• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camel Milk and Fig Trees

My husband grew up in the orient and he used to eat for breakfast each days some figs and dates and milk from the camel. Is it possible to found in the arabican stores the milk from the camel? Of course not fresh but maybe powder or frozen.

Can't help you for the milk but I did get a Tuscany Fig tree yesterday, it is quite nice and resistant, produces all year round. The grower had 3 greek, 2 Italian and one Egyptian Variety.

wow

can it work indoors?

i have a small condo and i do my herbs on the window

is it possible to do the fig tree inside?

please tell me where i can go and how much it cost thank yous!!!!!!!

Absolutely, in fact they produce all year around, fig tree do not really have a season. The are very resistant but must be stored indoors for the winter, they can go out as son as late April, very easy care but pretty expensive.

The italian cat at Jean Talon Market (north East side across from Samy) might still have a few. They are expensive, he had 2 or 3 left, small ones. He is a bit of a shister ie: he sells heirloom tomatoes that are not and Espelete peppers that are not. He does also have olive and bay leave trees that are obscenely expensive (my bay leave tree is 6 foot tall and originally purchased 25$, he sells 6 inch tall clones for 30$... same for his olive trees). I guess it's the typical horror of Jean Talon racket.

The fig trees are really nice though and well worth. After research, it appears I have a blanche d'argenteuil variety, originally French. I know there is a Quebecois all year around producer, he might have a few trees also, he has a small orchad that is covered in the winter.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/actualite/semai...22/figues.shtml

Edited by identifiler (log)

They should still have a few. Other than that, just keep your eyes open, I find the strangest things in the strangest places. My Bay leave tree was in a corner of a Botanix in the burbs not getting any mention from sales staff, fresh bay leaves is superb.

I would suggest trying some garden-flower shops in the italian district or even up around the marche central-arabic area... Lots of italian have huge fig trees in plastic pots in the backyards around the JTM. I'm gonna make clones for next year. Thank good my inlaws leave during the winter, I can store trees in their house...

Hi Toto2, Do you mean that you covered it outside for winter ? How did you go about that, did you trim it before and completely burried ? or did you basically fill it with 2 feet of leaves or just layed it sideway covered like roses ? I knew they could survive but I didn't want to risk it since I have plenty of room for about 8 trees (in-laws leave their house empty over winetr...).

Campo, the tall trees are about 80$, the small one (3 feet) are about 40$