• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kraft food's "Food & Family"

Kim Shook

I thought that we had discussed this before, but couldn't find the thread. It is a 'magazine' that you can subscribe to for free and it's put out by Kraft foods. Essentially one long advert. Which is fine - it's free, after all. But it is very, very snark-worthy. One of the recipes offered is for grilled pizza. I was reminded of the most recent blog. The recipe calls for one ingredient: 1 DiGiorno Thin Crispy Cust Supreme Pizza. You put it on a grill. You heat it up. You take it off. Serves 5. :laugh::laugh::laugh: ! I love this. I am going to subscribe. I can read this while watching Sandra Lee.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: And then your mind will turn to mush and all your tastebuds will die...

Honestly though -- if you have kids, I've gotten some cute ideas out of that magazine that I have translated to real baking...

I don't know why I get the magazine though -- it's addressed to my father who passed away 32 years ago in NJ, and I live in CT... :blink:

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

There was another thread. I don't know, occasionally they come up with usable ideas, particularly if you're looking for family-pleasers. You don't have to use the Kraft products if you can make a better from-scratch version. For picnics, I do a marinated vegetable salad I got from their magazine (but change the dressing to my own recipe). Last Halloween, they had a very cute Jack o'lantern cake baked in a Bundt pan.

For anyone who is interested in the magazine, Kraft also sends out email newsletters every few weeks.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I get it too... Honestly, I mostly get it for the presentation and dessert display ideas; as SuziSushi mentioned, some of the cake decorating ideas are nice, and the cookie decorations and recipes are usually good. What can I say... I like the pretty pictures! :raz:

I've also used some of their recipes as jumping-off points for dinner dishes, but I can't use most of them as written - I just don't have that many bottles of Wish-Bone Italian Vinagrette laying around the house :blink:

I get it, and I have gotten a few ideas from it. But mainly, I clip the coupons.

Since I don't have children, a good number of the recipes in Food & Familyreally aren't addressed to me, but there are some that I can adapt.

None of them, however, would call for Wish-Bone bottled salad dressing. That's a Unilever product. Kraft has its own line of bottled dressings bearing the Kraft name, plus the Good Seasons brand it acquired when it bought General Foods.

Food-historical trivia: Friday afternoon, I went past the birthplace of Wish-Bone salad dressing. The Wishbone Restaurant, a comfort-food classic, was for many years located at 45th and Main streets in Kansas City, Mo. A nondescript office building now occupies its site just northeast of the Country Club Plaza. Like Ken's Steak House in Framingham, Mass., after it, the restaurant's salad dressings were so popular that they eventually were bottled for sale in stores.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3