• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Showcasing Bacon

Chris Amirault

I have to add Shaya's saffron risotto with a bacon (or pancetta)-mushroom-endive garnish...totally delicious. I made some a few weeks ago and added peas to mine.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Bryan, you of all people ought to be curing your own bacon, man. Pick up a Niman Ranch pork belly (which can look like Kobe beef if you find the right one), cure it, roast it in your oven, and you'll be a happy clam. You'd probably have the gumption to figger how to smoke the damned thing in your dorm room to boot!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 years later...

When I make my own bacon I always end up with a fair bit of "trim" left over from slicing it. Does anyone have any good suggestions for what do do with it? I typically fry it up and add onions and garlic to flavor a big pot of beans, but I'd love some ideas for other things to do with these heavily-flavored end-bits.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

When I make my own bacon I always end up with a fair bit of "trim" left over from slicing it. Does anyone have any good suggestions for what do do with it? I typically fry it up and add onions and garlic to flavor a big pot of beans, but I'd love some ideas for other things to do with these heavily-flavored end-bits.

Definitely use them as crumbles for salads, eggs, potatoes, etc. the stronger flavor will provide a great accent.

I personally love a crispy bacon and peanut butter (crunchy) on toasted sourdough bread sandwich!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The following item was posted on another (non-food-related) forum and yet again I am reminded of how unfair it is that I cannot have chocolate.

Mo's Bacon Bar

I know there was some discussion of bacon mated with chocolate in one topic but I couldn't find it.

The item is described as an "exotic candy bar"

Has anyone tried it and if so, would it make a good gift for a person who is wild about bacon and chocolate?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The following item was posted on another (non-food-related) forum and yet again I am reminded of how unfair it is that I cannot have chocolate.

Mo's Bacon Bar

I know there was some discussion of bacon mated with chocolate in one topic but I couldn't find it.

The item is described as an "exotic candy bar" 

Has anyone tried it and if so, would it make a good gift for a person who is wild about bacon and chocolate?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

I've had it - it's pretty good. The bacon doesn't come across as very "bacony" though: more like little salty nuggets in the chocolate. There is a slight hint of bacon, but I think if you didn't know what it was that would not be your first guess. I just like the combination of salt and chocolate...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Bryan, you of all people ought to be curing your own bacon, man. Pick up a Niman Ranch pork belly (which can look like Kobe beef if you find the right one), cure it, roast it in your oven, and you'll be a happy clam. You'd probably have the gumption to figger how to smoke the damned thing in your dorm room to boot!

Agreed. I started curing my own bacon in college. Definitely doable.

Is there a thread devoted to making bacon? It will be my first time -- so I'm hoping for one with lots of pictures and instructions detailing what to do.

Thanks

Try the forum link below: "making bacon"

The taste of home made bacon is hard to describe but once tried, you'll never go back to shop bought.

Have fun :)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...115638&hl=bacon

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Bacon...is grand.

I love the chicken livers wrapped in bacon - my mother used to make these. I wrapped some sea scallops in bacon the other night. A good BLT - an awesome juicy tomato, some arugula and a homemade mayo.

I am particularly fond of apple, bleu cheese and bacon cheesecake and chocolate bacon blondies - who am I kidding chocolate and bacon...that's a winner for me already.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.