• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternative uses for foodstuffs

LaNiña

The eggwhite thread lead me to think about what we might use food for instead of well, for food. I use egg whites on my face as a masque, egg yolks in my hair for conditioner, white vinegar when I boil linens, salt when I spill wine...

What else?

Uh. Raw rice in an incense bowl, barley husks in cushions. That's it. :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Is this topic broad enough to include a discussion of things we eat that aren't food?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Bags of frozen peas or cut corn as an ice pack. Tommy, haven't you ever used them that way? Like, every other day?

BTW, Tommy, I'm honored you've changed your signature to quote me.

Edit: I see you removed it; guess you're still mad, eh? :angry::blink:

I think it was Hitchcock that used a frozen leg of lamb as a murder weapon in a TV show.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Sheesh....just had a thought....hope they weren't sprayed

Oh, they were sprayed alright. There are no federal regulations for pesticide residues on cut flowers.

As for the O.P., how about buckwheat hull filled pillows? Jojoba oil as a lubricant?

Animal fats are widely used in industry. I should know, I used to live near a rendering plant. :blink:

Didn't they used to make insulin from pork pancreaseses?

When I was a wee lad and just discovered myself, I found a good piece of fresh liver would work wonders. But I never told my mother.

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind with your question, Nina? :biggrin:

Oh yeah. An ex of mine, Indian Jew, told me about the practice of massaging a mixture of oil and chick pea flour into the skin of newborns.  

I....can't.....help....myself........must.....say ...it......................

What temp.................aaaargghhhh

...I ..managed to resist.....phew....

Place whole cloves across an ant trail. The ants are completely disoriented by the pungency, and return whence they came. (Once I called home from across country and my son described an horrific ant invasion. I told him to sprinkle cloves across the trails. He did. Powdered cloves, permanently staining the kitchen floor mahogany brown. WHOLE CLOVES. Whole cloves. God is in the details. Nevertheless, when we returned home, the ants were gone.)

eGullet member #80.

Start at 450 for the first twenty minutes. Then 375, ten minutes a pound.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

(jaybee @ Jul 25 2002, 10:18 PM)

Start at 450 for the first twenty minutes. Then 375, ten minutes a pound.

Baste?

No need. In fact there's a lot of fat.

Recipe courtesy of Swift

Clickety Swift

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.

You mean like kids that eat Elmer's glue?

No, not Elmer's glue, the thick paste that came in huge plastic jugs. You know, the kind where the art teacher would scoop out globs with a wooden ruler and put it on brown paper towels for each kid?

Elmer's glue was used for painting the palm of your hand so you could let it dry and then peel it off. :biggrin: