• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Restaurants

renyoj

MARKS AMERICAN CUISINE on 1658 Westheimer. It's located just a few minutes southwest of downtown houston.

I would rate this as one of the best 3 dinners I have ever had. The chef Mark Cox is very inovative without too many odd pariings. Absolutely fabulous salads and desserts. They have a web page but I can't seem to locate it right now.

It's fairly expensive but well worth it. Portions are large, but then again, it is Texas were talking about. Always crowded, call way in advance.

Also, TASCA is a great little wine bar/Tappa joint in downtown. Moderately priced wine glasses and dishes.

I had forgotten about Mark's. I have been meaning to try it, so thanks for jogging my memory. Tasca is quite good, but I was looking for a splurge. I had thought about Quottro or Aries. Any thought on these places?

I haven't tried either of those. I'm working in Baton Rouge and only get to stop in houston on business trips.

If you get a reservation at Mark's ask for a upstairs table. They have a great little mezzanine section overlooking the rest of the restaurant.

I had forgotten about Mark's. I have been meaning to try it, so thanks for jogging my memory. Tasca is quite good, but I was looking for a splurge. I had thought about Quottro or Aries. Any thought on these places?

Cafe Annie has an international reputation, I'd say the loftiest in Houston, and is certainly "splurge-worthy." You should check into it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yes, Boulevard Bistro is still around and one of my favorite restaurants. I usually eat there at least once a month. They have a great Sunday brunch. I guess I should go to Cafe Annie, but from what I've heard from others it's a bit pretentious. Since there are two votes, maybe that's where we'll go. Thanks for all the input.

I would second Mark’s, a really nice restaurant. I always order the quail and froie gras appetizer, it is wonderful.

Not sure what it is about Café Annie, but it does not do it for me. Their menu is closer to southwest comfort food than exciting dishes that you will not find elsewhere. I have never had a bad meal there, but I do not find myself really excited about going back.

I have been to Aries twice with mixed results. Once I had a wonderful meal, the second time the meal was ok. The fish entrée was overcooked served with an extremely bland sauce.

Adding to the list is Aldo's Dining Con Amore. It is one of those restaurants where after a business meal with clients, you cannot wait to go back with your wife and friends. The menu is extensive with traditional northern Italian to some very interest wild game dishes. Aldo’s has an intimate ambiance that is very appropriate for a special night out.

David, what you said about Cafe Annie summed up my vibe. Of my friends that really like it, they never describe dishes that I would categorize as exciting. If I'm not excited about a restaurant from reading the menu, then I don't really feel like it's worth my time and money when there are other excellent restaurants out there that do excite me. Thanks for your input. Aldo's sounds excellent as well.

Italian--any of the Vallone family outposts, like Tony's or Grotto, but Grotto has better food and not such a cozy romantic atmosphere, so maybe not.

Chinese--Empress of China is renowned for haute cuisine and prices to match, but still very good after the initial critical buzz

Cafe Annie is an obvious safe bet, but take my advice and think about River Oaks Grill: They had a chef change about a year ago, so the food is even better than I remembered, and the service there is wonderful without being overbearing or ingratiating. I had quail and my esposo had the cowboy steak, and after lots of wine it was just a short stumble back to our hotel suite. Really, they treat you like Bogey and Bacall there.

The weather here hasn't been that bad lately, but it's always better if you're indoors. Brendan's on Westheimer, near the beltway has good BBQ and is pretty cheap. They Barbeque without sauce, which I love, although I know some don't care for. They have great sausage and baked potatoes, too.

Maybe I am just not used to the humidity yet, but when in Houston be prepared to sweat.

I like Otto’s on Dairy Ashford. A simple unpretentious place that serves very good q.

Goode Company BBQ on Kirby lane is also pretty good (pun intended). Not as consistent as Otto’s, but quite tasty. Goode has several places on that block, Goode Hamburgers, Goode Seafood and maybe one more place. All of the restaurants are casual and very good (once again, pun intended).

i'll be in houston in a few weeks.  i can image that it's lovely there this time of year.  :wacko:  anyway, are there any notable places for "BBQ"?  or do i need to travel east for that.

thanks for any help.

