• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Patios

As the heat wave continues, my unairconditioned apartment is no place to spend a sunny afternoon/evening. I am searching for some good patios. I started this year with Monk McQueens. The view was there. The food was lacking. Have had similar past experiences at Lift.

I have fond memories of the Jericho Sailing club. Not fancy, but great burgers and huge plates of nachos. Since I was barred from the Vancouver Yaght club for inappropriate use of a seadoo, what choice do I have?

Suggestions and comments please.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

I am interested in the Patios

Milestones at English Bay anyone?

but I am even more interested in "innappropriate use of a Seadoo"

There has got to be a great story in there somewhere.

There's a nice patio in around Jericho. But I don't want to tell everyone about it in case it becomes flooded with people. But I'm sure if you happened to be sailing past it you won't miss it. The patio is super nice with an incredible view of the ocean and the boats on the water.

Maybe not that centreally located though. It's pretty far west.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

There's a nice patio in around Jericho.  But I don't want to tell everyone about it in case it becomes flooded with people.  But I'm sure if you happened to be sailing past it you won't miss it.  The patio is super nice with an incredible view of the ocean and the boats on the water.

Maybe not that centreally located though.  It's pretty far west.

Rather than expend an extraordinary amount of energy decyphering your code, can I just conclude that you are talking about the same Jericho Sailing Centre that was mentioned in the first post?

Milestones? Haven't ever eaten there. Anyone have any insight. I've seen it down on that street at the corner by the other street kinda close to the beach. By where the popcorn guys are. (Off topic; Anyone know which popcorn vendor is best? My dad says Cart #41, but he also likes that Mexican ice cream guy that cruises Kits, so what does he know.)

And thanks for the heads up that Monks and Lift had substandard fare, I'll defo keep that in mind.

Rather than expend an extraordinary amount of energy decyphering your code, can I just conclude that you are talking about the same Jericho Sailing Centre that was mentioned in the first post?

Note to self, read ALL of the first post before opening my yapper. Thanks B. I hadn't noticed it was mentioned.

Anyone been on the patio of Red Robins on broadway and Oak? It looked like a decent patio (as patios go).

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Dude, Red Robin rawks! Check out the kid's menu:

Kids Menu

For our friends 10 and under. Each selection includes a bottomless soft drink. Rad Robin Burgers, Grilled Cheesewich, Small Fry, and Chick-Chick-Chicken Fingers include bottomless steak fries.

RAD ROBIN BURGER

Mini Cheese or Mini Bacon - Choices of Mayo, Onions, Pickles, Relish, Tomato and Lettuce

CHEESEY MAC ’N CHEESEY

RED ROBINETTI SPAGHETTI

RED’S PIZZERIA PIZZA

Choose either Cheese or Pepperoni style

GRILLED CHEESEWICH

SMALL FRY (Junior Fish & Chips)

CHICK-CHICK-CHICKEN FINGERS

KID'S OLD FASHIONED SHAKES

KID'S SUNDAES

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Since I was barred from the Vancouver Yaght club for inappropriate use of a seadoo, what choice do I have?

Sorry I can't help but wonder what you did with the seadoo to get banned :shock:

ANywaysss.. if food's important, Ocean 6 Seventeen as the critics rave; C and Nu are the usual hits.. if you don't mind casual fare try the Sylvia Hotel - it's a nice spot.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I am fan of Nu's - I think the food is very good and the deck is outstanding. Plus an excellent selection of cooling drinks.

A Gill really dug her O617 experience - but I am not such a fan. And I am not just trying to be contrarian with Ms Gill. The deck is very small - and you really feel like you are someone's little porch rather than a restaurant deck. Plus the deck is west facing and you get a full on sunstroke if you sit there at the wrong time of day.

I've been a number of times - but the service has been very spotty. The first time I went with friends - we were completely ignored - despite ordering a number of drinks and three full on courses. I think we were not pretty enough for them.

I am fan of Nu's - I think the food is very good and the deck is outstanding.  Plus an excellent selection of cooling drinks.

A Gill really dug her O617 experience - but I am not such a fan.  And I am not just trying to be contrarian with Ms Gill.  The deck is very small - and you really feel like you are someone's little porch rather than a restaurant deck.  Plus the deck is west facing and you get a full on sunstroke if you sit there at the wrong time of day.

I've been a number of times - but the service has been very spotty.  The first time I went with friends - we were completely ignored - despite ordering a number of drinks and three full on courses.  I think we were not pretty enough for them.

Hey, you are pretty enough for us here ! ( Disclaimer : We have low standards in that Dept. )

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I am fan of Nu's - I think the food is very good and the deck is outstanding.  Plus an excellent selection of cooling drinks.

A Gill really dug her O617 experience - but I am not such a fan.  And I am not just trying to be contrarian with Ms Gill.  The deck is very small - and you really feel like you are someone's little porch rather than a restaurant deck.  Plus the deck is west facing and you get a full on sunstroke if you sit there at the wrong time of day.

I've been a number of times - but the service has been very spotty.  The first time I went with friends - we were completely ignored - despite ordering a number of drinks and three full on courses.  I think we were not pretty enough for them.

Nu is my current (resisting the urge to say "new") new favorite patio. Last year it was O617. I guess that makes me hipper than A. Gill. Or at least prettier.

A.

Bear in mind that there have been some changes since the last time we were there for lunch last summer. Chef/Owner Sean Cousins, formerly of Raincity Grill, is now at the helm, and I'm interested in going back to see what he's got in his culinary bag of tricks.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Cheap and cheerful: Go Fish!

A Patio Without a View (but quite pleasant anyway for drinks or a casual meal): Kingston Taphouse and Bar.

I just tried out a patio I had never been to before - Seawall Bistro at the Bayshore in Coal Harbour (between Lift and Carderos). While Carderos was packed, Seawall was dead. (I had a 50% off discount, and figured it was worth a try, as the location is very good for me). The food is not great, but the patio was a nice spot. It's all in the shade, though. Which was a bit chilly on the day I went (even with the heaters), but might be very nice on a very hot day if you want an off the beaten path stop after walking around the seawall. Prices of drinks seem a little high, (which is to be expected since it is really just a hotel restaurant). Service was stellar though. They have a regular dinner menu, plus standard "appy's" type menu like chicken wings, nachos, peel and eat shrimp, so it might be a good place for snacks and drinks on a really hot day. Of my meal, the dessert was the only thing that was really good. The creme brulee was made in a very shallow wide dish - higher surface area to volume ratio, so you get more of the crispy caramelized sugar top. Yum. B52 ice cream served with it was unnecessary. My salmon entree was a bit like that too. Didn't seem like the different components were chosen because the flavours worked well together but instead picked by some sort of crap shoot, with the primary objective to make the menu description sound enticing (or at least they didn't work for me, salmon was with a decent citrus glaze, but the grapefruit segments, and watercress garnish, and somewhat bitter zucchini "noodles" and grilled asparagus were all fine alone, but didn't really taste good together, no matter what combination I put in my mouth).

Surprised about the comment on food at Lift. I just went there for a quick drink one night at the bar, and had their mini food and drink pairings (mini cocktail and bite), and thoroughly enjoyed it, and it made me want to go back.

Nancy

edited to add: oops, didn't really pay enough attention to the title of the thread. Hmm...a view AND excellent food is tough. I like Nu though. And I guess there's always C!

Edited by Dumpling Girl (log)

I'm assuming that was the same day I ran into your group of 4 there. The service that day was the worst I have ever seen there. I'm glad to hear that they have had some changes. Maybe I'll give it another try. I haven't returned since that day either! (I actually tried once for lunch to find that they were no longer open for lunch.)

Cheers!

I'm assuming that was the same day I ran into your group of 4 there.  The service that day was the worst I have ever seen there.  I'm glad to hear that they have had some changes.  Maybe I'll give it another try.  I haven't returned since that day either!  (I actually tried once for lunch to find that they were no longer open for lunch.)

Cheers!

Actually - that was a better service day! I had gone a couple of nights before to check things out - and the service was even worse. Really clueless. If things have improved - it may be worth checking out - but that patio is really cramped - and would not be a factor in my decision to go or not.

After the BC Wine Tasting yesterday we tried to go to Cardero's patio. It was packed and we sat in the pub. The wok squid are quite tasty, but not as good as Phnom Penh. Maybe Phnom Penh should open a patio out the front. Then again, not sure about the view.

Gastronomista

Matt: Thanks for the tip next time my post will be longer and much more enjoyable to read. Back to patios another great spot is the Water Street Cafe, especially during the Jazz festival.

kevfoodvan

Dockside on Granville Island

Isn't there some rule about your sig being longer than the content of your post?

-- Matt.

Bear in mind that there have been some changes since the last time we were there for lunch last summer. Chef/Owner Sean Cousins, formerly of Raincity Grill, is now at the helm, and I'm interested in going back to see what he's got in his culinary bag of tricks.

I have been there since the changeover, and had the impression the staff person was new to this restaurant (but an experienced server). We went on a slow day for brunch and had excellant service and good food. I had a chocolate tasting trio for dessert that was very good. I'm curious to go back and try more of the new menu--new takes on comfort food standards.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West