• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Restaurants

renyoj

Thanks for the reply -

Why do you say that about Cafe Annie?  I'm thinking we will end up going there, because it's where my dad wants to go for his birthday, but I'm intrigued to hear why you think it's not at the top.

It's not a bad restaurant but the food is a little boring and stagnant. For the money any other one listed here is preferable like Mark's, Noe, Bistro Moderne or the new Tony's.

If you are a little more adventurous check out "Laidback Manor" for Avant Guard cuisine and report back.

For excellent Thai, Vieng Thai is not to be topped. There is a thread bout it here. Check it out.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks for the reply -

Why do you say that about Cafe Annie?  I'm thinking we will end up going there, because it's where my dad wants to go for his birthday, but I'm intrigued to hear why you think it's not at the top.

It's not a bad restaurant but the food is a little boring and stagnant. For the money any other one listed here is preferable like Mark's, Noe, Bistro Moderne or the new Tony's.

If you are a little more adventurous check out "Laidback Manor" for Avant Guard cuisine and report back.

For excellent Thai, Vieng Thai is not to be topped. There is a thread bout it here. Check it out.

Wow, you got the "quotation marks" right and everything.

I've never been to Vieng Thai so I can't comment, but Nit Noi on Woodway is probably my favorite Thai spot in the city. I'd suggest going to Vietnamese before Thai in Houston, though, since we have such a large Vietnamese population. Tay Do in the Hong Kong 4 complex on Bellaire and Boone would be a good place for the family.

Yes throw in De Marco for sure!

I have always left Cafe Annie dissapointed. It isn't bad it just isn't great. Obviously I don't think it makes the top 5 restaurant list in Houston. But if pops wants to go there then my guess is he will be dissapointed if you don't go.

As for Thai, Vieng Thai is very good. I personally wouldn't go to nit noi but they are successful so...Thai Corner on Bellaire is also very good thai and the soups at Kanamwan shine even if the place is way overpriced.

Tampico is a great place to take family for great grilled snapper. ASit upstairs in the dining room or on the patio upstairs. Its a great place.

Thanks for the reply -

I think it is a great place. The menu doesn't change that much--what they do they do well. Marks is better than DaMarco. You can't miss with Simposios. Cafe Montrose does a great lunch.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.