice in and warm it a bit with some careful blasts with the heat gun.

gallery_34671_2984_83915.jpg

After heating, notice how much smoother the chocolate is.

gallery_34671_2984_57640.jpg

Scoop out the beans and let crystallize overnight at room temperature. Be careful to remove any bits of dry ice as condensation will form on it's surface and wet the chocolate.

Tomorrow the beans can be polished and sealed.