East? EAST?

No, Tommy.... Not east.

You can find pretty good barbecue in Houston and environs, but for the very best Texas has to offer, you should hop into your rental car, slap on your shades, and point yourself toward the sunset. Head WEST, Young Man.

Lockhart (and Kreuz Market) is about two hours or so from Houston, depending on where in Houston you are.

Or you could make a day of it and hit Taylor and Llano and a few joints in Austin as well.

In addition, there's a fine cadre of Austin eGulleteers who would be happy to show you around!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'll ditto Goode & Company. I've eaten there everytime I've been to Houston in the last three or four years. The jalapeno bread is nice, and the Czech sausage has a nice touch of sweetness. As stated it's on Kirby Drive, right near US 59.

East?  EAST?

No, Tommy....  Not east.  

yeah yeah. east like the other southern states, but closer to the atlantic, or whatever ocean is thataway.

So, you were just kidding when you asked where during your visit to Texas you could get the best barbecue, right? You didn't really want to know at all, right?

So, you were just kidding when you asked where during your visit to Texas you could get the best barbecue, right?  You didn't really want to know at all, right?

now i'm *really* confused. :blink:

any other suggestions? for food in general? nothing too expensive, but rather good eats.

So, you were just kidding when you asked where during your visit to Texas you could get the best barbecue, right?  You didn't really want to know at all, right?

now i'm *really* confused. :blink:

any other suggestions? for food in general? nothing too expensive, but rather good eats.

I was referring to the fact that in response to your question about the best barbecue (wherein you asked if you had to "go east for that"), I had said that....no, for the best barbecue in Texas, you have to go west.

To which you responded that you did mean east...east as in other southern states, east toward the Atlantic, etc., etc....

So, I thought, well....he must not be really interested in any new info at all...he seems to have already made his mind up.

The Woodlands is an upscale planned community north of Houston. For one thing, it is home to a lot of pilots because of its proximity to IAH.

There are many very good restaurants in Houston.... for barbecue, two of the best have been mentioned here....Goode's and Otto's.

But, I repeat.... if you'd like to sample some of the very BEST barbecue in Texas, and therefore the world, you must head west... I'd suggest Lockhart and Kreuz Market. It would be a revelation to you.

EDIT: Had a thought.... It's only a short drive up I45 from The Woodlands to Huntsville, and the New Zion Missionary Baptist Church & Barbecue. Haven't been there in a while, but used to stop frequently when traveling from Dallas to Houston. Great eats.... homemade potato salad....do not miss the Sweet Potato Pie. They used to be open Wednesday-Saturdays for barbeque, and Sundays only for saving your soul! If your hosts are up for it, 409-295-7394. Might call ahead to be sure it's still there.

Also, Conroe is close to The Woodlands.... both McKenzie's and Luther's have branches there (or did).

And these are good. But, not so good as Kreuz's & Coopers, IMHO.

PS- How long are you going to be in town??

• 3 months later...

So, my wife just called. She is in Houston tonight. I have read the Houston threads. She is not on a budget (never is it seems). Where should she eat? Annies? Hugos? Somewhere else? Any last minute thoughts would be great. Thx

i'll be in a place called "the woodlands", in or around houston.  if that helps any.  :blink:

I was just reading that the best Tex Mex is at Original Ninfa's on Navigation Blvd. in Houston. Haven't been but hope you can satisfy my curiousity.

edited to add: Just did a Yellow Pages search. The Houston branch may no longer be in biz, but there's a Mama Ninfa's in Beaumont, TX.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

i'll be in a place called "the woodlands", in or around houston.  if that helps any.  :blink:

I was just reading that the best Tex Mex is at Original Ninfa's on Navigation Blvd. in Houston. Haven't been but hope you can satisfy my curiousity.

Original Ninfa's has been batted around considerably in several of the various Houston threads. I think the final consensus is that Mama Ninfa was unceremoniously disconnected with all of the Ninfa's a short time back, and since then, the restaurants have descended into the morass of "dammed adequate" mediocrity so common in franchises.

If you peruse the four or five or so Houston threads, there are several other options which eGulleteers deem to be better choices.