• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maps, Lime presses, and other things

Hello everyone, there are a number of things I've been trying to find in Montreal related to food and I thought I would post on e-gullet to see if I could get any assistance. First and foremost is a lime-press, these little gadgets are great and after using one I don't think I can ever go back to the dreary frustration of using a fork and my hands? Anyone have any idea as to where I might find one in montreal?

Next are maps of the Jean Talon market and Chinatown; I have been able to find a nice map of the Atwater market but no such luck for these two places.

I am also in search of a butcher that carries a lot of free range/ethically raised meat, I know of a place in the Atwater market but it seems a bit on the expensive side and is a little out of the way. I live in the Mcgill ghetto, are there any butchers of this sort relatively close to this part of downtown?

I am also searching for a source for high quality, minimally processed butter and cream. I have been told that there is a fromagerie at the Jean Talon which carries unpasteurized cream but I don't know which one, does this mean that they make butter out of this cream too?

I have been scouring the city for almost a year or so since I moved here and am attempting to compile as much information pertaining to quality ingredients as possible. I am mostly interested in asian cooking, Indian and Thai and particular and have managed to gather some good resources for these cuisines, so if anyone has any questions pertaining to Indian or Thai cooking in montreal please feel free to ask.

Philippe de Vienne's shop La Dépense in Jean Talon Market has lime presses. The real deal, imported from Asia, not plastic junk made for "Ye Olde Gourmet Kitchen Shoppe".

Paul

Hello everyone, there are a number of things I've been trying to find in Montreal related to food and I thought I would post on e-gullet to see if I could get any assistance. First and foremost is a lime-press[...]

Philippe de Vienne will also have some nice stuff for asian food such as kefir leaves and so on. He keeps a couple of goodies.

I also suggest a trip to Marche Hawai, it's a ways out for you but nothing comes close.

Marché Hawaï

1999, boul. Marcel-Laurin (in Les Galeries Saint-Laurent)

Open seven days a week (Sat-Wed 9am-7pm, Thurs-Fri 9am-9pm)

The meat place you are taking about is St Vincent, they are also present at Jean Talon now. I just get my pork there and sometimes a lamb leg but these folks deal with organic and there is a stretch between offering organic and high quality meats. For example, I have a local butcher in the burbs that offers a 3a bavette and then aged by him, it's pure heaven and I would never exchange that piece of meat with an organic piece... Technically speaking right now, all birds are not organic as they are not allowed to run out anymore at anytime since H5N1 virus call a couple months ago by Provincial body.

This is why I just get my pork at St-Vincent and get A grade stuff at places like Slovenia.

Finally, I believe the cream you are talking about is La Creme d'Antan and all Antan products. Although the cream is heaven, I do think that it is pasteurized but i am certain, it certainly does not have 1 million emulsifiers-stabilisers , that is certain. These products are in most market cheese shops in the fridge.

Hello everyone, there are a number of things I've been trying to find in Montreal related to food and I thought I would post on e-gullet to see if I could get any assistance. First and foremost is a lime-press, these little gadgets are great and after using one I don't think I can ever go back to the dreary frustration of using a fork and my hands? Anyone have any idea as to where I might find one in montreal?

Next are maps of the Jean Talon market and Chinatown; I have been able to find a nice map of the Atwater market but no such luck for these two places.

I am also in search of a butcher that carries a lot of free range/ethically raised meat, I know of a place in the Atwater market but it seems a bit on the expensive side and is a little out of the way. I live in the Mcgill ghetto, are there any butchers of this sort relatively close to this part of downtown?

I am also searching for a source for high quality, minimally processed butter and cream. I have been told that there is a fromagerie at the Jean Talon which carries unpasteurized cream but I don't know which one, does this mean that they make butter out of this cream too?

I have been scouring the city for almost a year or so since I moved here and am attempting to compile as much information pertaining to quality ingredients as possible. I am mostly interested in asian cooking, Indian and Thai and particular and have managed to gather some good resources for these cuisines, so if anyone has any questions pertaining to Indian or Thai cooking in montreal please feel free to ask.

Hi. You can get great butter at Qui L'ait Cru shop in Jean Talon market. I believe they also carry cream.

Alida