• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cool, casual place for lunch in Toronto

Khadija

I'm from Toronto, but it has been about five years since I last lived there. I'll be back in the city for a conference and some visiting with family and friends in a couple of weeks, and I've been thinking about where to have casual meals (especially lunches). Every time I go to Toronto these days, I can vaguely remember some of the places I like and where they are, but my memory is getting too foggy to remember a lot of specific things, like names, of restaurants. I'm good at saying "there is this Malaysian place on Baldwin St.," and then dragging someone there only to find out that it has been closed for years. And I'm sure there are new places that I don't know about.

In particular, I'm thinking about where to go on a lunch date with an old flame. I haven't seen him in about ten years, and he just recently looked me up. We are both in committed relationships, and not looking to rekindle romance, so things like oysters and candlelight are not necessary. However, given our history, I kind of hope to pretend that I am somewhat :cool:; that is, in the know about where to go for a great casual lunch. We are both grad students, we will both probably be hanging out downtown, in the vicinity of UofT, pre and post lunch, and we will not want to break the bank for this type of occasion. Any ideas?

I'm from Toronto, but it has been about five years since I last lived there.  I'll be back in the city for a conference and some visiting with family and friends in a couple of weeks, and I've been thinking about where to have casual meals (especially lunches).  Every time I go to Toronto these days, I can vaguely remember some of the places I like and where they are, but my memory is getting too foggy to remember a lot of specific things, like names, of restaurants.  I'm good at saying "there is this Malaysian place on Baldwin St.," and then dragging someone there only to find out that it has been closed for years.  And I'm sure there are new places that I don't know about.

In particular, I'm thinking about where to go on a lunch date with an old flame.  I haven't seen him in about ten years, and he just recently looked me up.  We are both in committed relationships, and not looking to rekindle romance, so things like oysters and candlelight are not necessary.  However, given our history, I kind of hope to pretend that I am somewhat :cool:; that is, in the know about where to go for a great casual lunch.  We are both grad students, we will both probably be hanging out downtown, in the vicinity of UofT, pre and post lunch, and we will not want to break the bank for this type of occasion.  Any ideas?

Why not eat at Hart House? The restaurant on the second floor is only open for lunch and serves seasonal stuff. It's very nice. Splendido is a short walk too.

Mark

Is Kensington Kitchen open for lunches?

If you're shooting for a 'cool' vibe there's been a bunch of restaurants that have opened recently in the Kensington Market area that aren't grungy but are still edgy. They won't be terribly formal, but they will also be cheap. There's a place (can't remember the name) that does a thing where you pick a kind of rice and then various toppings that's pretty good.

Baldwin St is still in general a good bet - I had a nice lunch at the Japanese restaurant there last year (sorry - again, I can't remember the name!)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Thanks for the input!

Hart House is a nice possibility, although I might want to try for something a little "edgier". I might rethink that, though, because it's very nice and dependable and the location is great. I think Splendido is too upscale for my purposes.

I might try Kensington Market is a good suggestion, but I might want to nail down something specific just so I can use the restaurant as a meeting place. Similarly, while Baldwin St. is a standby, I just don't know exactly what is and isn't there. I'll look up the Japanese Place there, as well as try to get some info on what's open in Kensington.

I'm from Toronto, but it has been about five years since I last lived there.  I'll be back in the city for a conference and some visiting with family and friends in a couple of weeks, and I've been thinking about where to have casual meals (especially lunches).  Every time I go to Toronto these days, I can vaguely remember some of the places I like and where they are, but my memory is getting too foggy to remember a lot of specific things, like names, of restaurants.  I'm good at saying "there is this Malaysian place on Baldwin St.," and then dragging someone there only to find out that it has been closed for years.  And I'm sure there are new places that I don't know about.

In particular, I'm thinking about where to go on a lunch date with an old flame.  I haven't seen him in about ten years, and he just recently looked me up.  We are both in committed relationships, and not looking to rekindle romance, so things like oysters and candlelight are not necessary.  However, given our history, I kind of hope to pretend that I am somewhat :cool:; that is, in the know about where to go for a great casual lunch.  We are both grad students, we will both probably be hanging out downtown, in the vicinity of UofT, pre and post lunch, and we will not want to break the bank for this type of occasion.  Any ideas?

Hey, That's my girl you Cad! :laugh:

Kensington Market...Go to Torito. GREAT little tapas place, currently quite hot, and it won't break the bank. Also in Kensington, if it's a nice day you could sit on the patio at Amadeu's and eat very good Portuguese food whilst drinking sangria. La Palette is a terrific and inexpensive French restaurant...they even serve horse, although it's not on the menu to appease the squeamish. Finally, El Trompo has not so much in the way of atmosphere, but serves truly authentic Mexico City-style tacos.

On Baldwin, Konnichi-Wa has very, very good ramen noodles - closest I've had to true Japanese street food in Toronto. Or you could get the always-excellent "2 lobsters for $26.95" deal at Wah Sing, which is one of the best Chinese seafood places in town. Lastly, John's Italian has good pizza, and like all places on Baldwin a nice patio.

Have fun.

Edited by child of the storm (log)

On Baldwin, Konnichi-Wa has very, very good ramen noodles

Aha, that was the Japanese place I'm thinking of!

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I am torn. I would like to try Torito, but Baldwin is really my favourite place to eat in Toronto. I forgot about the two for one lobster special. Maybe the best bet will be to meet at John's for a drink, and then make a collaborative decision about what we feel like on Baldwin.

Edited by Khadija (log)

On Baldwin, Konnichi-Wa has very, very good ramen noodles

Aha, that was the Japanese place I'm thinking of!

not to be confused with koni-sushi-ya

also on baldwin

konichawa (on the south side) has excellent noodles

koni-sushi-ya (on the north side) is average at best, but Samuel L Jackson has been there and signed the wall (! - there are photos to substantiate this)

torito and la palette are both great, but i don't think either is open for lunch

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

torito and la palette are both great, but i don't think either is open for lunch

I was going to point this out about La Palette too, but I wasn't entirely sure … You might want to check, but I've walked past La Palette a number of times around lunch time and noticed it was closed.