• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Jersey's Best Bagels

Cook456

In another thread, I mentioned a place in Wayne on Hamburg Turnpike that makes bagels the old fashioned way, hand rolled..not made by a machine.

They are, what I consider what a bagel SHOULD taste like..not big and bready, like you see in all the bagel shops, nowadays.

What's your favorite place?

I have 2 I've loved (and love) over the years... Livingston Bagel (if it's still there?) on Northfield Ave in Livingston is #1 in my book and up where I live now The Bagel shop (Rons? I forget the name) across from the RR tracks in Montvale on RR Ave 1/4 block from Grand Ave (off exit 171/172?) in Montvale is super! The size of the bagel is big and delicious and filled with nice flavors on the non-plain ones! I hear their coffee is good too but I don't "do" coffee.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

My personal favorite is Bagelicious in Ridgewood on Broad St....

But I do know the owner.

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Having lived in Fair Lawn, Ridgewood, and Waldwick over the years, I've been to quite a few places around Bergen County. As a kid growing up in Fair Lawn, my father got bagels from Hot Bagels on Saddle River Road almost every Sunday. When my parents moved to Florida and I moved to Ridgewood and eventually to Waldwick, I tried a whole bunch of different places. There were some good places, but nothing like those Sunday morning bagels from my childhood. Now that I'm back in Fair Lawn, I can say, without a doubt, that Hot Bagels has all of the other places beat by a mile. The place has been there forever, and it's not much to look at. But they make the best bagels, period. There's a Hot Bagels in Waldwick too, and at one point in time they may have been affiliated with the Fair Lawn location. The store looks a lot nicer than the Fair Lawn one, and the bagels are good, but they're nothing like the Fair Lawn bagels.

BTW, let's be grateful for all the good bagel places around here. Bagels in most other parts of the country are truly horrible. (Try to get a decent bagel anywhere in Florida!)

Having lived in Fair Lawn, Ridgewood, and Waldwick over the years, I've been to quite a few places around Bergen County. As a kid growing up in Fair Lawn, my father got bagels from Hot Bagels on Saddle River Road almost every Sunday. When my parents moved to Florida and I moved to Ridgewood and eventually to Waldwick, I tried a whole bunch of different places. There were some good places, but nothing like those Sunday morning bagels from my childhood. Now that I'm back in Fair Lawn, I can say, without a doubt, that Hot Bagels has all of the other places beat by a mile.  The place has been there forever, and it's not much to look at. But they make the best bagels, period. There's a Hot Bagels in Waldwick too, and at one point in time they may have been affiliated with the Fair Lawn location. The store looks a lot nicer than the Fair Lawn one, and the bagels are good, but they're nothing like the Fair Lawn bagels.

BTW, let's be grateful for all the good bagel places around here. Bagels in most other parts of the country are truly horrible. (Try to get a decent bagel anywhere in Florida!)

You are so right!!! Let's be thankful..

Edited by Cook456 (log)

The bagels at Sonny Amster's Bakery in the Millburn mall:

gallery_2_0_70598.jpg

These are the famous "Watson" bagels that were once made near Newark many years ago.

http://www.virtualnewarknj.com/memories/we...bodianbagel.htm

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The bagels at Sonny Amster's Bakery in the Millburn mall

. . .

These are the famous "Watson" bagels that were once made near Newark many years ago.http://www.virtualnewarknj.com/memories/we...bodianbagel.htm

Same goes for Elmora Bagels on Elmora Avenue in Elizabeth. Alas, they have stopped making bialys.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Super Duper Bagels in Livingston. :wub: Teeny, tiny place, somewhat cranky owner, fantastic, hand-rolled bagels. It's been there for 15+ years...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Super Duper Bagels in Livingston.  :wub:  Teeny, tiny place, somewhat cranky owner, fantastic, hand-rolled bagels.  It's been there for 15+ years...

What's the address?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Livingston bagel is still there and has just recently gone thru an exspansion that doubled them in size. Still good!

Super Duper bagel is right across from the Shoprite in the little strip mall fronted by Rita's Ice. They are orthodox and closed on Saturday's. Also FYI, Mooshavi, the kosher restaurant in the same area appears to have closed it's doors, there's a 'for lease' sign in the window. Never been myself, but they seemed to have a loyal following?

Edited by Kear (log)

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

Super Duper Bagels in Livingston.   :wub:  Teeny, tiny place, somewhat cranky owner, fantastic, hand-rolled bagels.  It's been there for 15+ years...

What's the address?

The description above is correct; it's a small strip that sits perpendicular to Livingston Avenue, just about across from the Shop-Rite, almost to the intersection of Northfield Ave. There's a big free-standing dry cleaners in the parking lot as well. If that info doesn't help you find it, nothing will! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I join in on the vote for Super Duper Bagels in Livingston.

