• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Restaurants

renyoj

tommy, for 'que, consider luling city, in addition to goode and otto's.

and tommy, be a man and get you some grips [that's "slang" for cowboy boots, yo]

i was there and now i'm back. but i'm going again in 3 weeks. i shall take your recs under advisement. :wacko:

who wants to meet me? you lucky devils. :wink:

actually, i probably won't make it into houston proper, whatever that means.

For what it is worth, my wife ended up going to Cafe Annie.  She says she had a great meal and that it was a neat place.  Thumbs up.  Thx for the tips.

Cool.

My theory on going to the current "in" place in a city is that it's kinda like seeing the other famous sights in town.

Cafe Anne currently does have the name. So for me, I like to go to such places so that, if nothing else, I can at least join into the discourse as to whether or not it's "worth it."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

who wants to meet me?  you lucky devils.  :wink:

actually, i probably won't make it into houston proper, whatever that means.

It's certainly more pleasant down in these parts this time of year.

So, where in the Houston area will you be (north, south, etc.)???? And for about how long might you be here (three days, one week)???

Long enough to drive a bit???

Like to the BBQ Temple of the Known World???

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

To Lockhart. But, if you're only going to be there a "few days" it probably wouldn't be worth it. It'd take several hours each way. If you were going to be in The Woodlands for a week, say, you might look forward to a day-trip excursion.

To Lockhart.  But, if you're only going to be there a "few days" it probably wouldn't be worth it.  It'd take several hours each way.  If you were going to be in The Woodlands for a week, say, you might look forward to a day-trip excursion.

yeah, no.

now that's a weird expression, inn't?

tommy, I mentioned this on Italy but just in case you weren't reading, the current issue of Wallpaper* has an article and a plasticized map of Houston, as well as pieces about Fort Worth and tons of pages about Italy.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Elgin, TX is not a bad drive from the woodlands (under 1.5 hours) and they have the best sausage in Texas. The two BBQ famous places that have great sausage, Myers and Southside are right on 290, one of the major east-west highways out of Houston. It is also close enough to Austin that I am sure several of us would make it.

Another thought-Round Top Cafe, about 45 minutes west of Houston and close enough to Autin to maybe attract a few of us. Royers round top cafe

Edited by NewYorkTexan (log)

Another thought-Round Top Cafe, about 45 minutes west of Houston and close enough to Autin to maybe attract a few of us. Royers round top cafe

Yeah, Round Top is fun. The Cafe is good, and touring the concert hall is worth a few extra minutes.

I'd be interested in that.

And, if tommy can make it to Elgin, what say he drives the additional couple miles and makes it on into the Live Music Capital of the World? :biggrin:

Is Round Top really that good? I pass it every holiday on my way to La Grange. I have their cookbook and everything seems to be southern traditionals. Is it simply very well executed? Is it a fixed menu?

Rice pie is nice.

To Lockhart.  But, if you're only going to be there a "few days" it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Girl, quit sending folks out this way....soon we'll start takin' on airs, mowing the grass beneath the hoopty parked on the lawn, etcetera, etcetera.

And L'hart is not worth it. Take a big half-day if you jes have to have smoked meat & follow your nose to the church in H'ville. Natives don't make the mistake of telling you that from the square, though, on account of some days you could wind up at the Green Mile Motel, get me?

any other suggestions?  for food in general?  nothing too expensive, but rather good eats.

The Woodlands is an upscale planned community north of Houston. For one thing, it is home to a lot of pilots because of its proximity to IAH.

It's only a short drive up I45 from The Woodlands to Huntsville, and the New Zion Missionary Baptist Church & Barbecue. Haven't been there in a while, but used to stop frequently when traveling from Dallas to Houston. Great eats.... homemade potato salad....do not miss the Sweet Potato Pie. They used to be open Wednesday-Saturdays for barbeque, and Sundays only for saving your soul! If your hosts are up for it, 409-295-7394.

Good call, Jess. As a matter of fact, I suggested that very thing to Tommy during his LAST Texas trip. But he didn't do it for some reason, so thought I'd try something else this go 'round.

Is Round Top really that good?  I pass it every holiday on my way to La Grange.  I have their cookbook and everything seems to be southern traditionals.  Is it simply very well executed?  Is it a fixed menu?

Hummmm. If you pass it on your way TO La Grange, you must be coming from the South, right?

Yes, I think Round Top Cafe is very good. Plus, it's one of those atmospheric little spots that are a hoot to visit anyway.

If you're in La Grange often, you must be familiar with that great place for sandwiches, etc., the name escapes me, right on the highway, next door to what used to be the Bon Ton, owned by the same people (I think), etc.

What is the name of that place???? :unsure:

Now THERE'S something to recommend to folks just passin' through.

Jaymes, ya got me! Actually, the last two times I've gone to La Grange, I've first gone to Brenham. No, we travel from Dallas. I'll be in La Grange next weekend in fact and will get the name of that sandwich joint. Never heard of it but we used to spend holidays in Smithville, so I've only been to La Grange about a half a dozen times. However, all of my wife's family is from the area (and oddly enough still there...in the same houses for over 50 years) so they will be more up on local restaurant lore than I. If ever in Smithville, though, Zimmerhanzel's BBQ, spelling most likely butchered, is one hell of a time warp and a good one.

Rice pie is nice.

• 5 months later...

Our second marriage anniversary is on the 26th and we are debating whether to go to "Mark's" or to "Simposio" which is a very good Italian retsaurant from what I've heard. I guess it has been established that "Mark's" is a winner but what about "Simposio"? Has any e-gulleteers tried it? I tried the CitySearch stuff but I simply do not trust that site's reviews. Any help in deciding is appreciated.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Elgin, TX is not a bad drive from the woodlands (under 1.5 hours) and they have the best sausage in Texas.  The two BBQ famous places that have great sausage, Myers and Southside are right on 290, one of the major east-west highways out of Houston.

Oh, yeah, Myer's in Elgin is well worth the commute. Amazing sausage. They sell it mail-order too. And it has the proximity to Austin going for it, always a worthwhile day-trip.

Two months ago I drove from South Carolina to San Francisco in a 25 year old Porsche (long story), and let myself become distracted over a number of food & art related diversions. Hunting for boudin in southern Lousiana, Myer's in Elgin, and the best chicken-fried steak I've ever eaten, at a hole-in-the-wall truck stop just outside of Van Horn (discovered on a road-trip a couple of years back, when I found that they also have the best huevos rancheros on the face of the planet). That's only about 11 hours west of you... hit Austin and just keep driving.

So, where in the Houston area will you be (north, south, etc.)???? And for about how long might you be here (three days, one week)???

Long enough to drive a bit???

Like to the BBQ Temple of the Known World???

Jaymes, pay attention. He's going to be in The Woodlands.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we did end up going to Mark's for our anniversary this past Saturday. It was a fantastic experience both the food and the service were superb. Kudos to chef Cox and his staff. The only semi-negative comment that I have is that the dinning room was louder that expected for a place like that. However we will defenitly be back. Following is the menu we had:

- Lobster salad. Garlic and herb roasted lobster tail, served with a variety of citrus, shaved mangoes, and lightly dressed greens.

- Texas Diamond H Cross Quail and Foie Gras Over ginger-spiked butternut squash, accented with a huckleberry vinaigrette.

- Spring corn soufflé served with lobster and crawfish, oyster mushrooms and Avruga caviar in a shallot Chardonnay sauce.

-Roasted Escolar over fork mashed lobster potatoes, asparagus and crispy sesame shrimp in a Cabernet Sauvignon sauce.

- Roasted Maple Leaf duck, served with wild rice, pearl pasta, roasted figs, raspberries and mangoes.

-Dessert:

Chocolate Mousse layered Crème Brulee

Chocolate Hazelnut Tort with roasted hazelnuts and white chocolate Sabayon.

Wine: A red Pinot – Domain Vincent Gerardin, 1999 “Les Gravieres”. I had to drink most of the bottle myself since my wife is pregnant and cannot participate in this pleasure . Thanks to the laws of Texas we took the re-corked bottle home with us and I enjoyed the leftovers the next day.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 years later...

Topping this because I'm planning a trip to Houston - and am wondering what the top restaurants are there now. Usually when I go to Texas, it's at Christmas, and most meals are at family homes, parties, etc. Since I'll be there in May, hoping to hit some good spots.

planned stops are

Cafe Annie

Thai Sticks

Simposio

It's practically a family requirement to go to the Ninfa's on Navigation and Goodes. My grandfather used to take me to Otto's before he died, but I don't have a clear memory of what the BBQ was like.

I'll have access to a car, but probably within the loop is best.

Thanks for any advice!

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Thanks for the reply -

Why do you say that about Cafe Annie? I'm thinking we will end up going there, because it's where my dad wants to go for his birthday, but I'm intrigued to hear why you think it's not at the top.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway