• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breadline In Decline?

Busboy

Aside from the fresh greens and the chatter with the farmers, one of the best things about the opening of the Mt. Pleasant Farmers Market each spring was the return of the Breadline bread, fresh on Saturday mornings. Alas, since the acquisition of the Breadline by La Brioche Doree, apparently a French attempt to revenge themselves on globalizing Americans by foisting soulless pseudo-French baguettes on us, the bread seems not so much declining in quality, as plummeting. Anyone else noticed this?

And, will it be worth eating at Michel Richard's Citronelle now that the Ciabbatta -- originally named Palladin, after Jean-Louis -- is no longer a delight? :laugh:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Not only not off topic but a public service if you get an answer. I generally like Atwaters at the Dupont Market, but baguettes don't seem to be their strength, and Bonaparte kind of an in the mood thing.

I'm on the pavement

And, will it be worth eating at Michel Richard's Citronelle now that the Ciabbatta -- originally named Palladin, after Jean-Louis -- is no longer a delight? :laugh:

Please explain. :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If I'm not mistaken, Breadline supplies the bread at Citronelle, among other places in town.

Correct?

Bill Russell

If I'm not mistaken, Breadline supplies the bread at Citronelle, among other places in town.

Correct?

I was at a cooking demonstration at Citronelle and at one point Michel went off on a mock rant (and I will not phoneticize his words, but mentally add a French accent to get the proper effect) that went some thing like this:

"This stupid bread! People come up to me all the time and don't say anything about he meal, they say 'I love your bread.' IT IS THE ONLY THING WE DO NOT MAKE IN THE RESTAURANT!"

I felt a little guilty at that point for thingking of the bread as one of the highlights of my meals there...and then I went out anb bought a couple of loaves.

Oh, well. Next time there will be room for a cheese course.

I'm on the pavement

Correct?

I was at a cooking demonstration at Citronelle and at one point Michel went off on a mock rant (and I will not phoneticize his words, but mentally add a French accent to get the proper effect) that went some thing like this:

"This stupid bread! People come up to me all the time and don't say anything about he meal, they say 'I love your bread.' IT IS THE ONLY THING WE DO NOT MAKE IN THE RESTAURANT!"

I felt a little guilty at that point for thingking of the bread as one of the highlights of my meals there...and then I went out anb bought a couple of loaves.

Oh, well. Next time there will be room for a cheese course.

Hah, that is one of the few things that I don't particularly remember from my incredible meal there. I think I consciously made an effort to stay away from the bread. It is a good thing I did too :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Would it be off-topic to ask if anyone recommends any baguettes currently on sale in this area?

The Swiss Bakery in Burke. Go early.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

"and Bonaparte kind of an in the mood thing."

I'm always in the mood for Bonaparte bread. I haven't found anything else close around Annapolis. We have a shop in Annapolis that has it (at a serious premium) and I stop by the store in Savage Mill when I'm up that way. Unfortunately, our shop in Edgewater that used to have it doesn't anymore.

Would it be off-topic to ask if anyone recommends any baguettes currently on sale in this area?

I'll put in my vote for the coffee shop just a couple store fronts down from cheesetique in Del Ray. The crust was actually - crispy and crackly, not chewy!- and the loaf had a good a good flavor. Everytime I buy some cheese from Jill, I buy a baguette (that she also sells from them in her shop) to go with.

Sorry I can't be more specific on the name- anyone know which shop I'm talking about?

I'll put in my vote for the coffee shop just a couple store fronts down from cheesetique in Del Ray. The crust was actually - crispy and crackly, not chewy!- and the loaf had a good a good flavor. Everytime I buy some cheese from Jill, I buy a baguette (that she also sells from them in her shop) to go with.

Sorry I can't be more specific on the name- anyone know which shop I'm talking about?

Caboose

"and Bonaparte kind of an in the mood thing."

I'm always in the mood for Bonaparte bread.  I haven't found anything else close around Annapolis.  We have a shop in Annapolis that has it (at a serious premium) and I stop by the store in Savage Mill when I'm up that way.  Unfortunately, our shop in Edgewater that used to have it doesn't anymore.

When they sell at the Dupont market I find that their crust can lack pizzazz. Pretty good stuff, though.

I don't know if it had anything to do with this thread, but someone asked in Todd Kliman's on-line chat "Any truth to the spreading rumor that the quality of Bread Line's products has declined precipitously since it was purchased by a French company?"

Todd was averred that he couldn't answer, but that he had had an unfortunate experience with an egg salad sandwich the other day.

I'm on the pavement