The strip mall in which it is located is fronted by an ice shop (Ralph's?). In the same strip mall is Lulu's Bistro and a takeout Chinese restaurant. it's diagonally across the street from Shop-Rite.

In New Jersey today, bagels are everywhere. Usually at least a dozen within a 3 mile radius of anywhere. With so many bagel choices, everyone has their favorite, with the differences in the style each place makes their bagels in.

There's really no clear winner, IMHO. Certainly enough good ones within a short distance that it would be ridiculous to go a long way for bagels.

Now the further you get from the NY Metro, the scarcer bagel shops become. Maybe that's an idea for starting up a business somewhere...

"Certainly enough good ones within a short distance that it would be ridiculous to go a long way for bagels. "

Ridiculous??? All depends on what you think is a good bagel.

Honestly, I'd rather travel a long way , buy a dozen and keep them in the freezer, than have to subsist on some of the bagels in my neighborhood.

Clearly a matter of opinion.

Honestly, I'd rather travel a long way , buy a dozen and keep them in the freezer, than have to subsist on some of the bagels in my neighborhood.

Amen to that, Cook!! That's exactly what I do with Super Dupers!! :wink:

Super Duper Bagels in Livingston. Teeny, tiny place, somewhat cranky owner, fantastic, hand-rolled bagels. It's been there for 15+ years...

SOMEWHAT CRANKY? That's the understatement of the decade! How about nasty asshole! I've lived in Livingston for 12 years and though she has GREAT bagels, she is one of the rudest retailers I've ever met. How ironic that many people refer to her as the Bagel Nazi...the irony being that she's an orthodox Jew.

I refuse to give my business to people who are rude and ornery now matter how good their product is. Believe me i've tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but everytime i go there she's either having a hissy fit over something or other, or she's in crisis mode. Given how good her bagels are (and they really are good) its amazing that she runs out of bagels at really odd times like 11 oclock on a sunday morning. She needs to get more help or more ovens. That's unforgivable. It would be like the guys at Amazing Hot Dog running out of hot dogs at 1:00 on a saturday afternoon.

On another note, i heard that Sunny Amster's and tabatchnicks in Vaux Hall are being torn down to make way for a Staples. thank God Syd's isn't closing. I hope sunny amster's can relocate. they are one of the best Jewish bakeries around......their bread, rolls, bagels and rugelach are second to none.

Jeff

Edited by alembic54 (log)

On another note, i heard that Sunny Amster's and tabatchnicks in Vaux Hall are being torn down to make way for a Staples. thank God Syd's isn't closing.

Ack! What, precisely, did you hear? What's the source? Rumor or in print/verifiable?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

On another note, i heard that Sunny Amster's and tabatchnicks in Vaux Hall are being torn down to make way for a Staples. thank God Syd's isn't closing.

Ack! What, precisely, did you hear? What's the source? Rumor or in print/verifiable?

I was out to dinner in the city at Bar Americain (great meal btw) last saturday night. My wife and i were with our close friends who live in Millburn and they told us. I don't know if they heard about it or read about it but they seemed sure.

SOMEWHAT CRANKY?    That's the understatement of the decade!  How about nasty asshole!  I've lived in Livingston for 12 years and though she has GREAT bagels, she is one of the rudest retailers I've ever met. How ironic that many people refer to her as the Bagel Nazi...the irony being that she's an orthodox Jew.

...everytime i go there she's either having a hissy fit over something or other, or she's in crisis mode.

Jeff

I must say, now I'm even more eager to go just so I can witness this for myself! :raz:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 1 month later...
Bagel Spot on Morris Ave. in Union.

Hot Bagels in Fair Lawn is the best! Its one of those things I miss about North Jersey. I've been living in South Jersey for over 20 years now and when my sister comes down from Fair Lawn I insist she brings bagels from Hot Bagels. I still remember waiting on line there on many Sunday mornings. Once I even was in back of one Nixon's Secret Service guys sent down from Saddle River on a secret mission for bagels.

I've tried in vain to find good bagels down here but it is near impossible even with a fine community like Margate nearby. If someone knows of one please share!

A couple of places farther north and east.

1st and foremost, my hometown place that has evolved over the years. GOldberg's Hot Bagels in Closter in Heidenberg Plaza. Over the last 15 years or so, they have really gotten it down to a science. However, the Grand Old Man of Bagels in the Area has to be Butch at Cresskill Hot Bagels. I am not sure the name of the road, but it is right down the block from the King's Supermarket, and anyone, ANYONE who grew up within 10 miles of this place knows it(BTW, the Giorgio's Pizza two doors down serves a fantastic slice of Pie). Cresskill hot bagels has had lines out the doors every weekend of my almost 3 decades, and, while i haven't been in nearly a year, I can't imagine it changing one bit.

:rolleyes: