• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Showcasing Bacon

Chris Amirault

The last few batches of bacon that I've made have been extremely lean, and because I hot smoke them to 140 deg., they are fully cooked. My favorite way to eat it has been to wait until Thur. night, slice off a few pieces and eat them as-is while watching "My Name Is Earl"....

gallery_2_2758_72956.jpg

Here is an interesting variation -- deep fried poached egg, over pasta with a carbonara-like sauce, with thick cut pancetta. From Herbsaint in New Orleans.

Oh. My. God. Book my flight immediately.

Bacon and liverwurst sandwich. I like the bacon extra crispy for this one.

white rice, eggs, bacon, small amount of soysauce. (McCall's "Fried Rice" - quadruple the bacon. It aint fried rice, but its a nice way to eat bacon)

scrambled eggs with corn kernels, topped with bacon.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Raxelita: Danno's site is consistently one of my favorites... the man really knows how to cook.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

--Bacon as a burger topping--with swiss or cheddar cheese, sauteed onions, and mushrooms.

--Bacon added to pasta with white sauce--saute chopped onion and halved garlic cloves in butter over low heat, raise heat and add heavy cream and grated parmesan, bring to boil for one to two minutes until thickened. Add cooked pasta and bacon. Stir and serve. Other potential add-ins include asparagus, mushrooms, baked salmon, smoked salmon, peas.

--Bacon as a pizza topping.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

I know it's a bit off topic, but I'm sure chrisamirault wants to know as much as I do - Dave W., please tell us how you did the szechuan pepper/lapsang souchong bacon. I'm just about to make more bacon, and that sounds so good.

I know it's a bit off topic, but I'm sure chrisamirault wants to know as much as I do - Dave W., please tell us how you did the szechuan pepper/lapsang souchong bacon.  I'm just about to make more bacon, and that sounds so good.

Ingredients

1.25 lbs Pork belly, skin on

1.5 TBS Basic cure (Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing )

1 TBS Sichuan Peppercorns

1 TBS Lapsang Souchong tea leaves

Instructions

Prepare the pork belly as normal with the cure mix (as per the cookbook referenced above). Cover the meat side evenly with the peppercorns and tea leaves, and then cure for one week as normal.

--Dave

Is there a thread devoted to making bacon? It will be my first time -- so I'm hoping for one with lots of pictures and instructions detailing what to do.

Thanks

This thread may be useful. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I mentioned this topic to my family the other night at dinner. Peter, age 10, remarked "Mom, probably the best way is just to sit down with a plate of bacon and eat it all." He's a smart young man.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Cobb salad

Several strips placed lengthwise on meatloaf--bacon basted meatloaf, mmmm. Fry up some extra slices for those meatloaf sandwiches

Hangtown Fry, my way. Original recipes calls for the bacon and fried oysters to be folded into the eggs for an omelette but I prefer the fried oysters and crumbled bacon on top: buttery scrambled eggs, crumbled crispy bacon, fried oysters with a couple of slices of buttered sourdough toast, yum :smile:

Bacon/Horseradish/Browned Onion dip -- Equal parts mayo/sour cream/buttermilk, lemon juice, tabasco, bit of worcestershire (optional--just a few drops or to taste), prepared non-creamy horseradish, carmelized diced onions, finely crumbled bacon, salt and pepper to taste. Mix the first three ingredients thoroughly, then add the rest. Let mellow in the refrigerator a couple of hours or overnight. You could dip your flip flops in this and they would taste good! :wub: Of course if you were to accidentally spill a handful or two of crumbled blue cheese into this, it sure wouldn't hurt.

Edited to add more calories. :rolleyes:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I wanna do something with bacon wrapped bananas.. Think i would have to freeze the banana before wrapping in bacon and frying? Maybe dip the bananas into toffee afterward, then maybe dip into chocolate after that..

Or do a banana bacon bread pudding.. Top with pecans and bacon in a bourbon sugar sauce.. And a caramel sauce drizzled around for posterity..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I wanna do something with bacon wrapped bananas.. Think i would have to freeze the banana before wrapping in bacon and frying? Maybe dip the bananas into toffee afterward, then maybe dip into chocolate after that..

Or do a banana bacon bread pudding.. Top with pecans and bacon in a bourbon sugar sauce.. And a caramel sauce drizzled around for posterity..

Hey Daniel how about a bananas/bacon foster? It already has many of the elements you want--bananas, liquor, caramel sauce and pecans. If anyone can figure out how to pull that off, I'll bet you can. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

• 1 month later...

Here's my favorite ...

Shrimp seasoned with a little salt and smoked paprika, wrapped in maple bacon, sauteed quickly over high heat, and then with the left of pan drippings, I make a sauce by deglazing with some congnac .... You know what, I think thats what I'm gonna make for dinner now.

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

Crisp Bacon, fresh lettuce, cheese and mayo sandwiches... the orange shrinkwrapped kraft pastuerized process cheese style food kind of cheese. It salty, crispy crunchy and mushy all at the same time.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty. If your cup is full may it be again.

-- Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Flammkuchen. An Alsatian dish, essentially pizza dough with crème fraîche, cubes of bacon, and slices of onion.

Ditto on the bacon-wrapped oysters. Lovely with a seafood spaghetti.

Also: wrapping roasts (beef, chicken, turkey). Putting the bacon on top of the roast lets the fat drip down the meat, basting it mid cooking. The bacon is sometimes too cooked to serve, so -- chef's treat!

• 1 month later...

Made a bacon-friendly meal last night with a BLT bread salad (cubed toasted bread, cubed tomatoes, and my own bacon, with a bit of drizzled salt, pepper and smoked paprika olive oil, in a boston lettuce cup) and mac n cheese (baked with gruyere, cheddar, and parm reg cheeses, shiitake mushrooms a mornay sauce, and a bacon and bread crumb topping). We didn't have room for the frisee avec lardons salad, so that's dinner tonight.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts