• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glutton for Punishment

iharrison

A friend of mine needs some help from knowledgeable Quebec residents:

I just started a new gig for a food show called Glutton for Punishment with host Bob Blumer. The premise of the show is that he'll be going around the world and entering different extreme food contests.

I'm looking for food events/contest in Quebec for the month of July so I'm hoping you guys might know some or might know some people that will know. For example we were thinking it could be a goat milking contest in some Quebec village or something like that. The main thing is there has to be some physical challenge for the host ...

Can anyone help here?

COME OOONN!!

That's just about the must disgusting piece of xxxx I've heard in a long time.

Foodnetwork - Ah... didn't think they could sink any lower. Wrong. A new height in low.

And that's not to even getting into the condecending goat herding Quebec village, B.S.

These people have no shame???? Obviously NOT.

Hmmm, this got to be some kind of some kind of sick joke..... to see the reaction... oh, well.

Edited by sf&m (log)

COME OOONN!!

That's just about the must disgusting piece of xxxx I've heard in a long time.

Foodnetwork - Ah... didn't think they could sink any lower.  Wrong. A new height in low.

And that's not to even getting into the condecending goat herding Quebec village, B.S.

These people have no shame???? Obviously NOT.

Hmmm, this got to be some kind of some kind of sick joke..... to see the reaction... oh, well.

Geez, sf&m, you ought to know that "food" shows are not really about food anymore. They're about travel, comedy, advertorial & tie-ins (ever see "Thirsty Traveler"?), extreme feats (of eating, drinking, animal herding), etc... just about anything but food. This is nothing new, and the goat-milking thing is obviously simple pig-ignorance, not intended to be particularly offensive.

Anyway, there will be a tomato-peeling contest in my kitchen sometime in August or September. If Blumer can peel a bushel of plum tomatoes in my 40°C hellhole in three minutes or less, I won't kick his ass.

Edit: Oh wait, I see that the request is for July. In that case, the contest will be "Bobbing for corn on the cob."

Edited by Mr. Fagioli (log)

a bushel in 3 minutes ? Must be one of them slick city bushel... Is this for puree ? Buy a machine, it's worth it, I go through a lot of bushels of San Marz in late summer, wouldn't have it any other way.

Reguarding the extreme food contest, I'm sure there is something out there, although I don't think we have that relationship with food. I would say that the goat milk is a poor example and one that may explain sf&m's reaction. Goat milk is considered gold, ask any goat cheese maker, especially ask an organic goat milk producer. Goats milk are extremely variable in their production, from 0 to 300%. Seeing a foodnetwork guy at it would be boring becuase he would get no milk... It's also quite telling of the difference between someone who watches or produces a foodshow and someone who makes food. Reminds me of the carnivore who forgot that their steril piece of meat block came from an animal once (that had to be killed and gutted)... respect the food.

Again, having a weirdo chasing down a bunch of prized birds who are respectfully raised is not something a grower would get into. Grain gouging is done in a very relaxed and tamed environment, it is already a challenge for foie gras growers to do it properly without criticism, I don't think they will let someone chaise a their birds down. Maybe he should simply go Angus riding without his pants on and then have a big steak... I guess anything to entertain the city slickers.

I can see how there could be something like hot dogs or beans or corn festival out there but that probably isn't good enough for the mass.

Edited by identifiler (log)

Maybe he should simply go Angus riding without his pants on and then have a big steak...  hot dog and beans....

the mental images is too much for a lady like me

tihihihi!!!

bob blumer is funny

i went to see a foie gras farms and believe me it can be entertaining for the people that never saw it

He has already filmed a episode where he tries to become a champion oyster shucker in a week. (Yeah, good luck on that, pal!)

He made a complete mockery of the whole event which, we as professionals take very seriously.

The man is an ass and the only thing I find funny about this jerk is the fact that he is on tv at all. ( I mean, aside from being the poster child for Planned Parenthood)

I have met him twice in person and I come away from each time hating him more than I did before.

And what is with the hair?

I wish the Food Network would pull the plug on him in more ways than one.

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

He has already filmed a episode where he tries to become a champion oyster shucker in a week. (Yeah, good luck on that, pal!)

He made a complete mockery of the whole event which, we as professionals take very seriously.

The man is an ass and the only thing I find funny about this jerk is the fact that he is on tv at all. ( I mean, aside from being the poster child for Planned Parenthood)

I have met him twice in person and I come away from each time hating him more than I did before.

I don't necessarily disagree with you Oyster Guy. I caught an episode of Surreal Gourmet yesterday and found it completely unwatchable.

Just out of curiosity, what did Blumer do to make a mockery of the event?

Edited by iharrison (log)

:laugh: ouch!

When is the Oyster Shucking competition episode airing? I would be interested in seeing that.

Wow, making fun of an oyster shucking contest-outrageous!

Maybe you take it too seriously. :biggrin:

In case folks are not aware, although he currently lives in L.A., Bob Blumer was born & raised in Montreal. He's a local boy who has made a good name for himself in a tough business. He deserves credit & not the dissing that he's receiving on this thread. His uniqueness sets him apart & his hair is part of that deal. It is TV after all.

• 10 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread up (apologies if there is another more current one). I watched the Oyster Shucking Episode of Glutton for Punishment last night and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. (The only one I've seen so far.)

First of all let me say that I absolutely cannot stand the Surreal Gourmet and the persona Bob Blumer utilizes in it. Having said that I started watching Glutton for Punishment last night and got caught up in the whole process of becoming a shucking champ. As long as the competition was on the level (and he and the organizer swear to the camera that it was) then I have to hand it to the guy (although I would have liked to have seen him go up against the female champ who looked like the Terminator.) He placed very well.

I was at a coffee show in Vancouver recently where he was entered in the Barrista competition and all the coffee geeks were blown away with how good he was. (I won't say how he did.)

I'm not sure how well the series will hold up but it's a lot more interesting than Bobby Flay's Smackdown (ambush) show. I'd rather watch a motivated guy try something out of his area of expertise vs a guy who has all the skills, preparing behind the scenes with a pro team to take down some person who has a single specialty!

Uh oh! Just saw the Beni Hana chef episode where Blumer has to learn to perform a routine while slicing and dicing pseudo Japanese food in front of an audience. Weak concept and weak execution. Looks likes this is going to be a pick and choose series.