• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Theoretical Perception vs. Empirical Reality

dejaq

I know, I know, we have all heard this before, but I am decidedly curious my ComPatriots in Arms,

on one side of the spectrum you have a complete imbecile running the show, could be a financial backer, as such that doesn’t even know how to do a Bank reconciliation…essentially "the Monkey flips the switch"... then two hundred and fifty six shades of gray away on the other side of the graph, you have an Authoritarian like my buddy, M. Richard @Citronelle, who can hold his own, and wrap rings around most “standard Military Pastry Chefs” out there.

I am conducting a “lite” survey,

who would you rather work for ,

A some one that you have to spoon feed everything to and get there

bedroom slippers to boot, or,

B. “the Empire” that will more than likely get up in your face, and tell you how it should be done.

Please give your thoughts, I have my own reflections; Pros and Cons, but I can’t seem to find a happy medium on this…

I welcome your opinions on this subject…

P.S. our Exec, I just found out this morning is leaving due to the A. reality,

it 's a pity, he really know's his stuff.

after a discussion with Musel, diplomatically speaking, Monday evening of this week, he too hinted at both of our shared experiences with Marvelous at a Corporate level, also dealing with the “A” reality... a number of years ago.

I am being polite, and professional, not going into more detail on this…very "sensy" subject, if you get my jist…

I guess there are

Gourmets and there are Gourmands,

There are pretentious “Foodies” and there are people that think they know food B/C they eat out a lot…drop 3 large bills for two w/wine and are dining in an establishment where the Exec and GM both get per verbatim there inspiration form Art Culianaire and don't even have enough creativity to uses original un

Plagiarized Verbiage such as Heirloom Tomato such and such with a ragout of such and such on their menus... or maybe B/C there Mommies and Daddies told them they had great taste or something like that...it really does take all kinds indeed…

Michael :wink:

Edited by dejaq (log)

C. I just wanna work for me.

I'm tired of working for all the A's, B's and D through Z's out there. I just got a nice cake order, bride's & groom's so I'm just gonna quietly get some more of those.

I guess I work somewhere in between A & B The owners, let's call them A, make the Executive Chef, not quite in my face B, possible, and he makes my job possible. We (the bake shop as well as the savory kitchen) have a tremendous amount of creativity and freedom. The Chef always seems to put his mark on what we do, even if it's a tiny mark, but hey! He's the Chef! And he encourages us all to be our best. Sounds sappy and unreal, but it's true. I've worked in huge corporate hotels and hated them. How does someone in Maryland or Chicago or Phoenix know what you're capable of, or what your guests want? And why is it that Executive Chefs in large hotels all at one time worked in pastry? And they have a better recipe than you, and they could do your job better, but they don't have time, so just do it their way, would you? I learned a lot from working with guys like that. Like, I don't want to do it again.

I've heard M. Richard is enormously talented, but I like someone a little less, shall we say, influentialin what I do. Just what I've heard. And I'd have to say that goes for a lot of the Chefs I've met in last couple of years who come to our place to do cooking schools. My favorite ones are those who come without a dessert for their dinner and let me do what I want, and trust me to make it make them look good. My least favorite are the micro-managers who breathe down my neck the whole time, then bitch me out for not doing it right.

Good luck in your transition from one chef to another. That's never easy. Just when you think you have one figured out, a new one comes in. And who knows how long he or she will last?

"B" because I can give it as much as I take. But the "B" better be able to handle it. some "B's" can't handle confrontation or argument. But people like that aren't worth working for nor will they be in business long. If you are going to get in somebodys face you better be ready to take it right back and you better be able to back up whatever your opinion is.

I don't like to spoon feed. If it comes down to that then nothing will get done.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

My least favorite are the micro-managers who breathe down my neck the whole time, then bitch me out for not doing it right. 

Oh my yes, deliver me! Right as in their way. Ever the more when they have three years experience and you have thirty. The half cannot be told.

B because A doesn't have an opinion. It's "Well, I don't know. What do you think? Really, I'm not sure. Can we try it this way? No, that's not good. How about something like this... No, the other was better.."

At least if someone has an opinion how something should be done, you have something to work with. You learn from it, or show you know more and change it. Or, like K8 said, you go with C and work for yourself.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

B.

Because it's much easier to work for someone you respect, who cares about the product that is being created, and has something to teach you.

Hopefully, B will actually posess these qualities. :raz: Plus there's the challenge of working for someone who knows more than you. My goal isn't just to pass the day, but to hopefully expand my knowledge at the same time.

When I get to the point that am able to do it all with no guidance, therefore the equivalent of working for an A, then I will be ready to go with C. :biggrin:

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse